[Let's Read] Eclipse Phase

Cargo Culture

Liberty St & Security Dr
Validated User
Piece of cake. Just have a nanofabber large enough and the right templates, and you can make anything, including all the tech you'd need to do resleeving. You just need the technical know-how. Forking (the process of duplicating your ego) is an established practice as well, so all in all it's a snap.

Such a concept reminds me of a secular transhuman version of the Quiverfull movement.

Last edited:

jsnead

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
Excellent review, but I have one correction:

Next up: A Time of Eclipse - part 1

As EP is set just ten years after the catastrophic loss of Earth due to the rise of Skynet-like AIs (more to it than that, but it gets the concept across) life in the system is still being built. Of the people who left earth as infugees (information uploaded minds being beamed out into orbital data banks as information refugees), which was most of the surviving population, a massive proportion still only exist in virtual reality as infomorphs (morph being the term of a body and infomorph being the term of information-only bodies).
Only about 20% of the transhuman population are still infomorph refugees (see p. 65). Most people have been resleeved, but there are a lot of people in cheap case (bargain basement robot) morphs.

Black Isis

Validated User
This gave me an idea for a political/social group who feels that the absolutely most important thing is to preserve transhumanity, and that the only real way to do that is to spread as far and wide as possible so that no single even can threaten them all, like the TITANs did.

So, they go through any Pandoran Gate they can, xerox themselves (by creating extra robotic bodies/ships/drones from the raw materials they find there and resleeving them with copied egos of themselves) into as many copies as they can, then those copies go through any other Gates they can find there, xerox themselves, and repeat. Basically, it'd be a swarm of copies branching out through any gates they can find, trying to find more gates to go through. Many, even most, will die, but as long as there are some that exist and have the capacity to xerox themselves, they have a chance of spreading.

On their way, they'd encounter a whole lot of strange things, and their day to day existence would be a struggle to find energy, raw materials, shelter from the elements, fighting/escaping aliens, mapping the way back, and trying to find more Gates. As they go, they'll soon become copies of copies of copies, with the transcription errors inherent from that sort of process, and they'll lose more and more of their connection with Earth and the solar system.

Is this possible to do, in the setting?
I can just see that. You take your first step on an alien world thought to be untouched by human hands...

"Gaaaaaaaary!"

:D

TrvShane

Stumblin' around the net...
Validated User
< SNIP >

Is this possible to do, in the setting?
That's a great idea, and definitely do-able. I'd imagine most of the new copies would be in synthetic morphs not biological ones, simply because force-growing a biomorph can take a year or two.

I'm gonna steal that idea. :)

Shane

Last edited:

TrvShane

Stumblin' around the net...
Validated User
Excellent review, but I have one correction:

Only about 20% of the transhuman population are still infomorph refugees (see p. 65). Most people have been resleeved, but there are a lot of people in cheap case (bargain basement robot) morphs.
Well, to be fair 20% of the entire current population of transhumanity still without a body is a pretty massive proportion from my point of view. I mean, think of everyone you know, then imagine one in five without a body... With the population of the solar system being just under half a billion (p.38) that amounts to not a small number.

Still, I see what you mean and I'll try to be more language precise, or quote the figures.

Regards,

Shane

Top Bottom