• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] AD&D 2e Spelljammer Monstrous Compendium Appendix

CaliberX

Validated User
The Horrors definitely remind me of Stargate's replicators (although really, considering the chronology, I guess the replicators remind me of the horrors).

Leonaru said:
How about them being Lost Ones who could barely escape the clockwork horrors, could take almost none of their technology/knowledge with them and slowly "degenarted" into a race of pirates over the generations?
What is the only way to escape the horrors was to turn what little they had left incorporeal to keep the horrors from consuming/transforming it into more of themselves. But once the change was made, they realized they couldn't go back ...

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
What is the only way to escape the horrors was to turn what little they had left incorporeal to keep the horrors from consuming/transforming it into more of themselves. But once the change was made, they realized they couldn't go back ...
That's some cool monster mashup!

BTW, your avatar picture... is that Dune cat?

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Colossus

The Colossi are a race of ugly herbivorous giants (though not related to the standard giant races). And colossal they are: with a size greater than twenty metres, they are bigger than storm giants!
The colossi are chaotic (good, neutral or evil), not very smart and very slow (they get a lot of penalties). They size compensates for that as they can clap their hands to stun enemies and instakill everyone they hit who doesn’t survive a saving throw against death. Evil colossi like to destroy other people’s possession and eat meat to scare them.

Commoner: Please save us from that terrible giant! It will destroy our village!
PC: No problem, I’ve slain have a dozen hill giant in my life. Where is he hiding?
Commoner: We’re standing right next to him. Look up.
PC: Oh…

The colossi are solitary or live in clans, but don’t seem to reproduce (though they have to sexes) or age. One interesting aspect of them is that they can simply swim through space or even be turned into a space ship with a spelljammer helm (a magical helm to control spelljammer space ships). Now that’ll look cool!
The origin of the colossi is unknown, but there is a legend of a colossi homeworld called Arhoad. Sages (where do all those sages come from anyway) think that the colossi – who can’t manufacture the clothes they are wearing – are the servants or slaves of yet another race. Boy, how many lost races are there in space? This is the tenth entry in the MCA and the third race with the “ancient race” origin story!

I think the colossi and their origin story are pretty generic. It saves you the trouble of creating your own supersized giant race, but that’s basically it.

Note: I'll be gone for the next two or three days, so I don't know when the next entriy comes.

chutup

Retired User
It sure seems like there are a lot of monsters with instakill attacks in this book. Is this what all of D&D was like back then?

Thrund

Validated User
It sure seems like there are a lot of monsters with instakill attacks in this book. Is this what all of D&D was like back then?
Well, Spelljammer was particularly gonzo and intended for higher-level characters. But there was definitely an attitude of "instakill attacks are OK, because the players can just come back tomorrow with their new characters and they'll know to use some approach other than direct combat".

Mr. Teapot

Validated User
I like to think of the Clockwork Horrors as similar to the Slylandro probe from Star Control 2: The Ur-quan Masters.

Spoiler for a 20 year old (excellent, free) videogame: The Slylandro wanted to send a self-replicating probe into the galaxy. But they wanted lots of probes. So they bumped up its reproductive priority well beyond the recommended levels. So when it found a new race, instead of initiating friendly contact or analyzing the race's biology, the probe would break the new species into raw materials (and then use those to make a new probe).

A similar, self-replicating clockwork horror could quickly overwhelm a planet and wipe out its parent race. Then it might spread across the galaxy (assuming some spelljamming capability).

Mr. Teapot

Validated User
I like imagining interesting ways of translating monsters into 4e. It's a fun mental exercise to imagine how a monster might be represented in 4e and how that monster might work in play. It's kinda useless to me, though, since our 4e Spelljammer game is dead (and I wasn't the GM anyway).

Nonetheless, here's the Arhoadian Colossus adapted to 4th edition. He's partly an experiment to see if you can mess around instant death in 4e but telegraph that it's coming so the players can do something about it.

Arhoadian Colossus

Level 19 elite brute
Gargantuan (10 by 10 squares) natural humanoid (giant)
XP 4800

Initiative: +8
Senses: Perception +13

HP: 440
Bloodied: 220

AC: 31
Fort: 33
Ref: 27
Will: 33

Resist 15 melee and ranged attacks. Vulnerable 15 close and area attacks.
+2 bonus to saving throws.

