• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] Fantasy Craft

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
Contacts

If you want to have an NPC to call on, but don’t want to spend a feat, you can get a Contact. A Contact isn’t going to follow you around all the time: they have a home and lives independent of the PCs and aren’t going to travel too far (remember the Core Ability of the Explorer is partly about being able to call on a Contact anywhere). Thus Contacts aren’t going to be as useful in a globe-trotting campaign, but are great for something local like a city game. There are limits per-scene and per-adventure for how often you can call on Contacts, so even if you have frequent access to them you can’t turn them into a cheap Personal Lieutenant.

You pay based on half the Contact’s XP cost (and you want to front-load, since afterwards it’s 1-to-1). Contacts have a Trust rating that shows how helpful the Contact would be compared to getting an Impress result on someone. You can also raise this rating at a hefty 25 Rep per new level (fortunately you’ll only have to do this 3 times to max out).

Unique among Rep-based items you get some of your spent Rep back if the Contact is killed or otherwise removed. Probably to stop GMs from stuffing them in a fridge.

Holdings

I’m sure someone’s going to wonder why you can’t spend silver to buy a house. Given ships are on the list of example holdings you could cross-reference the Vehicle table for prices, but that still wouldn’t tell you how to price Holding features in silver. And, anyway, FC really doesn’t like letting you get a hold of permanent bonuses like this without making you pay for them.

There’s a pretty big range of sizes, going from “room at an inn; storage room on a ship” for 2 Rep to “palace; private island” for 250. But you’d better have a high Panache or Prudence, because you can’t have a size rating bigger than one of those. But it’s not just about having space: you can get assistants to give you a bonuses with tasks and tradesmen to make money for you while you’re away. But the big draw is Rooms: they can grant you things like replacement weapon, buffing food, increases to Impress or Intimidate threat range, stabling for increased breeding and training, and places to store prisoners and filthy lucre. Oh, and guards can fortifications.

Holdings do not terribly impress me, but then I’ve never been a “base-builder” and instead prefer such places to be plot devices.

Magic Items

Fantasy Craft makes it clear that even if the GM allows “purchasing” and “selling” magic items that these are supposed to be priceless things with names and backgrounds, so you can’t just hoard a bunch of silver to get one. Rep only, and it even puts a limit on how much Rep based on Renown. Of course if you sink feats in you can make your own, even up to one artifact per Supremacy feat (contrary to a line in this section).

Even after all that, magic items in default FC don’t have very many special abilities: only 1 each of Essences and Charms. By the flavor text Essences are innate stuff (possibly based on materials) while Charms are imbued, but mechanically Charms come in levels while Essences are one-shot things. A cool feature is that you can get a cost discount if the item requires hands or is immobile; the books points out the latter makes for good “magic location” rules.

Artifacts change some of these rules: they can have 5 Essences and 5 Charms, plus they level with the character (but you have to spend Rep to do so: it’s not automatic).

In keeping with the FC commitment to being a toolkit, the actual Essences and Charms are generic: the majority of the Charms are simply a bonus to something based on a table. The stand-outs of Charms are the ones that give you spell uses (per scene up to Circle 5, per adventure after that) and storage (and since you can apply this to any object, you could make a greatsword of holding). Essences are a little cooler to me since they often grant new things rather than more numbers (though a few do that as well): you can gain some Level 1 class features, feats, Interests, proficiencies, and even NPC Qualities (NPC-building traits we’ll get to later). This is also where you get the fire for your flaming sword. Between the two types you could run an interesting item-powered mage game.

We end with 8 sample items and 2 artifacts that show off the range of the system.

To be honest FC probably can’t compete with D&D in terms of magic item flavor or power. But that probably makes sense given that this part of the system is intended as an optional overlay: if the items were more powerful FC would warp under their weight and their wouldn’t be any reason for a player to choose the other Rep-based Prizes over them.

Next: Chapter 5: Combat.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
Chapter 5: Combat

"No character is without something to do and everyone contributes to the escalating conflict until the explosive conclusion." The opening scrawl paints a very badass and glorious picture of combat. Not sure it lives up to its own hype, but then again that's a legacy problem.

So there's going to be a bunch here that's standard for anyone who's read the rules for combat from a 3.P game. And then WHAMO, it hits you with a difference you'll probably forget or weren't paying attention to. It's difficult to know what to say about whole sections of this thing simply because there often isn't much different.

