• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Let's Read of the Fiend Folio (2003)

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I don't think remove blindness would work - it's eating your eyes and specifies that you're "permanently blinded." The spell specifies that it can't restore missing organs. The attack doesn't say how you can reverse the damage, though, and I'd probably allow that remove blindness would work if it, say, came up in a module or something because, again, the attack isn't well-written.

Monsieur Meuble

Furniture warlord
Validated User
You throw in an ahuizotl with blinding strike enabled when the fighter of the group took the Blind-Fight feat and you want to reassure him that it's not a bad choice and it will be very useful and not just for fighting a medusa once in a while.

As for the aoa, eh, too bad, the illustration was really selling an Evangelion's angel-like alien thing. But if it's just an alternative for when your group made you swear to stop using rust monsters and ethereal filchers to ruin their loot...

Last edited:

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
You throw in an ahuizotl with blinding strike enabled when the fighter of the group took the Blind-Fight feat and you want to reassure him that it's not a bad choice and it will be very useful and not just for fighting a medusa once in a while.

As for the aoa, eh, too bad, the illustration was really selling an Evangelion's angel-like alien thing. But if it's just an alternative for when your group made you swear to stop using rust monsters and ethereal filchers to ruin their loot...
The low level version of the aoa doesn't actually destroy magic items, it just casts a dispel magic, so it's more just annoying. I can see using it as a guardian creature in combination with a construct or two. That's a nasty synergy.

Eklev

Validated User
Blind Fight is a great feat for a melee PC. Do you know how many enemies use concealment of any kind? Quite a few.

I’d pronounce Aoa as ”ah-OH-ah”. It looks cool, even if spell turning is such a limited defense. It doesn’t work against rays, melee touch, or area spells. Great.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
I’d pronounce Aoa as ”ah-OH-ah”. It looks cool, even if spell turning is such a limited defense. It doesn’t work against rays, melee touch, or area spells. Great.
It isn't actually written up as the "spell turning" ability, which makes me think they hadn't actually created it as a monster ability yet. It also works against gaze attacks.

I do think that the ability simultaneously too powerful and too weak - for the droplet version of the monster, it's kind of brutal as it limits your magic options, while for the sphere version, any arcane caster worth their salt is going to be able to bypass their SR easily.

Grumpygoat

Give a damn
Validated User
Yeah, it's a floating reflective water droplet formed in the places where the Negative Energy Plane meets the Positive, and they're basically low-power disenchanters. Which is disappointing, because their fluff makes them sounds like these really cool, almost animalistic drops of quicksilver that dash around the multiverse absorbing magic and growing stronger off of it. Instead, they have a dispel magic special attack, can reflect spells back at casters and are highly resistant to elemental damage. They also have no actual abilities based their purported ability to eat magic, which is just weird.
Casting dispel magic represents them eating magic. Why invent a whole new mechanic when a perfectly cromulent version already exists in the game?

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Casting dispel magic represents them eating magic. Why invent a whole new mechanic when a perfectly cromulent version already exists in the game?
I remain unconvinced that the 3.x version of dispel magic is either "perfect" or "cromulent." I would settle on "functional."

Eklev

Validated User
It isn't actually written up as the "spell turning" ability, which makes me think they hadn't actually created it as a monster ability yet. It also works against gaze attacks.
The wording of the aoa's ability is very similar to spell turning's wording, and the key is "targeted". That means that only spells with a "target" entry are applicable to being reflected. Rays and melee touch spells (and of course area spells like fireball) are not targeted as in understood by the rule "targeted". In order to target a creature with a "targeted" spell, you need to see (or the equivalent) them, but you can try shooting a ray or touching a creature with a melee touch spell even if you're blinded or the creature is invisible.

So, while it does work against gaze attacks, players hardly ever use them, which makes it a minor quirk. The aoa's version of spell turning is (as written) pretty meh, even though flavor-wise it'd make sense that it reflected rays and melee touch spells too (not sure about area spells though).

Top Bottom