• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Lets read] Monstrous Compendium Mystara Appendix

randomgamer8466

Validated User
Actaeon is named after a Greek dude who saw Aretmis bathing and was turned into a deer. So while it's a bit of a departure from its mythological origins, it's not one of those 'what were they smoking' moments, like the Owlbear, Hook Horror, Rust Monster, Bulettte, etc.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Actaeon is named after a Greek dude who saw Aretmis bathing and was turned into a deer. So while it's a bit of a departure from its mythological origins, it's not one of those 'what were they smoking' moments, like the Owlbear, Hook Horror, Rust Monster, Bulettte, etc.
Ah. Very interesting.

Still, Mystara is nothing if not the home of "Whisky Tango Foxtrot" critters. Just wait till we get to the sneezing chicken men or the undead that think you to death.

Crinos

Validated User
Ash Crawler

Our first foray into the "Monsters that can be made into armor" category, the Ash Crawler is like a big sooty rat that lives near fire, is immune to normal fire, resistant to magical fire (+2 to saves), and attacks by latching onto an enemy with its bite and then clawing them.

Their habitat just describes how they live in arid areas near sources of flame (such as volcanoes, ruins, and deserts) and protect their flame source, and how they can often be found in families of up to 6.

Course, the real meat and potatoes is the ecology, where they describe how the creature can be used to make either fire proof leather armor or fire resistant clothes (for wizards and other non armor wearing types). Ash crawler hides are delicate (takes a Non weapon proficiency check at half the rank to keep the stuff from falling apart on you) and you need multiple creatures to make a full suit (it takes four Ash crawler hides to make a suit of armor suitable for a halfling), so its not really worth it for AC 8 fire proof armor or clothes.

Personally, I see Ash crawlers as just being scenery monsters; not something the PC fights or interacts with, more like something they see in a cage at a bazaar, or scurrying about in an alien landscape, or resting in the lap of an efreeti lord as a pet. Kinda like the catina aliens from Star Wars; they're basically window dressing. If you must use them in an adventure, they make make an interesting quest for low level adventurers working either pest control or pelt hunting for a wealthy merchant, or maybe they could be used to construct armor for an upcoming fight with a fire wielding monster.

Celisasu

The donuts speak to me!
Didn't that undead that tries to think you to death not even have an actual attack other than it's ability to cause fear? Mystara was full of subpar monsters wasn't it?

And I'd never use the Ash Crawler either. Not even as a background monster.

The Agarat is pretty nice though. I never liked permanent level drain so temporary level draining undead tended to appeal to me.

Crinos

Validated User
Didn't that undead that tries to think you to death not even have an actual attack other than it's ability to cause fear? Mystara was full of subpar monsters wasn't it?

And I'd never use the Ash Crawler either. Not even as a background monster.

The Agarat is pretty nice though. I never liked permanent level drain so temporary level draining undead tended to appeal to me.
Actually I was talking about the Grey Philosopher, who just sits around and thinks, and his thoughts become little demi monsters.

But yeah, the thing you described is coming up too.

Honestly, I never got a chance to Dm or play much growing up, but I do intend to convert some of these critters to true20 and use them for a campaign at some point, or maybe post them online, once I get the bestiary and get a better grasp of the rules.

Celisasu

The donuts speak to me!
Actually I was talking about the Grey Philosopher, who just sits around and thinks, and his thoughts become little demi monsters.

But yeah, the thing you described is coming up too.

Honestly, I never got a chance to Dm or play much growing up, but I do intend to convert some of these critters to true20 and use them for a campaign at some point, or maybe post them online, once I get the bestiary and get a better grasp of the rules.
We mostly played Dark Sun and Ravenloft. This was because I liked Dark Sun so when I GM'd Dark Sun was our campaign and one of my friends loved Ravenloft so when he GM'd that's where our adventures took place. We never played Mystera although a few critters did find themselves transplanted in Ravenloft or Dark Sun as the mood hit us.

I'm very tempted to do another of these threads for Dark Sun. I have Compendium II and I think I have Compendium I for that matter if I could remember where I put the old folder full of papers(yeah, DS Compendium I was a bunch of papers instead of a proper book that you could stick into a binder).

I'd kind of like to convert some of these creatures for D&D 4E.

Crinos

Validated User
We mostly played Dark Sun and Ravenloft. This was because I liked Dark Sun so when I GM'd Dark Sun was our campaign and one of my friends loved Ravenloft so when he GM'd that's where our adventures took place. We never played Mystera although a few critters did find themselves transplanted in Ravenloft or Dark Sun as the mood hit us.

I'm very tempted to do another of these threads for Dark Sun. I have Compendium II and I think I have Compendium I for that matter if I could remember where I put the old folder full of papers(yeah, DS Compendium I was a bunch of papers instead of a proper book that you could stick into a binder).

I'd kind of like to convert some of these creatures for D&D 4E.
If you don't have Dark sun 1, you can get a PDF of it on drivethru for like five bucks.

I just picked up the Al-qadim compendium today, one of the few I didn't own in paper. Really fun stuff.

Celisasu

The donuts speak to me!
I'm pretty sure I have Dark Sun I somewhere. It's just hidden among all the other stuff. I might've stuffed it in the garage on accident. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. We've been clearing the garage out slowly but surely of late.

Crinos

Validated User
Now that I think about it, the Ash Crawler may have been inspired by the Chinese Fire Rat, whose hide could be made into fire resistant clothes IIRC.

Top Bottom