[Let's Read] D&D 3.0 Monster Manual II

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's the Juggernaut, bitch!
crap, I already used a Marvel joke in the other thread

A "stony behemoth that serves as a weapon of war," a juggernaut is a big stone construct mounted on rollers. As seen in the art, it rolls people flat like something out of a Warner Brothers cartoon. "Six sturdy stone arms jut from its sides," though none are pictured. Juggernauts are occasionally designed with an interior hiding space that can accommodate two Medium creatures.

They're mindless constructs, so it's on to combat! Juggernauts are CR 11 Huge Constructs, with 18 HD, 99 hp, and an AC of 29. They have DR 20/+2, SR 36, and fast healing 10, plus the usual construct immunities; in addition, they are immune to acid, electricity, and fire. They can see in all directions and are thus impossible to flank, and get +4 on Search and Spot checks. Beware the juggernaut ranger.

A juggernaut attacks with six slams (presumably those sturdy stone arms) for 2d6+10 damage each. They can also squash fools (the name of the power is literally "squash") by rolling over them; this follows the rules for trample attacks (Reflex save or attack of opportunity, not both) and does 10d10+20 damage. Juggernauts have improved grab with their six arms, and if successful then will throw grabbed victims under their rollers in the next round.

Impressive, right? Well, they have a speed of 10'.

Ten. Feet. Per. Round.

Juggernauts also gets some SLAs, though how they can deploy them with an Intelligence of "--" is beyond me. They can cast forcecage, grease, hold monster, magic missile, slow, wall of force and web all at will. That seems excessive for a mindless monster whose modus operandi is "hit people and run them over," but grease does bring me a smile of evil GM glee. They somehow net a Charisma of 16, but their Dex is 3, and their Reflex save bonus is +2.

If you want to build your own extremely slow-moving death machine, I hope you have a spare 70,000 gold lying around, plus about 25 tons of granite. You can advance a juggernaut to 54 HD and Gargantuan size for maximum intimidation factor.

Next time: The other blue/purple ape monster in this book.

Capellan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Six sturdy stone arms jut from its sides," though none are pictured.
There are clearly six arms on it in that picture.

I freely concede that they don't appear to be hinged in a way that would allow them to do much, but they're definitely there.

ETA: SLAs for a mindless creature are a tad odd, and I think some kind of permanent aura of slowness or hold would be better, but at least the SLAs chosen all tie into the theme of "Imma squash YOU!" by limiting the movement of enemies.

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There are clearly six arms on it in that picture.

I freely concede that they don't appear to be hinged in a way that would allow them to do much, but they're definitely there.
So they are; I missed 'em. However, I'll note that they do not in any sense "jut from its sides."

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User

Impressive, right? Well, they have a speed of 10'.

Ten. Feet. Per. Round.

Hang on I got a clip here.

Evil Wizard: TELL ME WHERE FUCKING ELMINSTER IS OR YOU'RE GOING TO DIE. IN FIVE MINUTES.

Also, I think this is the first time someone has been doing two separate WIR's, and covered the same monster in two different editions, from two different books. Congrats Talisman.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
It shouldn't have Slow, rather it should have a super form of Haste for itself 3/day. That ability allows it to move in a straight line up to 500' in a second.

And replace Magic Missile with a force version of Lightning Bolt. These are sort of tanks, give them the big gun.

Doesn't Forcecage actually protect the target from the juggernaut?

The whole thing makes me think of a really bad 80's splatter flick.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
And replace Magic Missile with a force version of Lightning Bolt. These are sort of tanks, give them the big gun.
Alternately, make it point defense against artillery (mages). Quicken it, and give it some special rules about how it effectively works as an attack of opportunity against any wizard who starts casting a spell.

Wizard: No problem, I'll just cast transmute rock to mud!
(starts casting)
Juggernaut: ZAP ZAP ZAP ZAP ZAP*
(you can see the setting sun through several holes, before the wizard slumps to the ground)

* Yes, they get 5 missiles.

Trireme

Validated User
I can tell you for a fact that some 1e-2e DMs would just sort of stack fighter levels on monsters in an ad-hoc fashion, based on occasional notes in modules that said things like "the orc chieftain fights as an 8th level fighter".
Yup, or used Complete Book of Humanoids, Player’s Option: Skills & Powers, Council of Wyrms, Requiem: The Grim Harvest, etc., to make monster PCs with class levels... though you (by which I mean “I”) didn’t really have to do that unless you (I) got a kick out of writing them up according to detailed rules found in some official source or wanted to use some of the creative ideas in those sources to challenge players (orc super-assassins, pious dragons that sling a huge variety of priest spells instead of sticking to their type’s normal spell/spell-like set, and so on).

There was more than one monster entry in the AD&D days that pretty much just said, “These monsters advance as various PC classes and the XP earned by defeating them varies based on the class level of the monster, use that Dungeon Master Guide table and figure the rest out for yourself.” There was little reason not to do the same for other monsters, so we did that a lot... though in later years of Internet discussion I ran into people who felt this was unfair in AD&D, because goblins “go” on the first level of a dungeon and it’s cheating if the DM describes something as a goblin, even when it’s put under magical investigation, but has it fight like a 5th-level fighter. I guess I see their point, but someone forgot to tell a lot of writers and editors of official adventures not to do that.

Top Bottom