• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] AD&D 2e Monstrous Compendium Appendix Vol. I

MacBalance

Validated User
Is that the 1e Fiend Folio? That would be an interesting one. I'd like to see someone make it through the Planescape MCAs and would start another attempt myself, but not until I can get them in PDF.

Going back to 1e, even Monster Manual II would be interesting for historical reasons.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Yeah, I want to do the Planescape Appendicies as well (especially since it seems King Snarf has stopped doing his lets read of volume 1).

Seriously, I love the Planescape monsters. I never had any of the books aside from the compendium, but I suppose now is a perfect time to start picking them up to mine for pathfinder ideas.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
There is the famous (British) 1e FF, but I was more referring to the 2e FF MCA. I could do both, of course, as they don't have too much in common.

Crinos

Validated User
There is the famous (British) 1e FF, but I was more referring to the 2e FF MCA. I could do both, of course, as they don't have too much in common.
I actually had the 1e FF a long time ago (My brother gave me a copy. I think I sold it on Ebay or something), I liked the book. but the 1e monster manuals weren't quite as...tidy as the 2nd edition ones.

MacBalance

Validated User
I actually had the 1e FF a long time ago (My brother gave me a copy. I think I sold it on Ebay or something), I liked the book. but the 1e monster manuals weren't quite as...tidy as the 2nd edition ones.
The early 2e use of the binders for monsters had the side-effect that every monster had a page to fill (barring aggregation like the early Golems, Dragons, etc.) which I feel encouraged more background and sometimes more complex mechanics.

Both would be interesting. Was the 2e one the initial incarnations of the Baatezu and Tanarri for that edition?

Crinos

Validated User
Well, I think in the outer planes appendix they were still referred to as Demons and Devils (I may be wrong). But by the time we got to planescape they had switched over to calling them Baatezu and Tanari.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
That is for sure. I was just looking at them last night and the number of critters in the 1e version cut from the 2e version was far too many in my book.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
That is for sure. I was just looking at them last night and the number of critters in the 1e version cut from the 2e version was far too many in my book.
I think that the name is mainly marketing. The 2e MCA isn't particularly fiendish and might as well be the MCA Vol. III.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
The 1e version isn't fiendish. It took its name from The Fiend Factory, a series of articles in White Dwarf. What I did notice is that most of the monsters with a science fantasy vibe were among those cut.

Top Bottom