Move special (see below)

Mass of Flesh
An arhoadian cannot be pushed, pulled or slid.

Slow-witted:
The Arhoadian Colossus cannot make opportunity attacks.

Standard Actions:

Huge Fist Smash
(basic attack) Close blast 3; At-Will

The Arhoadian giant winds up to strike the squares in the blast. The squares of the blast become a zone that lasts until the start of the colossus's turn. At the start of the giant's next turn, any creatures in the zone die instantly (any observers who see this attack know that people int he zone will be isntantly killed). Also at the start of the arhoadian collossus's turn, any creature adjacent to the zone is subject to a secondary attack: +20 vs. Fort; Hit: 2d10+16 damage and push 2 squares and prone. Miss: Half damage and target can shift 1 square.

Rock throw: Area burst 1 within 20; Recharge 5,6
The arhoadian giant throws a stone. The squares of the burst become a zone that lasts until the start of the colossus's turn. At the start of the giant's next turn, the zone moves 1d6 squares in a random direction. Roll a d8 to determine direction:
1 North
2 Northeast
3 East
4 Southeast
5 South
6 Southwest
7 West
8 Northwest

Any creatures in the zone after this movement suffer a secondary attack: +22 vs AC; Hit: 5d10 damage and immobilized (save ends). Miss: Half damage.

Move actions:

Slow Stumble:
(at-will)

The arhoadian colossus starts to move in a direction. Choose a new location within 6 spaces of the colossus that the colossus could occupy (possibly by squeezing). That area becomes a zone that lasts until start of the collosus's next turn. At the start of the collossus's next turn, it moves to occupy the squares of the zone. Any creatures in the colossus's space after this move are pushed out of the colossus's space. They take 1d6 damage per square pushed and are knocked prone.

Free actions:

Action Point: (encounter, only on its turn)
The arhoadian colossus takes an additional standard action this turn.

Furious Anger (Encounter) Close burst 3
Trigger: The arhoadian colossus becomes bloodied.
+20 vs. Fort; Hit: 2d10+16 damage and push 2 squares and prone. Miss: Half damage and target can shift 1 square.

Str: 30
Con: 27
Dex: 8
Int: 12
Wis: 18
Cha: 15

Alignment: Unaligned
Languages: Giant

CaliberX

Validated User
That's some cool monster mashup!

BTW, your avatar picture... is that Dune cat?
Spice gotta flow, yo. ;)

Edit: So what kind of race would create Colossi, and for what purpose? Bioengineered ships? Maybe a race of really small and smart creatures used them to tool around the galaxy? Why isn't this master/creator race associated with the colossi anymore?

Last edited:

Mr. Teapot

Validated User
So what kind of race would create Colossi, and for what purpose? Bioengineered ships? Maybe a race of really small and smart creatures used them to tool around the galaxy? Why isn't this master/creator race associated with the colossi anymore?
Perhaps the master race is extinct, leaving the colossi are a race created for servitude but without a master to serve.

Or perhaps the colossi were created for a specific purpose, and have achieved that. Were they made to terraform planets (they can move earth and they carry giant pockets of air from planet to planet)?

The colossi as living ships always reminds me of the githyanki living on dead gods in the Astral Plane (Sea, whatever). Perhaps the colossi were the result of a githyanki experiment. You take some flesh from the dead god that you live on, perform some rituals and try to reanimate it/clone it. This gives you a new set of smaller vessels/settlements to use instead of the couple giant dead gods. It also gives a servitor race/construction equipment/war machine to use in battle. (This might also explain why the colossi are so long lived, why they're never sick and why they don't seem to reproduce.)

The colossi "Arhoad" would probably be the name of the dead god that the githyanki live on, from which the colossi are cloned.

I'd guess the experiment was a failure, then. Giant, stupid dudes are probably too difficult to keep under your control. (Or perhaps a doctrinal dispute over having your own slave race when the githyanki hate slavery so much?) The githyanki decided to use other vessels for travel through the planes and so they dumped the experiments into wildspace.

The entry says that "The reigarEcology accept [sic] responsibility for the colossi's plight." What is/are the reigarEcology? Is this some Spelljammer setting thing I've forgotten about or never knew? I can't figure out what that sentence means at all.

DarkTouch

Retired User
Probably a typo. I'm guessing it is a reference to the Riegar. Super artsy humanoids who destroyed their planet with art.

Top Bottom