• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] AD&D 2e Monstrous Manual [Part III, Ki~?]

Of the following monsters from the first half of the MM, which do you like best?

• Ankheg

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • Beholder

Votes: 58 28.6%
  • Carrion Crawler

Votes: 22 10.8%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Elf

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Feyr

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Gnoll

Votes: 37 18.2%
  • Hobgolin

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Imp

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Jackalwere

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Kenku

Votes: 18 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

noisms

Booze Hound
Validated User
Part 3. Will this be the final installment of our epic trek? Let's see.

Kirre

I'd forgotten all about the Kirre - and it's easy to see why, because it's quite a forgettable beastie; really all it is is a glorified psionic tiger with horns and six legs. It has no special abilities beyond what is suggested by that: lots of attacks per round (7) and some psychic blast type things.

In fact it's really a rather anticlimactic way of beginning this third section of the thread. Hopefully things will be looking up tomorrow, when Kobolds rear their ugly little heads.

In the mean time, seeing as how we're now over half way through the MM, a poll based on a broadly representative smattering of popular entries.

Last edited:

6inTruder

Oscars are Duche!
Validated User
GAH! Fucking Dark Sun monsters shouldn't be IN the basic MM!! They could'a put in the Flumph and it'd'a been better!

edit: Oh yeah, and I chose Gnoll, because of my idea with the Flinds being the females of the species. Which I still rather like.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Out of that bunch, the carrion crawler. I like the ankheg and feyr, but they don't invoke that visceral horror the crawler does.

And where is the deepspawn?

6inTruder

Oscars are Duche!
Validated User
Actually, I'd be inclined towards the Anubian Jacklewere too. But only one vote...

So... Bollocks to the Kirre and on to the KOBOLD!

demiurge1138

Validated User
The kirre pisses me off. Why?

1) It has a gore attack. That's cool. But then why do its horns face backwards, where they can't actually poke at anybody?

2) The flavor-text mentions that it is a favored game animal for many peoples in Athas' jungles. No wonder everybody is starving on that planet. Don't feed only on top carnivores, people! There's not much nutrition in 'em!

kami2awa

Validated User
The kirre pisses me off. Why?

1) It has a gore attack. That's cool. But then why do its horns face backwards, where they can't actually poke at anybody?
Many really animals with backward-pointing horns can gore people. It just requires that the animal can get its head down far enough.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heck, it's a magical critter ... teh horns might be able to unfurl, like a birthday party noisemaker, to impale someone as well.

Bonus points if it makes the same sound. :)

Just wanted to say, here, that I missed alllll ove rthe old threadstuff and have been just recently reading and jotting ideas like a crazy person. These threads are *gold* and I'm thrilled to finally be in on the ground floor of one. (Just past the Carrion Crawler, currently.) ... Long, LONG pile of reading yet to go, but, you'll have my nutburger self contributing from here on out.

Ithaeur

Relic Unicorn
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Gnolls for the win! :)

And yeah, kirre is a disappointing monster. I'm sure they had more interesting critters with wider applicability in other settings in Dark Sun, so why on Athas did they go with something this lame?

This sort of "one monster from setting X, one monster from Y, and ten monsters from Z, with half the information needed to run them missing" thing is the biggest problem with the 2e MM. It really betrays its origins as a collection of monsters from several Monstrous Compendiums.

Ah well, the kobolds will be cool. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom