[Let's Read] D&D 3.0 Monster Manual II

CaliberX

Validated User
I always remembered golems whole "go bezerk and kill everything" tendency was a rip-off of Frankenstein, but I believe it was usually described as the elemental powering the golem freaking out. Maybe elementals don't hate fleshbags in general, but ones that are kidnapped and enslaved to run our robots prolly have a pretty dim view of humanoids as a whole.

And hey, lose an arm, get a new weird one strapped on, and suddenly the rest of you is resistant to silver/non-magical weapons? That's a weird side-effect/hell of a deal. Not the greatest for adventurer's, but think of just a soldier with one of these babies. It'd be brutal on the battle field against other normal soldiers.

Kakita Kojiro

IL-series Cylon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I always remembered golems whole "go bezerk and kill everything" tendency was a rip-off of Frankenstein, but I believe it was usually described as the elemental powering the golem freaking out. Maybe elementals don't hate fleshbags in general, but ones that are kidnapped and enslaved to run our robots prolly have a pretty dim view of humanoids as a whole.
In quite a few versions of the Golem of Prague story, the golem ends up going on a berserk rampage for one reason for another. Which is why Rabbi Loew has to destroy it.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
And hey, lose an arm, get a new weird one strapped on, and suddenly the rest of you is resistant to silver/non-magical weapons? That's a weird side-effect/hell of a deal. Not the greatest for adventurer's, but think of just a soldier with one of these babies. It'd be brutal on the battle field against other normal soldiers.
Monster types caused more problems than they solved.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I am also suddenly reminded of the Promethean corruption from Pathfinder Horror adventures. Basically the corruption mechanic gives you a bunch of options which grant you powers, but slowly corrupts you in three stages, when you hit stage three you fully turn and become an NPC. We got the standard ones: Vampire corruption, Werewolf corruption, Deep on Corruption, cursed by fey/hag corruption, etc. The Promethean corruption is that you get a body part replaced with golem parts, and it starts to eat your humanity as you replace more and more stuff (which you have to do if you fail your corruption check, since your body begins to fail) Illustrating this corruption is Valeros, the Iconic Fighter. (Who is basicaly Mad Martigan if.... actually fuck it he's Mad Martigan.)

Here is Val getting his upgrade complements of Damiel, the Iconic alchemist, who is a total racist piece of shit and a smug dawkinsesque Atheist. He's Chaotic Neutral, I think Valeros is either Neutral or Chaotic Good.

Sadly I can't find the picture of him with the corruption online. Maybe someone can help with that?

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
There was A half-golem in Ravenloft for 2nd edition. I think it was in that Monstrous Compendium with the Living Brain and the ice-wight and other individuals, but I might be wrong. I wonder if he was the inspiration...
Yes. Though he isn't quite the same as these, he's a specific person and he's more Phantom of the Opera or Two Face than magic cyborg.

-Naxuul

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Reasons for people to seek out a dangerous golem limb instead of a cleric who can cast Regenerate:

They don't like divine healing.

Actually, that might be it. If you get a golem limb because you love robots and want to go CLANK CLANK CLANK when you stomp around on gravel roads because that's awesome - you're fine! No alignment risk for you. But if you get a golem limb because you hate the gods and the life they brought to the world... well, magic has a way of giving you what you wanted. Note that Positive Energy is (in some editions) the substance of life, and of healing spells. Reorienting your life energy away from that to another elemental plane will increase your proximity to Negative Energy, which is generally bad. It's not that the elements are evil; it's that they're not as alive as you once were, and that's going to have an effect.

Elementals get a bad rap; they're happy to do their thing, but the elementals you meet on the Prime are all basically angry kidnap victims waiting for a chance at revenge. And you want to put one of these inside your body and make it walk around. Yeah.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
You really want to know why replacing limbs with golem limbs?

FOR SCIENCE YOU FOOLS! WONDERFUL MAGICAL WIZARDY SCIENCE.

I had an idea for a dungeon which was essentially this Government lab where they were experimenting with making "Super soldiers", basically turning people into undead, or Lycanthropes, or these things among other things. Because you know some Military is gonna look at half golems and be like "sign me the fuck up."

Yeoman

Validated User
You really want to know why replacing limbs with golem limbs?

FOR SCIENCE YOU FOOLS! WONDERFUL MAGICAL WIZARDY SCIENCE.

I had an idea for a dungeon which was essentially this Government lab where they were experimenting with making "Super soldiers", basically turning people into undead, or Lycanthropes, or these things among other things. Because you know some Military is gonna look at half golems and be like "sign me the fuck up."
There's an issue of Fables you need to read. Nazi's try to use Bigby's blood to make werewolf super soldiers, and it has the head of Frankenstein.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Re: evil elementals.

