• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Lets Read] Pathfinder Book of the Damned

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
And seems to be canonically dead in 2e (at least for the time being).
Well, as mentioned, there must always be a Gorilla king.

I mean Azeroth has the Lich King, and Golarion has the Gorilla King.

Its serious business. Serious Monkey Business.

I'm having a lot of fun with this. If you couldn't tell.

Davies

Validated User
If I was ever going to run the Savage Tide adventure path in Golarion, Anghazan would be the big bad, and his plan would be the exact opposite of Demogorgon's -- rather than using the Tide to get rid of an alternate personality, he'd be trying to use it to give himself one and in the process promote himself to the status of a deity.

And no, neither in Vaults of Madness (where Ruthazek appears) nor anywhere else, as far as I can tell, is Anghazan statted up.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Well, as mentioned, there must always be a Gorilla king.

I mean Azeroth has the Lich King, and Golarion has the Gorilla King.

Its serious business. Serious Monkey Business.

I'm having a lot of fun with this. If you couldn't tell.
It sounds like the Gorilla King cycle may actually have been overturned in 2e, at least his kingdom fell.

Crinos

Validated User
It sounds like the Gorilla King cycle may actually have been overturned in 2e, at least his kingdom fell.
My Guess is the Maagembaya finally got tired of all this monkeying around and invaded the Gorilla King's domain, and killed him, and destroyed the totems that make a new gorilla king

I bet Anghazan must be furious over that. I bet he's going bananas right now.

Proteus

Yours Pedantically
Validated User
Seems odd to me that the chaotic Abyss is the place that neatly divides up creatures and terrains and gives everything a boss.

Here's the jungle place, only jungle things live here, they are ruled by the Demon Lord of Jungles.

Deserts, scorpions, gnolls, oozes. You name it, there's a Demon Lord claiming categorical dominion over it.

Sounds pretty Lawful Evil to me. "Sorry, scorpions aren't my department, I'm non-desert arachnids only, you'll have to take it up with Layer 762b..."

Crinos

Validated User
I think its less "Every realm is neat and tidy" and more "These are the domains of petty warlords who have the power to shape the land and its denizens to their liking."

Like this is an explicit demon lord power.

From Bestiary 4 said:
*Use of the following spell-like abilities at will—demand,
discern location, fabricate, major creation, and polymorph
any object (when used on objects or creatures that are
native to the realm, the polymorph duration factor
increases by 6).

• Use of the following spell-like abilities once per
day—binding, miracle (limited to physical effects that
manipulate the realm or to effects that are relevant to
the demon lord’s areas of concern)
So basically, when a Demon Lord claims an area of the abyss, they can reshape it and its natives to whatever they choose.

Proteus

Yours Pedantically
Validated User
It's also that most of these domains don't really come across as the materialised vision of a mad warlord from the plane of chaotic evil.

I know it starts to sound a bit more Exalted than Pathfinder, but if that's the way these regions come about, I'd expect more shit like jungles of ice populated by crystal hummingbirds that drink hope.

Or maybe it's pragmatic for a Demon Lord to be closely aligned to Material Plane phenomena? Makes raising a cult easier if you're the Ape King of the Jungle than if you're M'krylth the Walker on Obsidian Serendipity.

Crinos

Validated User
Well remember that in Pathfinder Demons are born from human sin. Most of them were human at some point, so while their realms are evil, they're a form of evil comprehensible to the human mind.

Compare that to the Qlippoth, the original inhabitants of the Abyss, who are utterly inhuman, and have realms that mirror that.

Top Bottom