• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Lets Read] Pathfinder Book of the Damned

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Yeah, IIRC isn't the abyss the result of Daemons trying to taint the Maelstrom or something?

Even if not, there is a major beef between Daemons and Proteans (As we will see in the next entry) though to be fair Daemons have a beef with literally everyone.
The Abyss is what happened when the Proteans, annoyed at the gods messing with their pure chaos, tried to find more chaos to better resist them.

They dug too greedily and too deep, and brought the alien cosmology of the qlippoth into synchronization with the Outer Sphere.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
The Abyss is what happened when the Proteans, annoyed at the gods messing with their pure chaos, tried to find more chaos to better resist them.

They dug too greedily and too deep, and brought the alien cosmology of the qlippoth into synchronization with the Outer Sphere.
Ah.

So bacially they dug into the far realm and the far realm got mixed into the Maelstrom and then you get Abyss. I dig it.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Ah.

So bacially they dug into the far realm and the far realm got mixed into the Maelstrom and then you get Abyss. I dig it.
Pretty much.

After that, it goes something like:

Pharasma decides the Abyss is a good place to put CE souls, they start showing up as larvae.

An early Horseman decides larvae could be more metal, experiments, creates the first demons.

The Abyss itself decides demons are metal, larvae start spontaneously becoming demons. The qlippoth are overwhelmed and retreat to the deeper Abyss.

Surviving qlippoth decide to destroy all mortals.

Rovagug, only known qlippoth god, decides to cut to the chase and just destroy the Material Plane.

The gods manage to imprison Rovagug in Golarion.

...and here we are.

Zum-Graat

Validated User
As someone noted, qlippoth are clearly supposed to be stand-ins for incomprehensible, alien Lovecraftian horrors... which doesn't really make much sense in the universe that has ACTUAL Lovecraftian horrors. It's actually kind of disappointing. I feel like qlippoth are overshadowed most of the time by Outer Gods and all the creatures associated with them. Maybe it would make sense to link them somehow? Make Outer Gods the leaders of qlippoth? But then their struggle against demons wouldn't make any sense, since Outer Gods are among the strongest beings in the Pathfinder multiverse. I feel like there needs to be SOME tie between qlippoth and Lovecraftian creatures, because having two sets of super-ancient and incomprehensibly alien Chaotic Evil beings is a bit excessive.

Hot Madess

Angazhan

Hey I got a pic for this one, and I don't need to sblock it.

Angazhan, The Ravenous King, is the Demon Lord of Apes, Brutal Tyrants and Jungles. His weapon of choice is the spear, his worshipers include Charu Kai (The evil Monkey people from the Inner Sea world guide), Girallons, Jungle Warlords, and sadistic Saurians (Saurians being giant T-rex people from bestiary 6), his minions include awakened dinosaurs, giant fiendish apes of immense size, Girallons, and other jungle monsters.

The obedience to Angazhan involves ingegsting hallucinogenic plants then beating a drum made of human skin while chanting a prayer to Angazhan. You get a +4 profane bonus to saves against poisons and diseases that are caused by exposure to the jungle or from jungle monsters.

The second tier evangelist boon is Canopy crawler. Your feet become prehensile, giving you a climb speed and allowing you to tarzan between trees, and can do a bunch of other climbing related stuff so long as your feet are free (Magical footwear will reshape to let you do this, normal shoes do not). The tier three boon is one with the jungle: You gain perfect knowledge of the jungle, you get a bonus to AC and saves, you can never be surprised or flat footed in the jungle, and you ignore cover and concealment from jungle terrain, as it literally moves out of the way to give you a clean shot.

The exalted tier 2 boon is Summon child of Angazhan, which allows you to summon an advanced fiendish Girallon, 1d3 advanced fiendish dire apes, or 1d4+1 advanced fiendish apes once per day as a standard action. The tier three boon is Jungle's might, which gives you +2 to strength and fortitude saves..... Kind of weak but whatever.

The sentinel tier 2 boon is Reign of terror. You add your strength modifier to your intimidate check, and when you make an intimidate check to demoralize someone within 30 feet with a swift action. You can also try and demoralize everyone within 10 feet of you as a move action. If your intimidate check succeeds by 5 or more, the victim is frightened for one round then shaken, if you succeed by 10 or more, the victim cowers for a round, then is frightened, then is shaken. You can also demoralize allies and instead of the normal effect they get +2 to attack. The tier three boon is Unchallenged Tyrant. When you perform your obedience you designate a number of people present equal to your cha modifier as your thralls. Three times per day you can give them a bonus to strength, constitution and initiative check, and giving them your teamwork feats as bonus feats. If any of them die, they are automatically hit with a death ward.