It could be that the Princes of Elemental Evil are the only suppliers of spirits for golem construction. This is very rarely about corrupting mortals, that's a demon thing. Usually it is about having free agents on the material plane, which happens post vessel destruction. The spirits then go on to create natural disasters that wreak woe upon mortals, forcing them to supplicate the Princes to stop or mitigate the damage.

The Good Princes don't supply spirits as it is a form of slavery.

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Monster of Legend

"Yo dawg, I heard you like horns . . ."

A monster of legend is "a creature chosen by the gods to perform an appointed task." Or possibly chosen by the GM to really mess up some PCs. This template makes the base creature stronger, faster, tougher, and with cool magical powers.

You can make any animal, beast, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid into a Monster of Legend. It becomes an Outsider, although its home plane is the Prime plane (wouldn't that technically make it an Insider?). It gets a bonus to AC and saves, and its natural attacks get better (unless they're already really good; there's a chart). It also gets a sweet +10 to Strength and Con, +6 to Dex, +2 to Int and Wis, and +4 to Charisma. Improved Initiative and Multiattack are added as bonus feats, the latter utterly pointless for Monsters of Legend with only one attack.

Finally, the reason anyone uses this template: the special abilities! A Monster of Legend gets one special attack and two special qualities chosen from the following lists.

Special Attacks (pick 1)
  • Breath Weapon: 15' cone, 3d6 damage of whatever energy type.
  • Frightful Presence: Scare those weaker than you, but only Shaken
  • Poison: Delivered via bite attack; 1d6/1d6 Str damage.
  • Raging Blood: The MoL's blood is infused with energy (acid, fire, etc) Whenever it takes slashing or piercing damage, the MoL's blood "sprays outward in a 5-foot cone, dealing 1d4 points of damage of the selected energy type to all within range."
  • Spells: Cast spells as a cleric with access to the Protection, Strength and War domains, but the MoL does not gain extra domain slots.

Special Qualities (pick 2)
  • DR 10/+1
  • Enhanced Attribute: The save DCs for its special attacks, spells, and SLAs gain +4.
  • Fast Healing 5
  • Greater Damage: Damage from natural attacks increases by 1 step, i.e., 1d6 to 1d8.
  • Haste: Permanent, continuous, broken, 3.0, extra-action-per-round haste.
  • Immunities: Immune to any two of the following: acid, electricity, fear, poison, polymorphing, mind-affecting effects.
  • Reflective Hide: Permanent spell turning effect.
  • Regrow Limbs: If a limb is severed, a replacement grows in one round. Yes, this includes the head.
  • See In Darkness: Includes magical darkness.
  • Spell Resistance equal to 10 + 1/2 HD.
  • Subtype: Cold or fire.

Our sample Monster of Legend is a minotaur who scored himself a cool extra set of horns. He went with a fiery breath weapon, DR 10/+1, and immunity to acid and mind-affecting effects, and has a Strength of 29. Despite his frankly awesome double-horns, his gore does only the base 1d8 damage of any common scrub minotaur, albeit modified by his titanic Strength. He weighs in at CR 6.

This is a cool template. It turns a normal monster into a unique and special encounter, and without a gigantic increase in power. I could think of a hundred different uses for this. I only wish the list of special attacks was longer.

Because I am very silly, I present to you . . .

THE TOAD OF LEGEND!
Spoiler: Show

Size/Type: Diminutive Outsider
Hit Dice: ¼ d8+5 (6 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 5 ft. (1 square)
Armor Class: 24 (+4 size, +4 Dex, +5 natural), touch 18, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
Attack: Bite +4 (1d2)
Full Attack: Bite +4 (1d2)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Spells
Special Qualities: Amphibious, haste, immunities, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +6
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 18, Con 21, Int 3, Wis 16, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +24, Listen +6, Spot +6
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative (B), Multiattack (B)
Environment: Temperate marshes
Organization: Swarm (10-100)
Challenge Rating: 2
  • Haste (Su): A toad of legend is under the effects of a permanent haste spell.
  • Immunities (Ex): A toad of legend is immune to polymorphing and mind-affecting effects
  • Spells: A toad of legend casts spells as a 5th level cleric with access to the domains of Protection, Strength and War.
    Typical Cleric Spells Prepared (5/4/3/2; save DC 13 + spell level)
    0 - create water, detect magic, guidance x2, light; 1st - cause fear, command, obscuring mist, sanctuary; 2nd - hold person, silence, spiritual weapon; 3rd - bestow curse, dispel magic.

Toads of Legend are created by gods of the swamps and marshes to protect certain specific sacred glades. They're only adequate at this because they're still toads, but against commoners they're pretty effective.
Toads of Legend, like mundane toads, get a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks.

Next time: We start stitching things together.

Top Bottom