We start off with a short section reminding the GM to think out how the flavor text of the combat start translates to mechanics. And then we jump into Initiative, which hasn't changed at all. What is different is the actions: you get 2 half actions per round and they can both be attacks or whatever. You can use 2 halfs to make 1 full, even if it has to carry over to the next round to finish. There are no Attacks of Opportunity, no iterative attacks, and no special charging rules. (There's actually a sidebar box mentioning this right after they tell you how the combat round works.)

Movement's the same, including dividing everything into 5-ft "squares" and the 5-ft Step. Mats aren't strictly necessary -- as they say -- but we all know it's probably not going to be the same without. What makes it slightly better is that AoOs are out. There's still movement control: rather than facing an attack for moving into the wrong square you simply have to stop unless the opponent would have no way of responding (flat-footed or unable to attack). And its only adjacent squares: Reach doesn't help any. I like it because you don't have to stop movement to resolve if someone gets damaged enough to kill them. (Also the "second diagonal square counts as 10 ft" rule is only "encouraged" and seemingly no mandatory.)

FC likes to pare down the number of bonuses that can be added to checks, as exemplified by the listing on p 205 of only 8 (including "unnamed"), compared to.....*checks d20pfsrd*......up to 20 for Pathfinder. Only Unnamed and Dodge stack with themselves.

As mentioned before Defense takes the place of AC and does not include armor.

An odd rule to miss in in Unarmed Damage in The Damage Roll section of p 206: unarmed damage is either 1d3 subdual or 1d4 lethal (proficient). No exceptions for size. Don't know why, maybe because everyone gets it for free.

Injury and Death

I'm calling out this section unlike the previous because this contains rules that are important to pay attention to. The first is that Fantasy Craft is a Vitality/Wound point system. Maybe not exactly like what I linked to, but probably good enough. They specifically call out that Vitality are not Meat Points but Wounds are.

Also this is where we learn about exactly how Standard and Special characters are different: "Standard characters are easy to kill and generally have fewer statistics because they’ll often appear in large numbers for the fun of it, while special characters are important to the plot and represent signi cant danger to the opposition." Also what that means other than "some characters are different": Standard character track all damage as one total, and make a save each time they take some with failure taking them out (not automatically by death); Specials use the regular point system.

Next: Table of Ouch, special damage types, Healing, and maybe Conditions.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
Table of Ouch

Yes, that’s really what it’s called. Technically they’re “critical injuries” going by their in-text header, but the table is really called “Table of Ouch”. I think it’s a Spycraft legacy.

We first start talking about it during the rules for how threats and critical hits work: in FC it depends on spending Action Dice, so there’s a limit to how often a PC can crit. As with the Vitality/Wound rules I linked to earlier this sends the damage straight to Wounds. Alternatively if the damage exceeds their Con score AND you spend 2 AD you can inflict something from the Table of Ouch.

Medium opponents have Wounds equal to Con score (smaller have fewer). You can crit straight to Wounds for 1 AD. It’s no wonder some people house rule the costs to be switched.

Fortunately you can also cause a critical injury with 25+ damage on a single hit (crit or no). Critical Injuries are stuff like broken limbs, head trauma, and bruised ego, all of which have mechanical effects. Unfortunately they take 1-4 moths to heal, so applying them to PCs may only be slightly better than trying to kill them.

Advanced Damage

This is where we learn about the “go to Table of Ouch for 25+ damage”. Also they kept Massive Damage in here, with a DC of at least 25 due to being 1/2 the damage and requiring 50+ to trigger. Fantasy Craft also doesn’t do the think where physical resistance to damage is always Damage Reduction: sometimes it’s resistance the same as resistance to energy damage like cold or fire.

We also find out that you can convert between lethal and subdual for -4 attack and 1/2 damage. This is one of those “hidden” rules, especially because many Species Feats and a few other abilities allow such conversion, but to other damage types.

Then we get the special damage types: acid, bang, cold, divine, electrical, explosive, fire, flash, force, heat, sneak, sonic, stress, subdual. These aren’t just keywords that have no other effect: each has rules exceptions that make it relatively unique (except cold and heat, which do the exact same thing under different names).

Acid applies extra damage the next round and damages armor. Bang damage isn’t hit point damage but is for causing stunning and deafening. Cold and heat convert immediately to subdual. Divine damage baffles you (skill penalty condition). Electrical can sicken. Explosive can sprawl. Fire can light you on fire. Flash damage is for blinding and not wounding. Force hits incorporeal. Sneak Attack is...sneak attack. Sonic is for both damage AND deafening. Stress is mental rather than physical and is about inflicting the shaken condition. Subdual is non-lethal (but can kill eventually) and is about inflicting fatigue.

