• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Lets Read] Out of the Pit

glass

Validated User
Following the current fashion for 'lets read' threads of monster books, I am going to read through 'Out of the Pit', one monster at a time. For those who don't know, 'Out of the Pit' is the monster book for Fighting Fantasy, which was originally a a series of choose-your-own-adventure type books, but had a proper (albeit very simple) RPG spun of from it.

'Out of the Pit' was written by Ian Livingston and Steve Jackson. For the easily confused (which included me for a while), that is the English Steve Jackson, who is not the same person as the American Steve Jackson who wrote GURPS. Although just to maximise the confusion, both Steve Jacksons wrote FF books, apparently.

If you want to read along at home, and you don't have a copy, I got my copy along with Titan (the world book) for £8 the pair.

Anyway, here we go...

EDIT: So, bring on the really clever 'I could build a campaign around that' ideas!

glass.

Apologies to the guy who mentioned it in one of the the MM threads, who I stole the idea from, but I figured if you were actually going to do it you would have by now. I would have PMed you to check but search turned up nothing and I wasn't reading over a thousand posts just to find your ID!

Last edited:

glass

Validated User
Aakor

Aakor

The first monster is the book is an 'Aakor', which is basically a slightly small wolf with feathery wings. Aparently they were "once ordinary wolves, before they gained their wings". Sorcerous experiments are to blame for the wings, and their taste for warm blood. Those who keep reading will find that this crops up a few more times in the book.

That is about all you can say about them, apart for the fact that the are apparently of 'average' intelligence. I can only assume that FF sets its averages lower than most games!

glass.

Khuxan

Retired User
Re: [Lets Read]Out of the Pit

I know most FF monsters had only two (three?) stats. Do any of the creatures in this book have special abilities?

Asen_G

#3 Anti-Illusionism Squad
Validated User

The same experiments gave them average human intelligence. And that is their greatest power, far outweighing the danger wings pose-and this is also their greatest weakness, for everything capable of abstract thinking is subject to falacies. Their first mistake was to think they are "not just wolves", while still considering the humans an ape species, which is to be culled when they grow in number. Otherwise, humans tend to cause lots of damage to the land, and their cities are dark, unnatural places where smoke rises high to obscure the sky. Some of them develop a moral code of their own, although it is seldom pacifistic, considering their violent urges. Those that develop different moral codes, prohibiting the unnecessary killing of sentient beings, often become tragic figures, lost in despair between two worlds at war. Most sentient beings in these worlds consider them either weirdos, traitors to their race, the enemy, or just fair game. No wonder they tend to form secretive cliques of their own-and the general populace speaks of unimaginable rituals performed at their gatherings in secret places. Worse is, this might be true. The worst part, however, is you never know whether the new wolf in the forest is not part of these weirdos cults. Is the local weird kid prone to joining them? And maybe there are even those in other lands that had committed the final sin, striking peace with the human vermin-worse than the weirdos.

Basically, you've got W:tF-Pure and maybe the Forsaken, werewolves that can fly, but have no human form, unless the GM tweaks them even more. Also, they view humans the way humans in LotR view orcs:D. And a fair number of them behave rather like gothic-style vampires, towards their own species, acting more like Nosferatus or ordinary werewolves around humans. It's a society at war with another race and maybe itself-although they probably call this war hunting.
Yup, I can form a dark fantasy campaign around it;).
A.

philippe tromeur

Rogue Nacaal
Validated User

I know most FF monsters had only two (three?) stats. Do any of the creatures in this book have special abilities?
Like in the FF books, many creatures have some spécial attacks.

There's also a new stat, introduced in the Fighting Fantasy RPG, called "Attacks", which is the number of adventurers the monster can attack in a single round (against other opponents, it only defends).
Their habitat, number encountered, typical reaction (hostile, unfriendly, etc.) and level of intelligence (low, average, etc.) are also briefly described.

Pete Whalley

Has Destrucity!
Validated User

I love me some FF> I'm currently stealing heavily from the line to populate my D&D 4e setting.

Now, on with the monsters...

glass

Validated User

Yep, apart from number appearing most of the monsters only have two numerical stats; Skill and Stamina. Some of them also say X attacks on their skill line, as Phillipe points out.

glass.

glass

Validated User
Giant Aardwolf

Giant Aardwolf

Obviously, they have alphabetised this as 'Aardwolf, Giant', although it is written out as above.

They are "related to Hyenas" (it looks like the did their research), and about the size of a large wolf. Like their smaller real world cousins, they normally eat insects.

It looks like the only reason PCs would be running across them into trouble with them is if they are tasked with retrieving some cubs (who are SKILL 4 STAMINA 3, as against 7/7 for the adults), perhaps to be raised as pets for rich noblemen. Sadly, unlike in the other thread, no values for kidnapped young are given.

glass.

Cirv

Cool thread. All I remember from the book was a bunch of nomad types who I think fired Cyclops style red laser beams from their eyes. They were probably called Red Eyes or something similar.

I should be running a 4th ed. short adventure soon and using Titan for the setting could work well. Cheers for the idea Pete.

Lewd Beholder

RPGnet Member
Validated User

darm, you should expand this for all of the fighting fantasy books.

truely a fun spot of fun that influenced me as a gamer :).

Top Bottom