Angazhan is a giant blood red ape with long fingers, horns, claws, and relaively small eyes. King Kong aint got shit on him. His worship is strongest in the Mwangi expanse, and his worshipers there are the Charu Ka. Anghazan is also served by the Nalfashnee demons, although most are too arrogant to admit serving him, he has thousands of them in his jungle realm of Ahvothh-Kor, helping to enforce APE LAW.

Anghazan has ruled in the Mwangi Expanse longer than even humans have been on the continent. His preferred minions are the Gorilla Kings. There's only one at a time, but there have been hundreds over the years, who assume the form of giant gorillas with magical totems that seek out a new host when the old king die. The totems seek a recently died soul who epitomizes the brutality it takes to enforce APE LAW, and those who accept are reincarnated as Gorillas with their memories intact.

Anghazan is no slouch in combat. Although he can use weapons (provided they are properly sized up for him) he much prefers using his natural weapons. He also has the power to forcibly reincarnate those he kills into Gorilla kings. Those who become Gorilla Kings become loyal to Anghazan and the tenats of APE LAW. The only way to end the curse is to slay the Damn Dirty Ape and then remove the curse before the soul is judged at the Boneyard and shipped off to the Abyss for a eternity of torment.

Anghazan's domain is Ahvoth-Kor, an endless jungless which covers the sides of a wall of a massive abyssal rift. The sides are parallel to one another, so you can look up and see the other side if the skies are clear enough (a rare occurrence). Tree's and vines connect the sides, and the jungles are rife with demonic apes, dinosaurs, and demon infested cities where Nalfashnee rule and enforce APE LAW.

Where the two jungles converge is the place where Anghazan's zigguraut tower is located. On the edge of a rift to the deeper abyss where Qlippoth and other horrors periodically emerge.

Overal Anghazan is kind of fun. I always loved the concept of the Gorilla Kings, its a real DC comics vibe to it. I think the current Gorilla king shows up in Serpents skull, one of the few AP's I don't own yet, but will be picking up soon. Is Anghazan statted in it?

My only regret is I didn't make more ape jokes. I kind of stalled on the whole Ape Law thing. Feel free to contribute your own though.

Actually I just had one. It occurs to me that Ahvoth Kor is set up almost identially to Bytopia, which gives me an idea that some Gnome explorer comes across a fallen statue of Garl Glittergold in the jungle and goes "DAMN IT. YOU BLEW IT UP. DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL."

Anyway, next time we take a break from Demons for a bit, and meet our first Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Get your surgical mask on and make sure your vaccinations are up to date, Apollyon is riding in next.
I always really liked Anghazan, and Ruthazek by extension. Probably because of the DC Comics connection you stated, I always was a sucker for Gorilla Grodd. Plus the Mwangi Expanse always gave me the old school 1933 King Kong vibes; and since that movie is burned into my brain with a white-hot iron since childhood, I always appreciate nods to it.

Hot Madess

I think the current Gorilla king shows up in Serpents skull, one of the few AP's I don't own yet, but will be picking up soon. Is Anghazan statted in it?
He does show up in Book 3 of Serpent's Skull. He shows up to contest ruler-ship of the lost city weapon of Saveth-Yhi and the PCs have to duel him for it.

DarkMoc

Validated User
Once again, the exalted path for Angazhan is the one from the original book (I'm noticing a pattern here). And yes, +2 Str and Fort seems like a really weak 20th-level capstone ability. The only other demon lord I can find in Lords of Chaos that only gives stat boosts for Boon #3 is Zevgavizeb, and that's +4 Con and natural armor. Jezelda and Kabriri might only give stat boosts, but that depends on the character.

amethal

Validated User
I always really liked Anghazan, and Ruthazek by extension. Probably because of the DC Comics connection you stated, I always was a sucker for Gorilla Grodd. Plus the Mwangi Expanse always gave me the old school 1933 King Kong vibes; and since that movie is burned into my brain with a white-hot iron since childhood, I always appreciate nods to it.
I like Anghazan too. I got the impression he was included in case anyone wanted to run Savage Tide in Golarion, or as a general stand-in for Demogorgon.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I like Anghazan too. I got the impression he was included in case anyone wanted to run Savage Tide in Golarion, or as a general stand-in for Demogorgon.
I always kind of pegged Lamashtu as a stand in for Demogorgon.... kind of. I mean she is the top demon.

Top Bottom