Bang, cold, divine, electrical, flash, heat, sonic, and stress ignore DR. Which is why the Drake is allowed a fire breath: targets can still count on armor to protect them.

A big deal is made on the fan forums about the potency of stress and subdual because they bypass Vitality/Wounds. This is a little balanced by the fact that shaken and fatigued require being inflicted multiple times, but it’s still a good way to take out beefy opponents. (By contrast bang and flash damage are harder to make work because while stress and subdual saves add the damage since the last failed save bang and flash do not.)

Healing

Natural healing is kind of puny: 1 Vitality per hour, 1 Wound per day, and that’s when resting. A better option is to spend and roll Action Dice and heal that much (though you have to make a special check to do that during combat). Non-magical healing is 2d6 1/day by default, so magical healing’s still more useful unless a character heavily invests in mundane healing.

Next: Conditions and Special Combat Rules. Have to get through the boring before we can get to the cool combat maneuvers.

Last edited:

Falkus

Validated User
That's one of the things I really liked about Fantasy Craft, that there was an actual distinction in the effects of different types of damage, instead of it being purely what sort of damage resistance that blocks it that DnD and Pathfinder do.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
I also missed Divine damage and went back and edited in to the last entry. I'll mention it against when I do Conditions.

Litpho

Wandering stranger
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I’m usually not all too fond of tactical combat on a grid in my roleplaying, but FC’s implementation actually was fun for me to play and run. Even though I found it interesting at first, I’m very glad they didn’t port over Spycraft’s fluid initiative. Too much work for a non-digital game and too little payoff.

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Then we get the special damage types: acid, bang, cold, divine, electrical, explosive, fire, flash, force, heat, sneak, sonic, stress, subdual. These aren’t just keywords that have no other effect: each has rules exceptions that make it relatively unique (except cold and heat, which do the exact same thing under different names).
This is another one of those details in FC I really like. There's a legitimate difference between damage other than what sort of damage resistances monsters have.

A big deal is made on the fan forums about the potency of stress and subdual because they bypass Vitality/Wounds. This is a little balanced by the fact that shaken and fatigued require being inflicted multiple times, but it’s still a good way to take out beefy opponents. (By contrast bang and flash damage are harder to make work because while stress and subdual saves add the damage since the last failed save bang and flash do not.)
How well does a "pacifist" build work in FC, where you just frighten away and worry your opponents rather than injuring them?

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
Conditions

I think we all know what these are. I'm not sure they're simpler than their 3e counterparts, except occasionally for a reduction in how many numbers they influence. Quite a few can be overcome by a DC 20 Resolve check, so that's going to be a must-have skill.

Enraged allows for some interesting tactics, because if all the target's enemies are far enough away they will start attacking allies, and even if they overcome the condition it knocks them unconscious. Nasty.

Some conditions come in numeral grades to avoid needing to have "exhausted" show up before "fatigued". Also you can have up to grade IV (grade V knocks anyone out), meaning you get 2 more applications of a condition than in 3e.

FC covers stealth by turning it into a condition, hidden, and making it much easier to track whether someone is stealthed. And invisible just keeps making you hidden if you move often enough to keep people guessing.

Incorporeal could use some errata because the Crafty Designers have gone on record saying you can't use physical attacks while incoporeal but it's completely ambiguous by the wording in the book (by that I mean the topic isn't even addressed). The designers have said their intent is always to make it so you never needed a special option -- e.g. a "ghost touch" weapon -- to be able to fight an opponent.

If you get someone pinned you can use them as a shield. Rad.

One of the innovations here is a differentiation between prone-type situations: prone is for when you're doing it deliberately and has some positive benefits, while sprawled is just all negative.

Special Combat Rules

Looooooot of boring junk. Only a few things need mentioning.

In Fantasy Craft mount/vehicle and rider count as one character and you use the lower of the two's ratings for Defense, Initiative, and Saving Throws. This means you'd better have a good mount or you're better off on the ground (I learned this the hard way).

You can 1-hand any weapon you can use at a penalty, but you can't dual-wield to give yourself extra attacks.

For poisons and disease I'll just quote the book directly on how the designers feel on the subject: "Game Masters are advised to keep deadly and disabling contagions in the background most of the time, using them primarily as flavor." Given that it's actually very nice of them to actually bother to make so many poisons and diseases and give rules to follow as you use them. I wish more games would adopt this "We don't personally recommend you do things this way, but here's the rules for doing it anyway in case you enjoy that sort of thing."

