[Let's Read] Birthright Campaign Setting

Beckett

Golden Wyvern Adept
Validated User
I don't think there's any rule preventing a blooded magician from being a regent, but it's true that he shouldn't be able to do anything with sources (except prevent others from using them).

Being stuck between Avanil and Boeruine would be a challenging situation for PCs, but Tuornen is in the same situation and would be a more interesting domain than Taeghas.

Weird little detail in "Other domains" : while Brosengae is "recommended", the Brosen Royal Guild is "not available for PCs"... even though it belongs to the regent of Brosengae.
Not explicitly spelled out on magicians not being regents, but the text under wizard implies it very heavily. And wizard has rules for bodyguards of the regent, while magician doesn't.

I missed the bit on the Brosen Royal Guild, which is usually the sort of thing I like to comment on. Brosengae alone doesn't give a full picture of the the duchess' holdings. Really, places like that should say, "not recommended, see the full listing at the end of this chapter. Endier's a good example- Endier on its own isn't much, but you have Guilder Kalien's whole Heartlands Outfitters, and that's a realm.

Outremer

Validated User
Not explicitly spelled out on magicians not being regents, but the text under wizard implies it very heavily. And wizard has rules for bodyguards of the regent, while magician doesn't.
I checked in the "Book of Magecraft" and here's what it says :

...blooded magicians are rare individuals. Blooded magicians can be regents, but they cannot access sources or ley lines to use realm magic.
I agree that it's simply not a very good class for a regent. It's however possible that an unblooded PC would choose a career as a magician, and later gain a bloodline and perhaps become a regent. In that case, as a DM, I'd probably allow him to switch to wizard (not necessarily for free or easily, though).

Gallowglacht

Validated User
I agree that it's simply not a very good class for a regent. It's however possible that an unblooded PC would choose a career as a magician, and later gain a bloodline and perhaps become a regent. In that case, as a DM, I'd probably allow him to switch to wizard (not necessarily for free or easily, though).
Why not allow it quickly and easily? I thought the defining difference was the presence of a bloodline (Elven or Regent)...

Outremer

Validated User
Why not allow it quickly and easily? I thought the defining difference was the presence of a bloodline (Elven or Regent)...
Wizards get access to plenty of spells magicians can't use, even without taking realm magic into consideration. Such an important change shouldn't be too simple, in my opinion.

Beckett

Golden Wyvern Adept
Validated User
I checked in the "Book of Magecraft" and here's what it says :

Thanks for the Magecraft input. And that is pretty much what happened with Rogr Aglondier. I'd probably approach it in the same way as dual-classing, ignoring the usual stat restrictions and not dual-classing in the same class group. If a warrior can suddenly decide he'd rather be a wizard, a magician should be able to do the same.

Top Bottom