Let's Read of the Fiend Folio (2003)

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Well, if you're nauseated, you can at least move. You can't if you're dazed. That said, either would work, and I do think that the creature's flame causing some kind of condition is a good plan.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Oops, I was thinking of Dazed from Alternity.

Blinded and possibly Sickened as well would make more sense. Even combined they are weaker than Nauseated.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
I was thinking more of the smoke being blinding, so say to 30 or 50 feet to get the vibe of The Mist*, and sickened within 10 feet as it is an emanation of the negative energy created while the victims burn.

* This also hides the nature of the wicker man and forces the players to guess what might be in the cloud. That loses some of the visceral nature of the creature as the characters can't see people being burned but makes up for it in other ways. Darkness, clouds and fogs are woefully under used IMO.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
You can also allow them to use something low level like wind gust to get a look at it, but a massive, hulking humanoid surrounded by a cloud of cloying smoke is really pretty scary in and of itself.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Gust of Wind for a glance (and whatever Knowledge skill is needed to ID it) and Control Wind to remove the cover entirely.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
That's nice - it lets the spellcasters have something to do other than go through their spell list for things that don't go against spell resistance, and fits the theme.

I think I'm gonna use a wicker man in a future game now.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Until now I have never had much interest in using one. The similar druid constructs in the Monsternomicons for Iron Kingdoms are more my style (menhirs that stand up as wood and stone giants that use various magical attacks).

But now I too want to use a wicker man or a reskinned as a mobile giant's oven meant to catch and cook little people.

Top Bottom