Size: if you want a full (if terse) overview of what this gives you in FC I wrote up a summary here. But for a slightly annoying angle FC doesn't tell us what the sizes mean in terms of measurements outside max squares they take up (or how many can fit in one square for smaller-than-Medium). They do give examples of things that size. It also has three extra sizes: Nuisance (ring/fly sized), Enormous (between 125 and 250 on a side), and Vast (bigger than Enormous).

FC oddly has an entry for "Terminal Conditions" that easily boils down to "If the GM says it's time, any can spend 1 AD to end someone who can't stop them."

A nice note for Underwater Combat is that if you have 5+ Athletics ranks you don't take penalties anymore. It's nicely epic that a sufficiently-trained adventurer just stops worrying about water combat.

Finally we have hearing and vision rules. Fans of "You can't see the sun in 3e" will love these: there are max ranges for senses. There aren't any modifiers to perception-type skills here: light and noise just adjust how far you can sense.

So that was probably less-than-thrilling. Next time we can finally get into the cool combat options, including the maneuvers you can exchange proficiencies for. Cool things for martials, ahoy!

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
Actions

Combat stuff anyone can do, assuming they have enough of the right kind of actions. There’s probably no point in my covering every one so I’ll focus on those that are different or unique to Fantasy Craft:

Anticipate: Use Sense Motive to gain a Defense bonus equal to Wis bonus vs an opponent. Maybe not the sexiest, but it gives another reason for martial types to invest in the skill and lets you play the Analyzing Warrior.

Bull Rush: Opposed Athletics, and the aim is to push back the target and knock them down or punch them through an object (they gives rules for this!). But you get knocked down on a failure.

Coup de Grace: This is the first instance of Coup de Grace I’ve seen where knocking them unconscious is an option.

Delay: Actually kind of complex compared to 3e: there’s a max you can delay within 1 round, and next round you reset to what you had before you started. Meaning if you time it right you can act twice with a shorter delay in between.

Distract: Uses Bluff (Dex) and drops their Initiative count. I’m sure someone more tactical-minded than me can figure out how to combo that.

Feint: Uses Prestidigitation instead of Bluff. Otherwise it’s like 3e Feint.

Grapple: This is simpler than 3e grapple. At least, I think it is because I doubt you need a flow chart to figure out how it’s going: it’s all opposed Athletics checks and then you choose a benefit. An interesting RAW wrinkle is that every time one of the participants’ turns comes up, regardless if they initiated the grapple, if they win the new opposed check they can take control of the grapple so long as they aren’t pinned. It provides an interesting risk/reward calculation to going in for a grapple beyond just stuff like being flat-footed. You can also do some cool stuff with your Grapple Benefit:
* Steal an item or unbuckle armor
* Use a pinned opponent as a shield (this was covered back in the Conditions section).
* Use a pinned opponent as a club.
* Throw your opponent for damage and to make them sprawled. (And remember by RAW you can do this even if the other guy initiated the grapple! Throw the guy who just grabbed you, anyone?)

Refresh: You have to take this action, then next round you can spend and roll AD to recover.

Taunt: Opposed Sense Motive to force someone to attack you.

Threaten: Intimidate vs Resolve to impose stress damage. You basically can scare someone to “death” in combat.

Tire: Opposed Resolve to inflict subdual damage. Which ignores Reduction and Resistance. And since it’s a half action I like imagining it’s that move where you keep running away from you opponent until they get tired out.

Advanced Actions and Tricks

These are the special maneuvers you spend proficiencies on. The difference between a trick and an advanced action is that the former is something you apply to another type of action you’re already doing, often some kind of attack. For a lot of these the drawback to using them is if you fail you become flat-footed.

