[Let's Read] Planescape Monstrous Compendium I-III

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
4E Eladrin make more sense than the Planescape version to me. The super fey as otherworldly highly magical and capricious people that range from the normal to deity like makes sense to me. Having them as angelic beings of pure Chaotic Good just doesn't work at all for me, the only use of the Planescape Eladrin I liked was Ravenloft's Carnival and even that emphasized the more capricious and uncaring nature, in that she was completely fine with the nasty mutating side effect of her reality bubble because it only seemed right to her that people's inside and outside should match.

-Naxuul

King Snarf

Validated User
4E Eladrin make more sense than the Planescape version to me. The super fey as otherworldly highly magical and capricious people that range from the normal to deity like makes sense to me. Having them as angelic beings of pure Chaotic Good just doesn't work at all for me, the only use of the Planescape Eladrin I liked was Ravenloft's Carnival and even that emphasized the more capricious and uncaring nature, in that she was completely fine with the nasty mutating side effect of her reality bubble because it only seemed right to her that people's inside and outside should match.

-Naxuul
I disagree. If all the celestials were patterned after Judeo-Christian myths of angels, they'd all kind of mush together. I think having a celestial race being, essentially, "good faeries" actually works for the side of the great ring they're on.

junglefowl26

Validated User
I disagree. If all the celestials were patterned after Judeo-Christian myths of angels, they'd all kind of mush together. I think having a celestial race being, essentially, "good faeries" actually works for the side of the great ring they're on.
While I agree that all the good outsiders being J-C angels would be mushy, having yet another race or pretty looking good people from European myth doesn't help a lot. Instead, looking at protective beings from various mythologies can give lots of material to work with.

Or heck, D&D angels would be a lot more interesting if they took more from the original descriptions. Fire eye wheels sound pretty cool to me.

King Snarf

Validated User
While I agree that all the good outsiders being J-C angels would be mushy, having yet another race or pretty looking good people from European myth doesn't help a lot. Instead, looking at protective beings from various mythologies can give lots of material to work with.
To be fair, Planescape did a lot with other mythologies. The Sumerian, Babylonian, Egyptian, Japanese, Chinese, and Vedic/ Hindu pantheons are all well represented. They also snagged a few monsters from the al Qadim books, like the Asuras and Buraq, to give the Middle East a bit more representation as well.

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
The problem to me there is that once you force them into the mold of a Planescape celestial, there isn't a lot of faerie left in their DNA. They're essentially Aasimon that look like elves. Which is admittedly better than the Guardinals get, being Aasimon that look like furries.;)

-Naxuul

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Well the problem with DnD Angels is that the angel subtype only consists of people with wings. DnD either didn't think to or was too afraid to go with what angels actually look like in Bible stories.

So no flaming wheels studded with eyes, or giant masses of wings crowned with four different heads of four different creatures. Or a big armored dude with ten wings and no eyes.

Lets just say there's a reason that Angels usually begin any conversation with humans with "Be not afraid."

Of course, I am convinced Angels were only put into DnD as an afterthought, because someone was like "Well we have Demons and Devils, we may as well have Angels for Symmetry purposes." And they added the other races later one.

Doing research, the Eladrin and Guardinal were added in Planescape, the Archons were introduced in The first edition manual of the planes. Angels initially showed up in Dragon Magazine, and were compiled in the first edition MM II.

Last edited:

Crinos

Validated User
While they don't go that far, the aasimon at least have the technicolour aspect to make them slightly different.
Yeah, and they did make them powerful enough to warrant the awe and fear their presence would cause.

I mean Solar's can cast wish Once Per day (For reference, of the powerful fiends, the only one with a comparable ability are Pit Fiends, who can cast wish once per year. Later editions gave Glaberzu wish powers, but only for granting wishes) And their Planescape entry straight up says they are powerful enough to be Gods in their own right, but that they are content to serve.

Davies

Validated User
Of course, I am convinced Angels were only put into DnD as an afterthought, because someone was like "Well we have Demons and Devils, we may as well have Angels for Symmetry purposes."
And Gary -- who was a former Jehovah's Witness, remember -- seriously opposed it the whole way, and when Planetars and Solars were introduced, he described them as "devas", not "angels". There's a much earlier Dragon article, by Moldvay, that does have more traditional angels in it, but Gygax wasn't happy about that either.

Crinos

Validated User
And Gary -- who was a former Jehovah's Witness, remember -- seriously opposed it the whole way, and when Planetars and Solars were introduced, he described them as "devas", not "angels". There's a much earlier Dragon article, by Moldvay, that does have more traditional angels in it, but Gygax wasn't happy about that either.
Huh, that actually does give some context to why there are so few angels and why they stick to generic winged people instead of what angels allegedly looked like.

Top Bottom