• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] AD&D 2e Monstrous Manual [Part III, Ki~?]

Of the following monsters from the first half of the MM, which do you like best?

• Ankheg

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • Beholder

Votes: 58 28.6%
  • Carrion Crawler

Votes: 22 10.8%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Elf

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Feyr

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Gnoll

Votes: 37 18.2%
  • Hobgolin

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Imp

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Jackalwere

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Kenku

Votes: 18 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

noisms

Booze Hound
Validated User
Just wanted to say, here, that I missed alllll ove rthe old threadstuff and have been just recently reading and jotting ideas like a crazy person. These threads are *gold* and I'm thrilled to finally be in on the ground floor of one. (Just past the Carrion Crawler, currently.) ... Long, LONG pile of reading yet to go, but, you'll have my nutburger self contributing from here on out.
Welcome aboard. I have promised to pdf-ize the whole thing once it's done, so hopefully that'll make things easier to catch up on.

HaplessVictim

Retired User
I voted beholder out of respect. Ain't nothing more old school and deadly than a huge, magical, flying eyeball that eats you.

demiurge1138

Validated User
Many really animals with backward-pointing horns can gore people. It just requires that the animal can get its head down far enough.
Yeah... but can they snap their heads down far enough to gore and then snap them back up to bite within... oh, six seconds? If the kirre got a special charging attack with its horns and had the rest of its natural weapons on a normal attack, it'd be fine, but attacking with both backwards horns and a bite in the same round has it whipping around like it was headbanging.

Inyssius

thermonuclear catsplosion
Validated User
I don't know how psionics work in Dark Sun, but the kirre might need less food than you might expect. If it's capable of sustaining itself mostly via its own psychic powers (like mind flayers), that would make it a pretty excellent animal to hunt--you get more food out of it than you put in.

Ithaeur

Relic Unicorn
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah... but can they snap their heads down far enough to gore and then snap them back up to bite within... oh, six seconds? If the kirre got a special charging attack with its horns and had the rest of its natural weapons on a normal attack, it'd be fine, but attacking with both backwards horns and a bite in the same round has it whipping around like it was headbanging.
2e melee rounds were 1 minute in length (and every attack was assumed to involve several feints, blows and such), so this isn't really a problem.

noisms

Booze Hound
Validated User
I don't know how psionics work in Dark Sun, but the kirre might need less food than you might expect. If it's capable of sustaining itself mostly via its own psychic powers (like mind flayers), that would make it a pretty excellent animal to hunt--you get more food out of it than you put in.
The solution to the world's hunger problems: Kirre.

Actually the only psionic powers they have are of the psychokinetic and telepathic variety. I think the food creation powers are in the psychometabolic school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom