• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] AD&D 2e Spelljammer Monstrous Compendium Appendix

OgreBattle

Retired User
Albari

The ecology section mentions that the albari's flesh tastes ""foul" and his feathers are to oily to be useful for anything (though certain cultures like to fill cushions with them because of their rareness. What?). Well, the bird's cadaver being useful is probably not necessary anyway since the PCs will most likely be happy by having killed a little sucker like this. Oh, and neogi kill albari on sight. I already imagine an adventure were a desperate alliance of neogi and the PCs tries to stop albari swarms from the depths of space from causing a collape of the multiverse through an annoyance overload.
what if a mad wizard fused one with a kender

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
The argos is a gibbering mouther on steroids. And less fun because it has so many eye rays that the DM could wipe out a high level party within a round or two without blinking. "Pretty dangerous"?? It would be an (almost?) epic level monster in 3.X.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
what if a mad wizard fused one with a kender
Don't you dare!

The argos is a gibbering mouther on steroids. And less fun because it has so many eye rays that the DM could wipe out a high level party within a round or two without blinking. "Pretty dangerous"?? It would be an (almost?) epic level monster in 3.X.
Yes, the only thing that turns it down slightly is the fact that it is solitary. But one is probably enough for a TPK.

CaliberX

Validated User
Ancient Mariner

Here's the first undead: the ancient mariner, a partly-transparent undead pirate from an extinct evil race (which basically looks like twisted humans). Or at least it's thought to extinct. Only your DM truly knows!
An extinct evil race just makes me want to ask: why are they extinct? Did they die out through the actions of some still extant race or being? And did the manner of their racial demise have something to do with their (presumably) new found phase-granting abilities? Maybe they weren't "killed" so much as made incorporeal permanently as a species? But what the hell could do something like that?

Argos

Next is Argos, who is a neutral evil spear-wielding flashy mass with many eyes and mouths
Wait, spear wielding? Does it use one of the mouths to hold the spears, or does it have some telekinetic eyes for some force-speary action? And I love the detail that they smell nice. Such a small detail, but room for using it against a group of players in so many hilarious ways.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Wait, spear wielding? Does it use one of the mouths to hold the spears, or does it have some telekinetic eyes for some force-speary action? And I love the detail that they smell nice. Such a small detail, but room for using it against a group of players in so many hilarious ways.
They actually have got hands and arms enabling them to carry not one but up to three weapons. Behold!

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Astereater

Here's one of my favourite Spelljammer monsters: the astereater, It's basically a asteroid with a diameter of about three metres, a large eye and a big mouth full of nasty teeth. It's e member of the beholder family, though other beholders or beholder-kin tend to deny the relation due to the fact that the astereater hasn't got "intelligence or magical abilities its cousins possess" (shouldn't it be "anti-magical abilities?"). So the astereater is the embarassing relative who's never intvented to the family Christmas party. Rather sad. Anyway, the astereaters have their own language, but it seems to be rather simple and consits only of a few words.

The rock-like body of an astereater is very sturdy and grants it immunity to all but very powerful magical attacks. For some reason, it still has got no magic resistance. It may swallow an opponent who then suffers 1d6 damage form stomach acid every round - until he inflicts 12 damag and is spit out. Apart from that (and a ton of hit dice), the astereater is pretty normal. It doesn't collect any treasure, but may have leftovers from former meals in its stomache, as it won't digest gold, glass or similar materials. Nice. Random astereater stomache loot can lead to all kinds of further adventures.

One thing definitely noteworthy: astereaters are "holding great wars of extermination among their own kind". Unfortunately, there is no further explanation. Do they gang up against the other beholders? Do they use other species as mercheneries? It is mentioned that some astereaters command groups of up to ten griffs (we'll come back to the griffs later), but no further details are given, so it's up to the DM. I really like the idea of a showers of asteroids raining down on a planet - and some of the asteroids turn out to be astereaters who'll then do the clean up.
All in all, I like the astereater. It looks cool, isn't just an instakiller and can easily be modified.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Beholders and Beholder-kin

Everything that has to be said about beholders has been said in the recent Sell on me: Beholders thread:

They're like RAAAAWR and then they have eyes that go like PEW PEW PEW!

And really, isn't that what we all want from a monster?
Nevertheless, I'll list what the compendium has to say about them.

Director
A warrior caste. They have small hand-like thingies to ride giant fleas with mantis limbs, centipede-spider mixtures and scorpions. Can any of you imagine a beholder riding on a giant insect-like mount? Because I can't. And those mounts get a ton of exceptions-based rules, including mating behaviour. Why that?

Overseers
High-ranking beholder-kin. They are "fleshy trees" and wear a "furry fungus" instead of cloth. What?

Watcher
Messengers, not very brave and always on the watch.

Lensman
They are "the ultimate lackey caste" starfish beholder-kin without extra eyes.

Examiner
Have four central eyes instead of a central one. Serve as craftsmen and clerks.

All-in-all, the various beholder types aren't too thrilling. They mainly differ in appearance and spell powers (or spell-like eye powers). I like that they create a bit more variety, though, instead of having just normal beholders and hive mothers. I also have quite some trouble imagining half of them!

Mira

follows rivers
Validated User
Another "Let's Read!" thread, cool! :)
Subscribed!

I hope this one won't go the way of the dodo, like the "Dark Sun" and "Planescape" ones did. :/

Never played Spelljammer, but there are parts of the setting that I really like, so this should be interesting.

6inTruder

Oscars are Duche!
Validated User
All-in-all, the various beholder types aren't too thrilling. They mainly differ in appearance and spell powers (or spell-like eye powers). I like that they create a bit more variety, though, instead of having just normal beholders and hive mothers. I also have quite some trouble imagining half of them!
? ;)

chutup

Retired User
^ I actually want to see a cartoon sitcom about these guys. "At Home with the Beholder-Kin". It'd be like the Addams Family in space.

Top Bottom