[Lets read] Monstrous Compendium Mystara Appendix

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Baldandar

Now here is a fairly interesting monster (that I once converted to 3.5 and posted on the WOTC board), the illusion casting Baldandar. The Baldandar's main ability is its ability to generate illusions, which affect all senses and last for one turn after its stopped concentrating on them (he can also use them to emulate the effects of veil or advanced illusion). According to the entry Baldandar's usually mask themselves as wizards or dragons, and their attacks are so realistic that an opponent has to roll disbelieve at -4 to avoid taking real damage.

They also possess a sleep poison bite that puts you asleep for 1d4 turns, and can cast a mess load of spells (invisible and fly at will, Polymorph self, Polymorph Other, Magic Jar (!) and confusion).

Society wise the Baldandar are vanishingly rare and likely to go extinct just because they're so anti social that they rarely get along long enough to mate. Mating occurs about once per decade, after which the mother becomes neutral thanks to the hormone flood long enough to teach the baby how to fend for itself before it becomes evil again and kicks it out. Baldandar also often infiltrate bands of evil humanoids like Orcs and Hill Giants, and usually ends up becoming the leader. They also collect magical items and actually USE them (as opposed to most monsters who just leave them lying around).

In the wild, Baldandars use their powers to hunt for animals, and in human settlements they use their powers to gain power and prestige (as well as eating anyone who happens on their evil schemes).

In all, the Baldandar are probably best suited as a low level BBEG, leading a troupe of Orcs or Giants or some such in raids, making a fairly surprising final opponent for PC's expecting a hulking chieftain or shaman as an opponent. They can also be used in a mystery or political intrigue story, perhaps using their powers to cover up an assassination plot or frame a rival for murder. They're definitely one of the more versatile monsters we've seen yet.

Celisasu

The donuts speak to me!
I love how they have it change it's alignment to neutral during childbirth to explain how it gets away with having kids instead of killing them.

Crinos

Validated User
Bargda

Bargda are what I like to call "Monsters with a twist"; otherwise typical members of a monstrous species that have something that makes them unique from their more common brethren. Like how a death kiss is a beholder that drinks blood instead of blasting you with eye beams. The Bargda is basically a super tough minotaur who carries a dexterity draining disease.

The Bargda's disease is fairly nasty, not only does it cause the victim to automatically lose initiative, but it also causes the loss of 1 point of dex per hour, to a minimum of 3. Once cured, the lost points return at a rate of one per day. Bargda are also so ugly that anyone who see's one has to make a save vs. spell or take -2 on attack and damage (that can't be good for self esteem).

Bargda typically live alone or with Trolls, ogres, or Hill Giants as their leaders, they are born with the disease they inflict on others, which means most of them don't survive childhood (4 to 8 babies every 2 years) and they rarely live past 50 or so before the disease weakens them enough that they are killed by avengers or their own subordinates. Also, they have to "marinate" whatever they eat with their disease filled saliva before they eat it, which means they usually lick the corpses of their enemies (again, can't be good for their self esteem).

Like the Baldandar, the Bargda is sort of a mini BBEG, the leader of a small band of more common monsters to give the PC's a nasty little surprise when they come expecting a Shaman or giant as a leader and end up with a diseased minotaur.

Also, I thought that a cure disease spell cast on a Bargda would turn it into a normal minotaur, but I found no mention of it in the entry, guess I was mistaken (or maybe thinking of the sons of Kyssus, who turn into normal zombies when such a spell is cast on them).

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
Well he is, but the fire rat thing originates from China.

I think, maybe it is Japanese. Dammit I can't remember.
I had to look it up... the oldest story in Japan is a folktale about a woman named Kaguya-hime who had each of her suitors quest for a specific item. One was a robe made of the fur of a fire rat, from China. So, both :).

Crinos

Validated User
I had to look it up... the oldest story in Japan is a folktale about a woman named Kaguya-hime who had each of her suitors quest for a specific item. One was a robe made of the fur of a fire rat, from China. So, both :).
Ah. right.

Yeah, this has a few more Japanese inspired baddies (including the Mujina, which I will be talking about way later).

Top Bottom