Arrow Cutting: You can make a Reflex save after you know you’ve been hit with a bow or hurled attack to negate the damage. Limited uses per combat.
Called Shot: Ignore armor. This is the only reason I can recall right now why it matters if you wear partial, moderate, or full armor.
Cheap Shot: Impose penalties on attributes or Speed with an attack.
Forced Opening: Take an error range increase to cause target to be flanked.
Fully Engaged: Roll damage twice against foes that haven’t attacked you for 1 round.
Daunting Shot: Inflict a morale penalty with the attack.
Mix-Up: Gain a bonus to an action from the last section if you haven’t used it for 3 rounds. Must be taken again for each type of action you want to use it for.
Parry: Just like Arrow Cutting, only for melee and unarmed.
Ragged Wound: Increase error range to impose bleed.
Relentless Attack: If you missed the target lat round you gain a bonus to attack them.
Salt the Wound: Deal extra damage vs bleeding opponents.
Shield Block: Just like Parry, but uses a Fortitude save instead.
Shove: Knock someone around with the attack.
Steady Shot: Bonus to bow and hurled attacks if you don’t move.
Triumphant Swing: Increase error range to restore Vitality on a hit.
Venom Master: Increase error range to make poison work instantly.
Warding Strike: Gain Fort and Ref bonuses for successful hits.
Whirling Strike: A two-weapon fighting trick to set damage equal to Dex bonus, even on misses.

Restricted Actions

These are special attack types you need certain traits for. Gaze, Swallow, Trample, Turn, and Wing Buffet.

Gaze is like you’d think. Only it only works within 1/2 your first visual increment, meaning stuff like the elf’s Keen Eye species trait improves how you can use it. Also they give advice on how to deal with making the user look in mirrors: 4 AD cost if a mirror-like thing is just “around”, but only 1 AD cost if the target is actively holding one.

In FC Swallow causes the swallowee to start suffocating, which I can’t believe other d20s never thought of. Also the swallower is slightly weight down by their meal. Lastly nothing says RAW that you have to cut your way out, just that if you win an opposed check you “exit the character’s gullet”.

Trample is just running over someone to damage them.

Turn is a Will save for every qualifying being with 30 ft and is based on Resolve skill, with Charisma determining how long the effect lasts.

Anyone with Winged Flight can Wing Buffet, but you have to be bigger than the other guys for it to do anything. You’ll either be able to push them away a bit, or that AND knock them down.

And that’s it! We’re done with the Combat chapter! That means next time we get to start on FC’s semi-revolutionary point-based NPC creation chapter, Chapter 6: Foes.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
Chapter 6: Foes

Fantasy Craft: Chapter 6 Intro said:
Gone are arcane processes — this fast and flexible system builds just the right friend or foe, right now! Better yet, Fantasy Craft NPCs and monsters automatically scale to match the players’ Career Levels, making them useful without modification throughout your entire campaign!
Bold words. Having once done a ton of monster stats this is actually the part of the system I have the most experience with (at least, official parts of the system: I probably have more experience dealing with species creation, but the "officialness" of that is second-hand). I can't really tell you how it compares to creating something in 3e or derivatives because up until 2 years ago Pathfinder 1e didn't have one, and I can't recall ever seeing any for 3e. Hopefully someone can come along who can compare them. (I was originally going to say something about "PC-like vs not-PC-like" NPC creation, but on thinking on it I believe 3e D&D is the only edition that actually does PC-like.)

NPC Basics

This short section defines the standard/special divide for us in flavor terms: standard characters are.....well....
Spoiler: Show

And then specials are those "plot significance" guys. It's part of Fantasy Craft's whole "we're doing this by Trope Rules" method that I love so much.

Also we're told "adversary" isn't just a word they were using to mean "person you're fighting" but is, in fact, a rule term. Until this Let's Read I'd never noticed this detail.
Fantasy Craft said:
Outside the specific rules for each NPC’s stats, no special rules are required to use any living being in Fantasy Craft, no matter how civilized it is, what it’s made of, how many legs it’s got, how it sees, or anything else.
I'm quoting that bit because I feel like it's trying to refer to something 3e D&D or some other system did, but I can't for the life of me figure out what annoyance it's referring to. It feels like a weird claim to make, but maybe I'm used to ignoring flavor-derived rules and have just forgotten.

Building an NPC

Lays out the general process, as well as pointing out the pages for each step, a sort of mini-Table of Contents for the actual building part. The steps are: Concept, Statistics (Size, Type, Moblity, Attributes, Traits, Health, Signature Skills), Npc Qualities, Attacks (Natural Attacks, Extraordinary Attacks), Gear, and XP Value. An interesting fact we learn here is that PC-created NPCs charge for their equipment in XP, but since PCs can loot it off adversaries it's not counted in those blocks. Of course this is where we first learn that the XP amount of an adversary is what we earn from defeating them, so you could conceivably do it for both so long as you don't let the PCs double-dip and get both extra XP AND some silver for the equipment.

Step 0: Concept

As with any point-build system it's probably best to know what you want to end up with before you start, seeing as how the system isn't going to determine those limits for you.

