[Let's Read] D&D 3.0 Monster Manual II

advertise with rpgnet

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
Y'know between this and all the other "Let's Read [D&D monster book X7:Vol V]" I'm losing my appetite for monster variety.

I mean I'm still somewhat down for kitchen-sink cosmopolitanism, but I think I wouldn't care so much if I only fought humans for a long time.

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Y'know between this and all the other "Let's Read [D&D monster book X7:Vol V]" I'm losing my appetite for monster variety.

I mean I'm still somewhat down for kitchen-sink cosmopolitanism, but I think I wouldn't care so much if I only fought humans for a long time.
:cry:

It does sort of showcase the virtues of a limited palette, eh? There are tons of monsters, and some are pretty neat, but they get lost in the background.

thirdkingdom

RPGnet Member
Validated User

I think that's why I've adopted the view of only allowing human PCs.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
There are tons of monsters, and some are pretty neat, but they get lost in the background.
It doesn't help that D&D seems to go out of its way to make nearly every species an acceptable target as if you have time to fight every single one. We've got detect evil, let us need it.

They say sci-fi writers have no sense of scale, but I think "they" forget that fantasy writers are pretty bad at it, too.

ESkemp

Validated User
I feel that. I do like some variety, obviously, but I'd rather have a new monster that I can use five different ways than five different monsters. A critter that can work in the roles of "PC," "border raider culture," "religious builder culture," "anthropophagic cult," and "specialty mercenaries to the Big Evil" feels like it has more of a presence in the world than a critter that can do only one. How many times can you meet an anthropophagic cult-only monster and have it still be interesting? For many groups, the answer is "once."

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
I think that's why I've adopted the view of only allowing human PCs.
I like PC variety. I adore it. When PCs have access to "not human" it comes out in a myriad of interesting ways.

But when you turn that variety into disposable infantry it gets boring. I'd rather have their only ever be one of any monster meant only to be an enemy because then they will always be their own character and not just another.......I don't even have a word for it. I don't care what the henchmen are.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I think of it as kind of being like the Pantone colour wheel. There are tens of thousands of different shades, but the way you actually use it in graphic design is picking a few tones, and then using the tools available to pick out a few others that work with them. In any campaign I've run, I've had five or six monsters that show up regularly, and then a bunch that show up just to match a theme or concept the adventures are exploring.

Capellan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don't know, who comes back as a dog sized maggot that petrifies all corpses in its vicinity?

Look, you got your standard undead who look, relatively human, can be recognized for what they used to be, then once you get past the core book you start getting the weirdos.
Easy enough to say that some Undead are simply creatures (corporeal or otherwise) that are infused with negative energy, and never had a "living" form.

Or you could say "A wizard did it" :)

Ultimatecalibur

Validated User
I feel that. I do like some variety, obviously, but I'd rather have a new monster that I can use five different ways than five different monsters. A critter that can work in the roles of "PC," "border raider culture," "religious builder culture," "anthropophagic cult," and "specialty mercenaries to the Big Evil" feels like it has more of a presence in the world than a critter that can do only one. How many times can you meet an anthropophagic cult-only monster and have it still be interesting? For many groups, the answer is "once."
In a campaign or multi (character) level adventure? In theory up to 3 times. Once as a Boss on its own, after a few levels 2 or 3 as a mid-boss and finally as minions near the end

Top Bottom