Let's Read of the Fiend Folio (2003)

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
If I was DM to such a character, I'd definitely be looking for an excuse to make that a thing. Just like I always try to start taking hands as soon as the Cleric gets Regeneration. A character facet that goes un-used is boring! :D
So your PC's can expect to get hand swarms attacking them?

That sounds very similar to a movie called Guyver (I think?), it was about bio-armor suits made by some Evil Corp that would bonds with their user. The hero got one that was free somehow and was also the strongest, so he had to use it and bring the bad guys down. Great movie from when I was a teen, wonder how it'd stand up if I tracked it down ...
The first one was OK, I liked the second one better. My inner geek started correcting you once I read this. Basically, there are aliens, their tech is the guyver suits.(A bio-mech suit that is stored in a pocket dimension when not worn).
The company was run by the conspiracy Chronos, a group made up of zaonoids(humans with a monsterish battleform). They were also made up by aliens.
The aliens went away for a long while. And the story in both anime/manga/movies starts without them being around.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
I reread Last Stand last night and just did some searching. Turns out the company, Funhaver (umlaut over the u) botched a kickstarter and then vanished. Bugger.

Today I would use a highly modified version of Godbound where the gifts are in the suits rather than the characters. And I would keep the idea of ripping (taking a monster's power after slaying it, but only for the scene), slotting (handing the carcass over the to company so they can make the power permanent), and not dying (no one dies unless the whole team goes down, the suits are just that good in keeping the body going).

Yep. The issue is that, with the list prices, you kill one beholder and you have 300 000 gp worth of "parts." It would need some rebalancing.
That isn't how it works (at least in this book). The price isn't in the parts, it is in the creation of the grafts. Replicating a beholder stalk power doesn't need a stalk on hand, just the idea and some materials to turn into an emulation of it.

Sort of like how a drolem isn't made of dragon parts. It is made of undescribed things to emulate a dragon.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Well, the assumption of the setting Cri was proposing seemed to be that you WERE harvesting parts to be used in grafts, hence my criticism.

I think you could still do that, but the beholder eye stalk would be just a small part of the graft, netting the finder ten thousand gold or so.

NobodyImportant

Validated User
It’s not just slaying the beholder that nets you 300,000. Like, you can’t just hawk that kind of thing on the street. Getting to that planar marketplace or drow citadel where you can actually offload your two mouldering tons of aberration before it rots is probably an adventure worth 300,000 in and of itself.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
"Beholders! Beholders for sale! Get your fresh, hot beholders! Take one home to the children! Beholders!"
Try that in Waterdeep, you'll wake up at the bottom of a pond in cement overshoes.

That's a nice idea too, though, making the sale dangerous and difficult as well. The simplest solution, honestly, is making it an act of great skill to harvest something sufficient for grafting.

Eklev

Validated User
I think additional grafting materials and catalysts are part of the cost, just like with scribing spells to spellbooks or with magic item creation.

lissilambe

RPGnet Member
Validated User
It’s not just slaying the beholder that nets you 300,000. Like, you can’t just hawk that kind of thing on the street. Getting to that planar marketplace or drow citadel where you can actually offload your two mouldering tons of aberration before it rots is probably an adventure worth 300,000 in and of itself.
Many, many years ago, when I was but a young adventurer, we battled a beholder in our campaign and slew it. It was a fantastic battle, tense and fun. So following session comes along, our savviest player is missing the game for whatever reasons. Two of the group head out and sell the beholder body. To someone who buys the whole body. Yay us! Group had a ton of capital from the sale, whoo-hoo!

Except, the next session, said absent player is back and we tell him what happened.

"You sold the beholder?"
"Yup!"
"The whole beholder?"
"Yup!"
"In one piece?"
"Yup?"

Yeah, poor savviest player later has his wizard disintegrated by the now-undead beholder the necromancer had purchased from us. :D

Take care
Don

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
One last image to leave you with. This is in the gallery online, but not in the book. It's pretty badass, honestly. The fallen hound archon shows up in a couple of modules, and I believe an issue of Dragon as well.

Top Bottom