• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Let's Read of the Fiend Folio (2003)

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
The problem is, it's a puzzle monster that can be taken out by a full round of attacks by a melee class character with a greatclub, with plenty of time to figure it out since its attacks barely tickle.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Without much preamble, it’s the

Prestige Classes

There really isn’t much middle ground here - prestige classes were either a beloved part of the 3.x system, or they were an example of its genuine terribleness. These are definitely better ammunition for the latter group.

There are three of these - the fiend of blasphemy, the fiend of corruption and the fiend of possession.

Fiend of Blasphemy

Unsurprisingly, given the image, this is a prestige class for that very special fiend who doesn’t think life is about taking over the world, it’s about the friends and cultists you make along the way. This entry repeats a confusing pattern in the other two - the description says that “only fiends” can take this class, but the requirements don’t make any mention of that. You have to be an outsider with the evil subtype, have a base Will save of +7, 10 ranks in Bluff and Knowledge (religion), the Leadership feat and a spell-like ability that’s of a 4th level of higher spell.

All of the saves are good saves, the hit dice is a d8, and you get some pretty nifty abilities built around generating your own cult, including a handful of useful spells. At low levels, it’s about giving power to people who make blood oaths to you, being able to keep track of your cultists, and as you ascend in level, you gain more direct control of your followers, including the ability to kill them outright if they annoy you enough. It’s definitely on-theme for a variety of fiends.

Fiend of Corruption

So the alkilith - remember that one? The giant, demonic pool of acid that lived in the grossest parts of the Abyss and work as assassins? Give it one level in sorcerer so it can get charm person and it can be a fiend of corruption, driving mortals to indulge in their darkest desires, which in this case presumably involve dissolving bodies in lye or something. Anyhow, other than the specific change in the spell requirement and a slightly different set of skills, that’s all that’s necessary to qualify as a fiend of corruption.

This is a d6 hit die class without the spells of the fiend of blasphemy and a set of special abilities based around getting individual mortals to give you control over their soul. Both are six-level classes, but one ends with you having one single broken, fallen follower, while the other ends with you starting your own religion. Yeah.

Fiend of Possession

This is an easier class for your fiend to access, requiring only a Will save of +5 and 6 ranks of Hide and Knowledge (arcana).

It’s a d6 class that’s basically about being a dybbuk. That’s really about it. You possess objects, do weird things with them and eventually get to the point where you can possess clouds of dust and even living creatures. Exactly why you’d want to do this, as a fiend, is left mostly unexplored, although I’ll admit that it does fill a mythological niche as a lot of fiends in a lot of cultures work exactly this way.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
More or less how I play goblins. They're driven by a strong urge to accumulate resources, and so often tend toward some bad behavior, but there are goblin cultures that are as "civilized" as the highest human culture.
That kind of reminds me of the GURPS Goblin setting, which is a Victorian London setting where instead of humans there are Goblins (Who are like Jim Henson Labyrinth Goblins), when Goblins are born they are little white vague humanoids called proles, but as they age their bodies twist and grow and changed based on what they need to do to survive or what cruelties are inflicted on them (Since IIRC Goblins in this setting don't really hold much regard for their offspring, or anyone besides themselves really) until they get old enough and their shape sets. So no two Goblins are alike.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
That kind of reminds me of the GURPS Goblin setting, which is a Victorian London setting where instead of humans there are Goblins (Who are like Jim Henson Labyrinth Goblins), when Goblins are born they are little white vague humanoids called proles, but as they age their bodies twist and grow and changed based on what they need to do to survive or what cruelties are inflicted on them (Since IIRC Goblins in this setting don't really hold much regard for their offspring, or anyone besides themselves really) until they get old enough and their shape sets. So no two Goblins are alike.
I read that after I came up with my notion of how goblins work, but it definitely informed my future choices, in-setting.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
I like the possession PrC but not for just fiends. It should be allowed for all the monster types, though oozes, plants and vermin should be awakened first. Anyone or thing could be possessed by anyone or thing. Or just turn the class into a new subtype. Some ideas for either:

- Fire giants can possess the metal objects they personally created. This allows them to experience battle from the weapon's or armor's perspective.
- Red dragons have this at birth but lose it as adults. Parents use their offspring to possess objects in their hoard to better track and deal with thieves.
- Aboleth prefer to possess skum but can with any animal or humanoid. This allows them to explore the surface world without drying out or being really apparent to anything with eyes. This may also apply to beholders.
- Twig blights can possess objects and use this power to get into the heart of civilization, cause chaos and still be hard to find.
- Lizardfolk can possess dinosaurs and giant birds of prey. They use this to scout rather than hunt.
- Homunculi can possess animals and pass themselves off as familiars.
- Hobgoblins can possess siege weapons, giving them better accuracy and faster reload times.

I can't think of any decent idea for awakened golems. Having a stone golem possess a boulder is boring and why would it bother with a little squishy like a human?

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
How about the ability to possess golems?

Playing a "ghost in the shell", if you will...
There are two templates for this. Possessed Construct is in Atlas' Fantasy Bestiary. Lifespark Construct in Advanced Bestiary is actually for Awakened constructs but could easily be used for possessed ones as well. And a third is found in Rite's second template book but that only applies to proteans (and the example is a protean possessed iron golem).

Top Bottom