• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] Skyrealms of Jorune, 3rd Edition

Eric Tolle

A product of SCIENCE!
I'm very interested in hearing the read-through, and people's comments on Jorune for purely selfish reasons; to see if I can keep my WiP from suffering the same fate as this game. In my experience, Jorune and Tekumel have had similar reactions: it's truly beautiful, and too weird to be popular, and like Tekumel and Jorune, my WiP has a fairly exotic and non-standard concept.

Right now, I'm thinking I see one issue: overuse of Jargon and native language. Call citizens citizens, and taxation taxation; reserve the terminology for proper and for things that have no equivalency in English. Making things clear to players what's going on is vital.

Also, there's the whole "what do the PCs do?" aspect, that's already been mentioned.

Epengar

of the Clan of the Sweet Singers of Nakome
Validated User
Some day, I want to have a BRP conversion to at least make the transition easier.
There's a 10 page rough draft of a BRP conversion for Isho use posted in the Jorune yahoogroup (see the link I posted above). The author is Nick Middleton.

And, since I anticipated this, based upon my exchanges with Andrew Leker, as well
as others I know who have contacted Andrew and Miles, the "unable or unwilling to
cooperate with each other" does not appear at all accurate. There are other reasons
from what I understand. Though the "unrealistically high expectations for the value"
seems closer to reality, but still not quite true.

-V
Thanks, it's good to have some first-hand information. All I knew were the comments on the jorune lists over years past.

Kagemusha

Takeda Shingen's monkey
Validated User
I am slowly working on it. Isho, Color, and Dyshas will, I hope, fit the descriptions
better than the rules seemed to. Also, I hope to add more Dyshas, as well as
decent rules for creating your own. Also, as far as Drennship - I plan on using
the Allegiance system as presented in BRP/Elric!/SB5 to facilitate codifying Drennship,
and use it for other mechanics. I hope to add more Allegiances as well, such as
the Heridothian "Pure Human" only belief.

In my copious amounts free time of course.

-V
Have you seen Nick Middleton's BRP conversion of Isho?

Last edited:

Grymbok

Licensed to Ill
Validated User
I'm very interested in hearing the read-through, and people's comments on Jorune for purely selfish reasons; to see if I can keep my WiP from suffering the same fate as this game. In my experience, Jorune and Tekumel have had similar reactions: it's truly beautiful, and too weird to be popular, and like Tekumel and Jorune, my WiP has a fairly exotic and non-standard concept.

Right now, I'm thinking I see one issue: overuse of Jargon and native language. Call citizens citizens, and taxation taxation; reserve the terminology for proper and for things that have no equivalency in English. Making things clear to players what's going on is vital.

Also, there's the whole "what do the PCs do?" aspect, that's already been mentioned.
"What do the PCs do?" is a key issue for any RPG, alien setting or no.

To my mind one of the biggest challenges for the "alien" games is the amount of information what players need to absorb prior to play. Tekumel's solution to that (at least in the days of the TSR edition of Empire of the Petal Throne) was to have the default start for PCs be as barbarians with no knowledge of civilisation.

Jorune's answer is something I'll cover beginning in my next Let's Read post (so thanks for the link).

smascrns

Banned
Well that's certainly true. I've just had a quick look through my copy of 2nd Ed Earth-Tec and it is purely a technology book, with some occasional bits of flavour background about the situation on Earth during the period where the colony ships were being sent out. So it provides information about the existence of a lot more Earth-Tec, but it doesn't make any changes which would make it more common on Jorune.

However - it's certainly the case that the additional detail about all of this can make it seem like Earth-Tec should be more common.
Humm, I have the 2nd ed and Earth-Tec. I don't exactly recall the details all these years afterwards, but my impression is that Earth-Tec came inside the box. I may be mistaken, though.

In any case, I never felt Earth-Tec worked that well with the setting. It seemed to me that the designers of the game had two minds and two loves: On one side, this low-tec setting with so much detail and consistency, a low-tec world that could work wonderfuly while being so far from standard fantasy; on the other side, sci-fi tec. They tried to combine both but it just doesn't make sense and it broke my 'suspention of desbelief'. I mean, for thousands of years no one was able to trully tap Earth-Tec. And then sundly and for no particular reason it's the PCs that are going to do it? It just sounded like another version of your tipical D&D magic items inflation.

Vagabond

Whoah, um, like, you know
Validated User
To answer - yes, I have read Nick's doc - he and I have had
a few discussions about that topic.

Hmmm, maybe we should work it out together ...

-V

Vagabond

Whoah, um, like, you know
Validated User
Humm, I have the 2nd ed and Earth-Tec. I don't exactly recall the details all these years afterwards, but my impression is that Earth-Tec came inside the box. I may be mistaken, though.

In any case, I never felt Earth-Tec worked that well with the setting. It seemed to me that the designers of the game had two minds and two loves: On one side, this low-tec setting with so much detail and consistency, a low-tec world that could work wonderfuly while being so far from standard fantasy; on the other side, sci-fi tec. They tried to combine both but it just doesn't make sense and it broke my 'suspention of desbelief'. I mean, for thousands of years no one was able to trully tap Earth-Tec. And then sundly and for no particular reason it's the PCs that are going to do it? It just sounded like another version of your tipical D&D magic items inflation.
I agree though that in 2nd edition, it sure felt like Earth-Tec was more of an
archeology discovery. While there were supposed to be caches of tec, the
fear that the Shanthas would find tec users and attack was still an issue.
3rd edition seemed to make Earth-Tec use more relevant. However, it was
stressed that one had to be Drenn to get a weapon ...

I would rewrite things a bit and make Earth-Tec much rarer. Most of the recos
would go away for sure (milkshake reco - blech). But, caches of weaponry,
and some modern tools would be nice to "discover" here and there, and still
make the players realize how dangerous possessing Earth-Tec could be:
Shanthic sects hunting you down, Heridothians hunting you down, Ramian
hunting you down - there would be a lot of nasties out there, trying to get
a hold of your party's one blaster :)

-V

d(sqrt(-1))

Die of Cold
RPGnet Member
Validated User
AFAIK it was a seperate book.

I guess this might be partly due to the fact that (again AFAIK) Jorune originated in a Metamorphosis Alpha campaign. Given the long time scale (3500 years?) I can't see anything much still working, unless there's some sort of stasis field available.

cheers,

Mark

smascrns

Banned
I would rewrite things a bit and make Earth-Tec much rarer. Most of the recos would go away for sure (milkshake reco - blech). But, caches of weaponry, and some modern tools would be nice to "discover" here and there, and still make the players realize how dangerous possessing Earth-Tec could be
I guess this might be partly due to the fact that (again AFAIK) Jorune originated in a Metamorphosis Alpha campaign. Given the long time scale (3500 years?) I can't see anything much still working, unless there's some sort of stasis field available.
I guess that's the way to go. One can find caches of stuff but most of it will be useless, some will be dangerous to the person trying to use it (in other words, they can blow in your face...) and there are some rare jewels that do the trick.

I would also add something on "recycling" non-working old Earth-Tec to new things and usages. And I would not restrict the tec to weapons only. Too many of these in the 2nd ed book, IIRC.

Grymbok

Licensed to Ill
Validated User
We'll get in to all this later of course, but there are in-setting reasons as to why both any Earth-Tec still works, and also why it's only just become available again.

I agree with the posters who say it should be very rare.

Top Bottom