• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Let's Read] AD&D 2e Spelljammer Monstrous Compendium Appendix II

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Alchemy Plant

The alchemy plant looks like... a small tree. It seems to have pretty dense leaves and more than one trunk (like those swamp trees), but apart from that, it's mainly a tree. Its XP value is 25 (the AD&D standard goblin is worth only 15 XP). I you want to find one, check out the 30 cm radius around the plant were nothing grows.
The deal with the alchemy tree is that is transforms inorganic or dead organic objects into a different material, which makes it popular among alchemists and mages. If two objects tough the plant at the same time, one is transformed into the other (there are limits in weight and time). It's kind of like slot machine, but with a reasonable chance to win something. :)

The alchemy plant has a defence mechanism, though: It can sense plants being damaged in proximity and transform into a nearby material - rock, for example. If you try to cut it down and it transforms that very moment, you'll get a steel plant. That should surprise your PCs. Once the threat is gone, the hibern... transformed state ends. The plant has to be alive, though, so turning it into gold and pulling it out doesn't work.

This plant doesn't need light, as it doesn't photosynthesise (but produces air). It still has leaves. Maybe as some kind of camouflage. It's also popular among several races as a provider of air on spelljammer ships.

I like the alchemy plant (I like plants in general), but it's one more no-a-real-monster. So, let's see how the rest of this book (or rather collection of loose sheets) turn out.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
I like the alchemy plant (I like plants in general), but it's one more no-a-real-monster. So, let's see how the rest of this book (or rather collection of loose sheets) turn out.
I like it too, but then alchemy is my second favorite type of magic. Look up some of the stuff Metamorphos does to see one way of using it.

And my copy is loose leaf??

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Well, the copy lying on my desk is definitely a bunch of loose sheets. :) In that paper pseudo-folder thing I don't know the English term for.
Oops, I misread what you wrote. I thought you meant yours was a bound book.

CaliberX

Validated User
Yay, the thread continues. Although yeah, seriously. That's not even trying to be a monster there. Lot's of the 2e era monster books were full of fluff creatures though, there just to create a sense of a real world. Excited to see what's next down the crazy bend. :)

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Allura

The allura is a shapeshifting reptile disguising itself as beautiful females of humanoid races in order to attract males and eat their emotions. While the picture quality is above-average, I'd have preferred a picture of the allura in its true form. AD&D books don't lack sexy females.

The allura has 20% MR, various spells connected to clouding other people's mind. It can also detect life in a 160 metre radius. Once they find a spelljammer ship, they lure it towards them, turn invisible and try to take over the crew. If that's done, the alluras (they usually work in fixed groups) provoke dangerous situations in order to harvest the crew's emotions. After being drained for two weeks, the crew gets weak (CON, STR and INT scores halved) and is left on an asteroid while the alluras drift towards new victims (they can't speljamm). If the crew resists at any point, the alluras will fight conventionally.

The allura is good concept, but it lacks (literally: one quarter of the entry page is blank). While the ecology sections mentions that alluras turn into their true reptilian form if underfed, it doesn't really explain why their transform to begin with. Do they just LIKE to have the form of pretty humanoids? It's not indicated that they try to trick males with that ability and they diet is "omnivorous", so I guess without fresh emotions, they simply live in their reptilian form. Also, their alignment is Chaotic Neutral. Neutral Evil would be more fitting if you ask me.
In my opinion, they should have turned the allura into a mix between vampire, siren and doppelgänger: It drains emotions (maybe CHA?) instead of blood and attracts sailors with a mix between magic and (un)natural beauty. And the kind of emotion they feed on should influence their behaviour and appearance (like they substitute their partial lack of emotions with foreign emotions).
They also need an origin story. How about making them jinxed hurwaets? Man, this monster has potential!

Afterburner

Space Truckin'
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The allura is a shapeshifting reptile disguising itself as beautiful females of humanoid races in order to attract males and eat their emotions.
See, when I see stuff like this, I wonder "How did this race evolve? What did they feed on before they discovered humanoid males? And why humanoid males specifically? Don't humanoid females have emotions? Don't non-humanoid entities have emotions?"

It's just one of those oddly specific things which indicate that the AD&D universe has collectively evolved to fuck with PCs.

Top Bottom