• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Let's Read of the Fiend Folio (2003)

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I just pronounce it Ay oh.
I pronounce it, "Why the hell am I using this monster," but yours is good.

And a great call on the need for Mesoamerican beasties. In a world where I'm independently wealthy, I'd love to put together a series of books on various world mythologies, designed for use in games, just for this reason.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I pronounce it, "Why the hell am I using this monster," but yours is good.

And a great call on the need for Mesoamerican beasties. In a world where I'm independently wealthy, I'd love to put together a series of books on various world mythologies, designed for use in games, just for this reason.
Well now that stuff like the DM"S guild and OGL stuff is a thing, I don't think you need to be a billionaire to self publish stuff. As long as you don't care about including art and stuff (And since these monsters are based on myth you can just use pictures from Ancient Aztec art like you did when you were talking about the Ahzuhitol.)

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Well now that stuff like the DM"S guild and OGL stuff is a thing, I don't think you need to be a billionaire to self publish stuff. As long as you don't care about including art and stuff (And since these monsters are based on myth you can just use pictures from Ancient Aztec art like you did when you were talking about the Ahzuhitol.)
It's more having the time to actually do the work to do it right. At my gaming table, my players are very understanding that I'm improvising about 40% of the monsters I'm running and just run with it, but I'd like to do a lot of primary source research on this stuff. Like how can you incorporate the old Greek kobalos (a spritely house spirit) with the Germanic kobold (a spirit of mines and the dark) together? Does one come from the other, and what would that look like? What if what D&D calls kobolds are actually creatures that were kicked out of the fairy realms for going against one of the laws of Fairy? In other words, how can we take actual mythology and us it to inform how we run D&D monsters?

Shroomy

Validated User
The Ahuizotl appears in Kobold Press's Creature Codex for 5e. It even has the spiky coat.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
The Ahuizotl appears in Kobold Press's Creature Codex for 5e. It even has the spiky coat.
Kobold Press does good work - what's their write-up like? I imagine that with the rules for 5th edition you could do some really nifty things statting up an ahuizotl lair.

Shroomy

Validated User
Kobold Press does good work - what's their write-up like? I imagine that with the rules for 5th edition you could do some really nifty things statting up an ahuizotl lair.
It doesn't have any lair actions or anything, but it's an amphibious CR 2 monstrosity with a spiky coat that damages anyone who gets too close and a tail grab that can either grapple a target or steal small objects.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Nice. It's the displacer beast, but also nothing like the displacer beast. That said, what does blinding do again in 3e? You can't see, obviously, but how crippling is it? A look at the d20 SRD show it's a bunch of modifiers, and total concealment for everyone else. Also, Blindness/Deafness is fairly low-level; can you revert that spell?

Lame. If my DM used this, it would probably feel like a trap designed to take our cool stuff away. We could have had a grumpy camel mixed with the anteater from Pink Panther instead.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Total concealment means you have a flat 50% chance of missing the target. Basically, if you're blind, you aint hitting shit unless you got other ways to see.

And yeah, Remove blindness/deafness is the same level as cause. I think all the cause and bestow spells are the same level as one another (Remove and bestow curse, cause and remove fear, flesh to stone and stone to flesh, etc.)

Top Bottom