• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] AD&D 2e Monstrous Manual [Part III, Ki~?]

Of the following monsters from the first half of the MM, which do you like best?

• Ankheg

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • Beholder

Votes: 58 28.6%
  • Carrion Crawler

Votes: 22 10.8%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Elf

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Feyr

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Gnoll

Votes: 37 18.2%
  • Hobgolin

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Imp

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Jackalwere

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Kenku

Votes: 18 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

noisms

Booze Hound
Validated User
Actually, no it doesn't. The last sentence (ogres can breed with anything humanoid) specifically contradicts the issue that bugged the sages in the first place (that ogres can't breed with elves or halflings but can with humans).
That's kind of what I meant - I was being ironical. ;)

But now that SuperG mentions it, it does make sense if you look at it sideways and squint.

JRM

Validated User
Thanks for catching the math error in the AC, but the skills were deliberate. The base flumph has 18 skill ranks (Listen 5, Move Silently 4, Search 4, Spot 5), but in v3.5 a 2 HD abberation with a +0 Int mod only gets 10 skill ranks. So I dropped Search, kept Hide and Move Silently equal, and split the rest between Listen and Spot (Listen 3, Move Silently 4, Spot 3).

I thought about changing Weapon Finesse (notice I removed all mention of the "bonus feat"; 2 HD v3.5 creatures get one feat automatically without having to rely on bonus feats), but decided it fit the concept better and, honestly, it doesn't matter in the slightest. The CR is a joke, anyway. The epic pseudonatural template applied to low-CR creatures creates untouchable nuisances, not serious threats. The weaker pseudonatural template in the Manual of the Planes is actually more suitable for real challenges :).
You're right about the skills not adding up, I didn't noticed that. I'd have patched it by giving the flumph a couple of +4 racial bonuses (Listen and Spot?) so the bonuses add up.

Did recognize the flaw with the CR and feat, but saw no need to elaborate on it - this is still a 2nd edition thread, after all.:)

Anyhows, I'll see you all in the next part of this thread, since this one's running dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom