[Let's Read] Council of Wyrms

GodEmperorDrothan

formerly Xereaux
Validated User
Chapter 1: Creating Characters (continued)

The next section goes into player character races. Metallic and gem dragons are allowed to players, as are half-dragons and elf, dwarf, and gnome kindred, while chromatic dragons are not.
I'm not sure, but I think that this is one of the few changes made from the boxed set to the hardback book. Granted, I have the box and I've only looked through the hardback in the store (why buy it twice?), but one of the things that I remember looking for was if the chromatics were still "banned" from being PCs. As far as I could tell, they removed this restriction from the hardback.

Not that it really matters, the first thing my group did was to disregard the "chromatic dragons are not PCs!" rule. Icicle Illsnow, Ash the Red, and Sinister Scratchleaf scoffed at such restrictions, and we played them just fine, thank you.

I'll definitely be watching this thread. Council of Wyrms was one of those supplements that I knew I had to buy the minute I saw it in the annual TSR catalog, and I wasn't disappointed by what I got.

Tequila Sunrise

Validated User
The table mentions that the introductory adventure for the campaign works best if players roll on the random hatchling tables. I’m not sure why that is exactly. It probably has something to do with the AD&D philosophy that players are dirty little sneaks who are always looking to powergame and get an advantage, so not forcing them to randomly roll for their starting PCs will result in them all playing as gold dragons. Based on the comments here, that thinking isn’t out of line when it comes to at least one group. :p
*whistles innocently*

One of my many idle fantasies as a [somewhat] mature gamer is to rewrite the CoW ruleset using modern game design sensibilities. I know, I know, it'd ruin the nostalgia factor...but it'd be cool to not have legacy stuff like weird XP tables, alignment restrictions, and clearly superior breeds that give gamers like me every reason to pick "the best one."

Blue dragons are my favorite because they fucking breathe lightning. How metal is that? XD
Yeah, the blue lightning is pretty bitchin' too. :)

Also, blue is the only bright dragon hue that really makes sense. (Blends in with the blue sky.)

That was the thinking that lead me to go on a tear and make my own dragon stats for my all-dragon games. Basically I divided them up based on size category when hatched so you had 3 total categories (gold, red, amethyst), (silver, bronze, blue, green, sapphire, emerald) and (brass, copper, black, white, topaz, crystal).
I'm not sure if I follow. You did this as a balancing factor? Like if I choose gold I start as a hatchling, but if I choose copper I get to start in a later age category?

Scarik

You die as you live.
Validated User
I'm not sure if I follow. You did this as a balancing factor? Like if I choose gold I start as a hatchling, but if I choose copper I get to start in a later age category?
No. All of them were pretty close in power level so they could all be the same age category. I had to add in some spell-like abilities to do it and the big guys were still basically better in melee combat.

The 3e version didn't work out quite as easily due to the hit dice thing so I just threw some character levels at the lower level ones and since they couldn't be primary casters due to all the dragon levels it worked out for the few levels we played.

glass

Validated User
*whistles innocently* One of my many idle fantasies as a [somewhat] mature gamer is to rewrite the CoW ruleset using modern game design sensibilities. I know, I know, it'd ruin the nostalgia factor...but it'd be cool to not have legacy stuff like weird XP tables, alignment restrictions, and clearly superior breeds that give gamers like me every reason to pick "the best one."
Isn't that what the 3.5 edition of Draconomicon basically did (or at least tried to do). Someone should to a Lets Read on that!

Also, blue is the only bright dragon hue that really makes sense. (Blends in with the blue sky.)
Someone did a little maths in a previous thread, and they'd still be sillouetted and plenty visible against a clear blue sky unless they gave off actual light themselves. But they'd only have to glow faintly to make all the difference...some sort of lightning aura which they can turn down to a low setting for "sky stealth mode" would be ideal!

glass.

CaliberX

Validated User
The passing of time has always been problematic in games I run (the 0th-level hero to 20th-level demigod in the span of a year scenario) so the whole multiple-year requirements for leveling up completely blew my mind when I read this as a kid. To be honest, I'm still not quite sure what a well run CoW game would look like, although the idea excites me.

And I guess I'm man enough to admit to being another "hey, golds are the best, why play anything else?" I'm a bit more ashamed to mention how many half-dragons I played in non-CoW after buying this set. :eek::D

Also, wow. I knew HP had grown hugely inflated under WotC's reign, but damn.

Tequila Sunrise

Validated User
Isn't that what the 3.5 edition of Draconomicon basically did (or at least tried to do). Someone should to a Lets Read on that!
It is a fun book, but I think the "dragons as PCs" section is basically an afterthought. The hierarchy of breeds is still obvious, so you'd have to use something like Scarik's rule to run a "balanced" campaign.

Someone did a little maths in a previous thread, and they'd still be sillouetted and plenty visible against a clear blue sky unless they gave off actual light themselves. But they'd only have to glow faintly to make all the difference...some sort of lightning aura which they can turn down to a low setting for "sky stealth mode" would be ideal!
Hm, I don't have any reason to disbelieve someone's theoretical math. But at the same time, tigers somehow sneak thru green grass incredibly well with orange and black stripes. Which makes a whole lot less sense than a blue dragon stealthing through the blue sky, so...whatever I guess.

If only we could objectively test the blue dragon camouflage theory...

Tequila Sunrise

Validated User
And I guess I'm man enough to admit to being another "hey, golds are the best, why play anything else?" I'm a bit more ashamed to mention how many half-dragons I played in non-CoW after buying this set. :eek::D
Welcome to our meeting. After you introduce yourself to the group, there's burnt coffee and stale donuts in the back. :)

(Weird, the spell checker didn't pick up "donut." Hurrah for an international corporation's occasional benefit to society! And common usage!)

David J Prokopetz

Social Justice Henchman
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hm, I don't have any reason to disbelieve someone's theoretical math. But at the same time, tigers somehow sneak thru green grass incredibly well with orange and black stripes. Which makes a whole lot less sense than a blue dragon stealthing through the blue sky, so...whatever I guess.
Grass doesn't give off light. The daytime sky is actually luminous - the scattered sunlight causes it to emit light from all directions. It's not very strongly luminous, but it's enough that you'd need to glow a bit to avoid producing a silhouette against the clear sky.

(Camouflage against clouds is much easier, since even thin clouds block a lot of light.)

glass

Validated User
It is a fun book, but I think the "dragons as PCs" section is basically an afterthought. The hierarchy of breeds is still obvious, so you'd have to use something like Scarik's rule to run a "balanced" campaign.
Well, the differences in power were meant to be compensated for by the differing LAs. Obviously, LA is a piss poor method of balancing anything, but that is a general problem with 3.x rather than an issue with Draconomicon specificly.

Grass doesn't typically glow. The colour isn't the issue, it is that if you have a bright sky (like in say a tropical desert) anything in it will look black anyway.

OTOH, planes flying overhead don't always look black so maybe I'm in error. OTOOH, I live a long way north of the nearest tropical desert...

EDIT: Scooped!

glass.

Last edited:

sarellion

Validated User
Probably dragons aren´t so concerned with stealth anyways. The green and black ones seem to like hiding in their native habitat(black swamp, green forest).

Top Bottom