[Let's Read] Skyrealms of Jorune, 3rd Edition

John Marron

Exoticising the other
Validated User
I'm following along with great interest. I ran a 2 year Jorune campaign using the 2nd ed. Boxed set back in college, and am still friends with some of those guys 20 years later. We loved the setting, and even got very into the jargon. When 3rd ed. came out, it changed some fairly fundamental elements of the setting (the prevalence of Earth-Tec, the way Isho wroked, etc.), so awe weren't very into that edition.

John

ynnen

Gaming Sophist
Jorune will always have a special place in my roleplaying heart. Every couple months I open the boxed set, read through the books and revel in the setting and innovation the system introduced at the time. While perhaps appearing a bit cumbersome or rough around the edges by today's standards, Jorune presented a very different take on roleplaying, task resolution and advancement -- it was pretty far ahead of the curve when it came out.

Grymbok

Licensed to Ill
Validated User
We loved the setting, and even got very into the jargon. When 3rd ed. came out, it changed some fairly fundamental elements of the setting (the prevalence of Earth-Tec, the way Isho wroked, etc.), so awe weren't very into that edition.

John
Interesting. My feeling had always been that 3rd didn't make Earth-Tec any more common, it just included more information about it (by rolling the Earth-Tec supplement in to core). Surely in any edition Earth-Tec is pretty much all controlled by the Dharsage anyway so PCs won't see it unless you want them to?

I'll try to remember to cross-reference back to 2nd Ed's Isho rules when I get to that point, and look for the differences.

d(sqrt(-1))

Die of Cold
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Interesting. My feeling had always been that 3rd didn't make Earth-Tec any more common, it just included more information about it (by rolling the Earth-Tec supplement in to core). Surely in any edition Earth-Tec is pretty much all controlled by the Dharsage anyway so PCs won't see it unless you want them to?
AFAIK the 2nd ed Earth-Tec supplement was pretty rare, and even now goes for high prices, so people who played with 2nd ed rules may well not have seen it.

Mark

Grymbok

Licensed to Ill
Validated User
AFAIK the 2nd ed Earth-Tec supplement was pretty rare, and even now goes for high prices, so people who played with 2nd ed rules may well not have seen it.
Well that's certainly true. I've just had a quick look through my copy of 2nd Ed Earth-Tec and it is purely a technology book, with some occasional bits of flavour background about the situation on Earth during the period where the colony ships were being sent out. So it provides information about the existence of a lot more Earth-Tec, but it doesn't make any changes which would make it more common on Jorune.

However - it's certainly the case that the additional detail about all of this can make it seem like Earth-Tec should be more common.

Marius B

Euro-Trash
Validated User
I'll be following this too.

I first saw Jorune in a friend's house and was utterly blown away by the gorgeous artwork, the alienness of it and the sense of wonder. I've never managed to get said friend to run it and recently got the 3rd ed book from Noble Knight so I could at least read through it.

John Marron

Exoticising the other
Validated User

Mark
We were in this group. I didn't get a copy of Eath-Tec until after the two year campaign ended. One of the things I didn't like in 3rd was some sort of little bio-tec creatures (can't remember the name) that the 3rd ed. rulebook seemed to imply were all over the place in the wild. They had not been mentioned in 2nd ed.

As for the Isho changes, I think it was only a flavor change. IIRC, in 3rd ed. each dysha was composed of a mix of colors of Isho, while in 2nd ed. each dysha fell under one specific color. A minor thing, but after 2 years of immersing ourselves in the setting, it grated. of course, all of this is from memory of a game 20 years ago, so I could be completely off base.

John

Epengar

hiVu'uvanu
Validated User
There is a long-standing yahoogroup dedicated to Jorune. The email conversation there has been fairly quiet recently, but some ideas might get things going. There are a number of free downloads and useful links on the site too.

As noted in the original post, Chessex Manufacturing, who printed and distributed the 3rd edition for Skyrealms Publishing, still has the game book and some of the supplements on their website, so you might be able to get brand-new copies from them maybe:
http://www.chessex.com/Games/Games2.htm

The Sholari Companion is strongly recommended as a combined purchase with the 3rd edition core book. The corebook suffered from some editorial troubles that resulted in some significant errata that are in the Companinion, along with a nice collection of additional material.

and just to anticipate an inevitable question...

The copyrights to the Jorune setting are reported to be owned by several people who did business as Skyrealms Publishing, Inc. These owners have been approached several times about licensing arrangements over the years, but no deals have been made. The gossip is that the owners were unable or unwilling to cooperate with each other, and/or that they had unrealistically high expectations for the value of a license.

There have been a number of fan efforts to do conversions of other systems for Jorune.

Vagabond

Whoah, um, like, you know
Validated User
Good to see some Jorune love on the forum. I have only played a short lived campaign using 2ed. The system, the world and the jargon was too much to take on at once.

Some day, I want to have a BRP conversion to at least make the transition easier.

I'll look forward to further posts.
I am slowly working on it. Isho, Color, and Dyshas will, I hope, fit the descriptions
better than the rules seemed to. Also, I hope to add more Dyshas, as well as
decent rules for creating your own. Also, as far as Drennship - I plan on using
the Allegiance system as presented in BRP/Elric!/SB5 to facilitate codifying Drennship,
and use it for other mechanics. I hope to add more Allegiances as well, such as
the Heridothian "Pure Human" only belief.

In my copious amounts free time of course.

-V

Vagabond

Whoah, um, like, you know
Validated User
and just to anticipate an inevitable question...

The copyrights to the Jorune setting are reported to be owned by several people who did business as Skyrealms Publishing, Inc. These owners have been approached several times about licensing arrangements over the years, but no deals have been made. The gossip is that the owners were unable or unwilling to cooperate with each other, and/or that they had unrealistically high expectations for the value of a license.

There have been a number of fan efforts to do conversions of other systems for Jorune.
And, since I anticipated this, based upon my exchanges with Andrew Leker, as well
as others I know who have contacted Andrew and Miles, the "unable or unwilling to
cooperate with each other" does not appear at all accurate. There are other reasons
from what I understand. Though the "unrealistically high expectations for the value"
seems closer to reality, but still not quite true.

-V

Top Bottom