• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] AD&D 2e Spelljammer Monstrous Compendium Appendix

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Subscribed!

I hope this one won't go the way of the dodo, like the "Dark Sun" and "Planescape" ones did. :/
Thanks. :)
The best way to keep it up is to write comments, of course. ;)

Thanks for the beholder picture was well. Someone should totally turn that into a sitcom.

Last edited:

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Blazozoid

The balzozoid is a giant white comet travelling through space. It's chaotic neutral, self-aware and the offspring of a living, intelligent star. According to... eh... the D&D universe sages, that star send the blazozoids into space to search for another intelligent star. The mother (father?) star considers all other intelligent life forms non-intelligent and has passed that to the blazozoids - whic leads to them not having a bad conscience when they have some PCs for a snack. Okay, let's face it: blazozoids are neutral evil. The unpredictable chaotic neutral alignment with that kind of view towards others beings really implies that.

Anyway, the blazozoid attacks spelljammer space ships for food. Or when it wants to have a ride and doesn't get it. Yes, a ride. Blazozoids travel not only alone but also as hitchhikers. In spaaaaaace!

Blazozoid: Hey guys, can you gimme a ride?
PC: Uh, I don't know, we already have that argos and the tourist group of beholders on board, and there is only so much space on this ship.
Blazozoid: Oh, please, I only need to get over to Realmspace.

The compendium also mentions that to be transported properly, the blazozoid must be stored in a fireproof container. How many spelljammers have a container on board that can hold a living fireball with a diameter of ten metres? I begin to believe that the whole transportation thing is just an excuse of the balzozoid to amuse itself by brining down innocent adventures. "What, you have no super-sized metal box with fire protection spells on it? How rude!".

But I like the blazozoid and its origin story. We don't get to know what alignment the star has, and together with its view of over lifeforms it can work well as a grand mastermind.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Chattur

The chatter looks like a mix between ape and rodent. It also has black fur around its eyes, much like the masks the Beagle Boys from Duck Tales and the Scrooge McDuck comics. They are chaotic good, and their well-drawn picture makes them look cute and kind of charming.
They like to enter spelljammer ships, but usually don’t cause mischief, so they are often tolerated. A chattur aboard is a sign of luck, a chattur leaving a sign of future danger. They are mildly intelligent and fight only in defense of their kin and friends. Their enemies are the wyrbacks, evil demon monkey goblins we’ll discuss later.

Important fact: their language “sounds much like the chirping of excited chipmunks”. Ha, I got you! I’ve finally found the one who’s uploading those high-pitched voice versions of popular songs on Youtube!

There’s not too much to say about the chattur, which doesn’t mean it’s a bad monster. I like them. They’re cute and furry and can add flavor to various scenarios. And isn’t it much more fun to rescue little chattur puppies instead of the usual kidnapped merchant’s son? On the other hand, PCs might as well prove how evil they are by slaughtering those innocent animals.

Collective_Restraint

Validated User
Nice thread, I was about to propose you to add the critter's pic in your posts and found this site !!! Seems to contain a truckload of critters (with their pics) for AD&D 2nd edition. You should use it to add the monster's picture :

Chattur

The chatter looks like a mix between ape and rodent. It also has black fur around its eyes, much like the masks the Beagle Boys from Duck Tales and the Scrooge McDuck comics. They are chaotic good, and their well-drawn picture makes them look cute and kind of charming.
They like to enter spelljammer ships, but usually don’t cause mischief, so they are often tolerated. A chattur aboard is a sign of luck, a chattur leaving a sign of future danger. They are mildly intelligent and fight only in defense of their kin and friends. Their enemies are the wyrbacks, evil demon monkey goblins we’ll discuss later.

Important fact: their language “sounds much like the chirping of excited chipmunks”. Ha, I got you! I’ve finally found the one who’s uploading those high-pitched voice versions of popular songs on Youtube!