Step 1: Statistics

Size
The first thing that probably jumps out at you (seeing as it's the first thing in this section) is that Size has no XP cost. And since these rules are what players use to build their Personal Lieutenants and Animal Partners you can indeed have Godzilla as your pal. This is probably one of those "GM judgement" things, but personally I'd be inclined to charge at least a few XP per size (at least above Large) for player-created versions just in case. For GM-created I don't see a problem. (In case you're wondering Reach does cost XP.)

Type
An entry which has player significance given that in this game you're actually allowed to play something other than "humanoid" or "humanoid that requires different spells". Type in FC is more like how subtype worked in 3e: it can provide immunities and maybe a few automatic special abilities, but has no bearing on level-based statistics.

Types either cost 0 or 5 XP: it's a massive simplification, but given that an NPC will probably never need everything its type gives it at once it's understandable. (Fortunately XP isn't used for species creation.) The types are:
* Animal: Non-sapient and can't have an Int above 6 or a Competence score (we'll get to that later). I so much love how Animals have a larger range of Intelligence than in 3e: it's a stupid thing to care about, I know, but I like that now there are 7 categories (0-6) that animals can fit in for stat-derived flavor smarts. Not necessarily specified but inferred is that they don't have manual dexterity.
* Beast: Just like animals except they can have any Int score. That's the strict reading; I'm sure the intent is that Beasts are the sapient version of Animals. It's actually kind of a funny implication that some Animals might be smarter than some Beasts.
* Construct (5 XP)*: A massive amount of immunities, with the drawback seeming to be that they don't heal Wounds (Vitality, yes, but you have to use magic or Crafting for Wounds). This includes lots of mental stuff, which suggests that default FC constructs are either brainless golems or have weird computer minds. They are immune to sneak attack, but that's not such a big deal in this game.
* Elemental (5 XP): The "undifferentiated matter body" type. Only slightly less bad than the Construct due to being vulnerable to mental stuff.
* Fey: Somewhere between a mortal and an Outsider with some nature theme thrown in. The only advantage to being one of these is natural animals don't like attacking you and you don't age (well, some magic can't affect you, but you also can't use it on others). Otherwise you might as well be Folk.
* Folk: Sooooooooooooooooooo much better than "humanoid".
* Horror (5 XP): Basically Lovecraftian-lite: you can debuff Will saves, animals hate attacking you, and you have some crit and sneak attack resist.
* Ooze (5 XP): Surprisingly they don't get a butt-ton of immunities. In fact the only thing they're immune to is aging. They do get some resistance to combat maneuvers (rushes, grapples, trips) and can hold items internally. But they need custom armor. It's kind of weirdly PC-balanced.
* Outsider: Basically D&D's version, except you gain some Alignment-based damage if you have one. Doesn't age or eat.
* Plant (5 XP): Like 3e, has some immunities that only make sense if you assume most effects are for working on animal life.
* Spirit (5 XP): For making something that can go incorporeal. Despite not aging or having to eat, sleep, or breath it's not automatically undead: the flavor text says it can be an "otherworldly creature". Mostly I assume this type will almost always be applied alongside another one.
* Undead (5 XP): Less immunities than the D&D version or FC's Construct, though still quite a few (in a somewhat eclectic grouping). But not sneak attack. Heals like a Construct (except Medicine rather than Crafting), and is still affected by heal/harm magic like a D&D undead. In FC and undead PC is slightly more balanced than a construct one!

* Footnote:
Spoiler: Show
Here's an alternate take developed first by Mister Andersen and then later slightly altered by me:
Construct (+5 XP): The NPC is inorganic or manufactured. It is immune to poison and disease, and takes only half damage from attribute, sneak attack, stress, and subdual damage (rounded down, minimum 0) and never gains the bleeding condition. It ignores a total number of instances per session of the fatigued and shaken conditions equal to the standard number of starting action dice according to its threat or career level. When determining critical injuries, it uses a d10 instead of a d20. It regains vitality normally but does not naturally heal wounds, though it may be Mended with a successful Crafting check using the Medicine rules (see page 77). It becomes inert when reduced below 0 wounds is considered banished when destroyed (i.e. reduced to at least –25 wounds). A construct doesn’t age and doesn't need to eat, sleep, or breathe.

If used to make a construct Species it costs 6 build points instead of 9.

Okay, yeah, that's good for now. Next: Mobility, Attributes, and FC's innovative scaling traits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom