• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Let's Read of the Fiend Folio (2003)

Eklev

Validated User
Pretty sure this book has the weirdest monsters published for 3.x. I’ve used a few because they had a neat theme or were otherwise appropriate flavor-wise, but the mechanics are so lacking.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Pretty sure this book has the weirdest monsters published for 3.x. I’ve used a few because they had a neat theme or were otherwise appropriate flavor-wise, but the mechanics are so lacking.
Yeah, I'll get into that when appropriate. The next monster in the book is, thematically, incredibly strong, but the mechanics are a massive letdown.

Gogmagog

Validated User
Will we get some post-it-note drawings?

I loved original Fiend Folio with such critters as..

Skull headed trapdoorspider humanoid
Adherer. Looks like a mummy but will steal your weapons
Carbuncle. Armadillo with a gem in it's head.

Evil Walrus

Validated User
Yeah... the 3.x Fiend Folio really did have some weird and dopey monsters in it. In fact, if I remember correctly isn't this the one with the giant penis worm?

Airos

Actual tiger
Validated User
Can I ask a couple of questions about the cover?

First, what happened to the fantastic concept of describing what's depicted on the cover, (such as for the 1st Ed. DMG's 'City of Brass')? I know 3.x had a habit of making abstract "magic book" covers without actual scenes or anything, but for all I know I'm either looking at Actual Hell, some generic abyssal plane, or Mount Doom.

Second, why are there three pierced nipples? Was there a focus group that decided three was the most marketable number of pierced nipples on an RPG rulebook? How many meetings between layout and art direction discussed their optimal placement on the cover? Did anyone, at any point, need to justify them as male nipples to avoid being censored?

It's such a bizarre choice, like there was a bit of that "mature audience" edge leftover from The Book of Vile Darkness, so it got slapped on this book as well. "Gotta make sure they know the book's made of skin, so make it real obvious".

*looks ahead at the next monster*

Oh hey, this was an antagonist in an episode of MLP:FiM, sweet.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
You know... I own a PDF of that book, I've seen the cover several times, I don't think I've ever noticed the nipples before now.

WHY DID WOTC PUT NIPPLES ON THE BOOK? WHY?

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Yeah... the 3.x Fiend Folio really did have some weird and dopey monsters in it. In fact, if I remember correctly isn't this the one with the giant penis worm?
It's a Fiend Folio. It's supposed to have the stuff that makes cocaine wizards go gold turkey.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
This one is okay. Useful to populate other planes with minor "natural" creatures.

Abyssal Ghoul
A ghoul, but more annoying. Not sure why these guys need to be so smart, but then again, as pointed out, that's true for too many D&D creatures.

NobodyImportant

Validated User
I find it amusing that all this book’s done so far is slap a ‘fiendish’ template on an ostrich and a ghoul. Have some pride in your work!

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
When I first read the book, I was surprised it wasn't based on the diakk (1e MM II). It was only later that I go the Planescape MCs and still I wonder what makes the abrian more useful than diakks.

Top Bottom