There’s not too much to say about the chattur, which doesn’t mean it’s a bad monster. I like them. They’re cute and furry and can add flavor to various scenarios. And isn’t it much more fun to rescue little chattur puppies instead of the usual kidnapped merchant’s son? On the other hand, PCs might as well prove how evil they are by slaughtering those innocent animals.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Clockwork Horror

Ah, one of the iconic Spelljammer monsters. At least I see as an iconic one. Clockwork horrors are enchanted mechanical spiders made of copper, silver, gold, electrum, platinum or adamantite. They are lawful evil and their intelligence, toughness, power and rareness correlates with their material value.
What I like is that the clockwork horrors aren’t just metal golems in spider form, but basically one evil virus-like empire. A bit like the Borg. But they don’t assimilate people, they just kill them. The society section says:

The wisest sages tell us of an ancient humanoid race known only as "the Lost Ones". Records of their origins have long since faded, but frightening tales are still told of their demise.
The Lost Ones were fond of mechanism. The more subtle and clever their devices, the better they liked them. In the end, however, their own love of such toys brought them down. One of their most brilliant artificers built a magnificent adamantite machine with workings so advanced that none but he could fathom its operation. In addition, he wove powerful spells about the contraption, bestowing upon it intelligence and mystical abilities. In gratitude for its creation, the adamantite machine destroyed him.
Did the Lost Ones really have to give the adamantite horror an instakill attack? Any make it, you know, evil? I mean, what were they expecting? Anyway, after that, the adamantite horror created followers and took over the sphere of the Lost Ones. Since that time, the clockwork horrors spread out in the universe and destroy all life (as they see it as a thread) in the spheres they conquer.
Imagine the original horror would have been made of scrap metal. Would it still created other horrors of metals inferior to its own? Would we have zinc, calcium, manganese and aluminium horrors? Aluminium horror… sounds like what a five-year old would turn the kitchen into when left alone for ten minutes.

I like the clockwork horrors. I like a menace deep in space, slowly working on the destruction of all life. And who knows if the adamantite horror is really the ruler of all metal horrors?

Side note: the horrors have no normal treasures, but are more than half a metre long. The minor ones are not two strong and all consist completely of noble metals! That makes the clockwork horror one of the most lucrative monsters to kill.

Last edited:

Ranger7

Lost in space
Validated User
I totally missed the clockwork horrors when playing spelljammer...what a fun race...could steal adventure ideas from the Borg and the Replicators from Stargate too :)

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Did the Lost Ones really have to give the adamantite horror an instakill attack? Any make it, you know, evil? I mean, what were they expecting?

Maybe it upgraded itself?

Imagine the original horror would have been made of scrap metal. Would it still created other horrors of metals inferior to its own? Would we have zinc, calcium, manganese and aluminium horrors? Aluminium horror… sounds like what a five-year old would turn the kitchen into when left alone for ten minutes.
This is part of the reason I have problems with them. There should be an iron horror, a worker that is by far the most common type. When a planet is consumed, there should be billions to quadrillions of them (and that ignores the really big earth worlds) not to mention the millions to billions of other horrors.

Think of a crystal sphere where most of the interior surface is covered with horrors, waiting for something to free them.

Ranger7

Lost in space
Validated User
Think of a crystal sphere where most of the interior surface is covered with horrors, waiting for something to free them.
Eeek, that's just plain nasty...love it :)

I've got to run a spelljammer campaign just so I can use everything on this thread. :)

DarkTouch

Retired User
For some reason I got it into my head way back when that the ancient lost race that created the Clockwork horrors was the same race that became the Ancient Mariners. Kids.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
This is part of the reason I have problems with them. There should be an iron horror, a worker that is by far the most common type. When a planet is consumed, there should be billions to quadrillions of them (and that ignores the really big earth worlds) not to mention the millions to billions of other horrors.
I like to think that the process of creating new horrors (which involves magic) is rather complicated and might need some rare materials, so using 100% of a planets metal to create new horrors isn't possible.

For some reason I got it into my head way back when that the ancient lost race that created the Clockwork horrors was the same race that became the Ancient Mariners. Kids.
How about them being Lost Ones who could barely escape the clockwork horrors, could take almost none of their technology/knowledge with them and slowly "degenarted" into a race of pirates over the generations?

Top Bottom