• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] Realmspace (Spelljammer -- AD&D 2e)

DarkMoc

Validated User
They do get a +4 bonus to all saving throws vs. any kind of magic, and I don't remember if this is something normal halflings got in 2e. Anybody trying to perceive a sneaking Anadian halfling has a -5 penalty to the roll, and Anadian halflings are treated as invisible if they are hiding in vegetation. They also get a +3 bonus to attack rolls when using bows and slings.
Halflings got the same bonus as dwarves. A +4 to save vs. magic would imply a Con score of 14-17.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Next up we have one of the residents of the never-ever-to-be-visited-ever Sun of Realmspace. I guess you'll just have to run into one of these on the Plane of Fire instead.

Once again we have the cagey alignment: Any non-lawful and non-good. So NE, CE, or CN.

But why? The text says that the Helians are a union of the soul of a deceased follower of a fire elemental god and the heat of the Plane of Fire. But the Fire Elemental gods aren't necessarily evil, are they? We know there are good-aligned fire elementals because Zaaman Rul is the Prince of Good-aligned Fire Elementals. Have the deities worshipped by elemental residents of the Inner Planes ever been formally outlined? I imagine that deities of the Fire Elementals are probably chaotic neutral if anything, but I dunno.

The text says that Helians are "highly sentient" creatures, a phrasing which amuses me greatly. Someone let their thesaurus get away with them there. They are made of "living flame" but they have a "quasi-metallic bone structure". (So...boron? Antimony?)

Helians are nasty combatants. Bring your A-game if you have to tangle with one. They do 3d4 damage with a punch, plus an extra 1d4 if the punch-ee is wearing metal armor. And they get two punches per round.

Alternately, they can grapple you and firehug you to death, doing 3d6 points of fire damage per round. And you can't be healed during this process because any cleric that tries to heal you will take 1d6 heat damage just from touching you, and this will disrupt their concentration.

Finally, the Helian can simply conjure a huge glob of napalm from the Plane of Fire and throw it at you for 12d4 points of damage. I note that the text does NOT provide a limit to the number of times the Helian can do this per day, so it looks like an "at will" ability. Woof.

Despite what one might think, the Helians are actually a peaceful, non-violent bunch. They only attack when they feel threatened.

Unfortunately, they feel threatened by any and all spelljamming ships. Because the Helians see what these races do to their own kind and they see how brutal these races are to entities NOT of their own kind and MAN IS THE REAL MONSTER AMIRITE?!? Apparently the Helians are delicate souls who cannot abide racism in any form, so they pre-emptively attack anyone from a species known to be racist.

Sounds legit.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User

SHAI-HULUD!

The picture makes this thing look enormous, but it's "only" 5 feet long or so. So big for a worm, but not as big as a sandworm.

These things are a hazard. They attack anything that has a lower temperature than they do, because that's what they eat. However, when mating season rolls around, they look for creatures hotter than they are because that's where they lay their eggs. So really, no one is safe. The solution here is to craft a spell which masks your body heat and makes you always appear to be the same temperature as any nearby lavaworms.

The lavaworm has the ability to move at a rate of 20 for 1d4 "segments". I forget the exact definition of a segment, and only recall that it's a subdivision of a round. Apparently when they move at this rate, they are actually scrunching themselves up like a spring and then launching themselves through the air.

It has eyes and a mouth on either end of its body, so it's hard to tell which end is the front and which end is the back without a successful Knowledge (Ambiguous Physiology) roll. However, it does have a definite front and back, and you can tell which is which by the fact that a lavaworm never moves backwards.

It can attack with both mouths, though the rear mouth gets a -3 penalty to the to-hit roll. Does 2d4 damage per bite, with half of that damage being heat. So if your character is immune to fire or something, they only take half damage from a bite.

It can also spew a cloud of sulphur which blinds everything in a 20 foot radius for 1d6 rounds unless they successful save vs. breath weapon.

Another critter that you'll NEVER EVER MEET because it's on the sun, natch.

see

Validated User
Once again we have the cagey alignment: Any non-lawful and non-good. So NE, CE, or CN.
Or True Neutral! N is neither lawful nor good!
We know there are good-aligned fire elementals because Zaaman Rul is the Prince of Good-aligned Fire Elementals.
Not as of April 1991. Zaaman Rul is a later Planescape addition. Now, the 1988 Manual of the Planes mentions that there are other archoelementals of other alignments than the NE Imix, and that they all count as demigods, but it doesn't detail any others.
Have the deities worshipped by elemental residents of the Inner Planes ever been formally outlined? I imagine that deities of the Fire Elementals are probably chaotic neutral if anything, but I dunno.
The 1988 Manual of the Planes mentions Kossuth as the tyrant-king greater power of all fire elementals, although it doesn't specify his alignment. His effective alignment for purposes of Forgotten Realms clerics is N, though it's not clear that he is actually N or just doesn't care about the Prime Material.

The inhabitants of the plane other then elementals at this point in D&D's development are efreet and azer.

Between Imix (NE), the maybe-neutral "tyrant-king" Kossuth, the elementals (N), the efreet (LE), and the azer (LN), the logical alignments for "a union of the soul of a deceased follower of a fire elemental god and the heat of the Plane of Fire" would seem to be any non-chaotic and non-good (LN, LE, N, NE).

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
The lavaworm has the ability to move at a rate of 20 for 1d4 "segments". I forget the exact definition of a segment, and only recall that it's a subdivision of a round.
There are 10 segments to the round. There is a hitch though- segments were dropped for 2e. And, much like inches, were referenced many times in 2e books.

So this star is made of lava?

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
They renamed the thoquaa? Or did they? There are a remarkable number of specific similarities, but also a lot of the specifics are just randomly different. For instance, both are superheated worms that are 5' long and have a burst speed, but I'd expect 1d4 segments to be an anachronistic carry over from first edition where that unit of time existed. But that's not how the thoquaa's burst speed worked in 1e's Fiend Folio, which states it can "move at a 48" [scale inches] rate for this short burst over a distance no greater than 30' [feet]". Also stuff like how the thoquaa's alternate name is the rockworm, not the lavaworm.

Top Bottom