• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] Deadlands Back East: the South

Yalenusveler

Validated User
Hm. I don't really have the complete knowledge to be able to argue this effectively, but my impression (which I'm fully prepared to admit is utterly incorrect) is that Rada and Petro are less descriptors of the lwa and more descriptors of rituals. Rada, for example, is essentially a festival season - not an alignment.

Like I said: fully prepared to be corrected.
I'm a practitioner and married to an initiate. Alignment isn't the right word. They're each a nation of Lwa, and there are other nations as well (the Nago, the Gede...). There are some houses that only serve the Rada Lwa.

I think some of the issue is some people talk about how a lwa has a Rada and Petro aspect... but they're actually different spirits.

And... deeply problematic is kinda epidemic in deadlands, which is sad because there is some very fun stuff there but it's got a LOT of cringe too.

rickjthree

Social Justice Sidekick
Validated User
And... deeply problematic is kinda epidemic in deadlands, which is sad because there is some very fun stuff there but it's got a LOT of cringe too.
I'm going to have to remember that whenever folks ask me how I feel about Deadlands.

NobodyImportant

Validated User
I'm a practitioner and married to an initiate. Alignment isn't the right word. They're each a nation of Lwa, and there are other nations as well (the Nago, the Gede...). There are some houses that only serve the Rada Lwa.

I think some of the issue is some people talk about how a lwa has a Rada and Petro aspect... but they're actually different spirits.

If someone was interested in making a productive depiction of voodoo and voodoo-related practices, would you have any recomendations for places to start? Some books or online resources I could check out?

LoneWolf23

Validated User
Concerning the "Divided Liberties" thing in Freedom City, the fix I plan on using in my campaign is that the Spirit of Liberty was grievously wounded in a battle against a supernatural foe, damaging her spiritually as well. So when the Secession happened, it broke her, literally, in two. And the two halves bonded to two different women on opposing sides, who were die-hard believers in their own side's belief in the concept of Liberty.

The end of the war and the final confrontation between Columbia and the Southern Belle was enough for the Spirit of Liberty to recover from her injuries and reunite into a single entity, abandoning her two previous hosts to enter into a kind of healing hibernation which she would exit around World War 1.

But that's just for the Freedom City stuff. I'm going to admit, the whole "Back East: South" thing just smacks to me of Pinnacle Entertainment not wanting to antagonize gamers Down South, who are still touchy about the Civil War thing.

Yalenusveler

Validated User
If someone was interested in making a productive depiction of voodoo and voodoo-related practices, would you have any recomendations for places to start? Some books or online resources I could check out?
Part of the problem is you're dealing with a primarily oral tradition, where a lot of the writing on it comes from very well meaning white people....or some folks who paid far too much for an unfun vacation in Haiti that they thought was a spiritual initiation. Mama Lola is a great place to start, as is Divine Horsemen. Haitian Vodou:An Introduction to Haiti's Indigenous Spiritual Tradition by Mambo Chita Tann is also good (and by my Mambo!), but is more practical than gameable. Especially considering that a lot of the "Spooky" lwa that make for interesting gaming are exactly the ones that you don't get taught about unless you need to know about them.

NobodyImportant

Validated User
Part of the problem is you're dealing with a primarily oral tradition, where a lot of the writing on it comes from very well meaning white people....or some folks who paid far too much for an unfun vacation in Haiti that they thought was a spiritual initiation. Mama Lola is a great place to start, as is Divine Horsemen. Haitian Vodou:An Introduction to Haiti's Indigenous Spiritual Tradition by Mambo Chita Tann is also good (and by my Mambo!), but is more practical than gameable. Especially considering that a lot of the "Spooky" lwa that make for interesting gaming are exactly the ones that you don't get taught about unless you need to know about them.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll be checking those out.

Top Bottom