• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] Skyrealms of Jorune, 3rd Edition

Vagabond

Whoah, um, like, you know
Validated User
In all honesty, I see nothing wrong with playing in the current era. There is still plenty to do, and there is still plenty left unexplored for various reasons. Maybe tweak the history some to stave off some of the advancement, or backtrack a millennium or two. That's not to say a Colony Era setting wouldn't be fun and a nice change. But, keep the focus as is, fix some of the inconsistencies and tweak a few things, and then make a set of Colony Era supplements.

As to why there most likely will not be a fourth edition - it's is mostly a result of a lack of interest to do so on the part of the license holders. This lack of interest stems from multiple reasons, but overall, they just aren't interested.

Ian

Grymbok

Licensed to Ill
Validated User
It's interesting because of course some of the flavour text in Jorune talks about how alien the world is, but it wouldn't be alien to the PCs, since they were born there.

Getting that communal buy-in to the world is one of the big challenges, of course. Playing in Colony Era allows it to be a game of exploration to a greater degree.

I can think of two other possible patches to the problem of needing to try to align PC knowledge with player knowledge. One would be to have a group of PCs who've just got out of a Keeper Rod, where they've been entombed since the Colony Era. You could even do an initial session in Colony times before they get locked up.

Another way, which I think would actually be pretty viable for a Fantasy Fourth Edition, would be to emphasise the idea that starting PCs should be Burdothians who've never been to Ardoth, and to make it more explicitly clear what I think it already canon, namely that most Burdothians do never go to Ardoth, and consequently have never in their lives seen a Thriddle, or a Ramian. Even an Iscin race would be something rare to see, and the talk of the town for weeks afterwards. So again, PC knowledge can be dialled back.

What needs to be brought more to the front in any Fantasy Fourth Edition though would be the Ancient Greece influence, which I never clocked to until it was pointed out to me in this thread.

Vagabond

Whoah, um, like, you know
Validated User
The game text centers on the alien feel for two reasons:

1) To make the player understand how alien Jorune is, to really evoke the proper feel for the world.

2) The average PC really doesn't know that much about the alien or native life really. From a player's perspective, the 2nd edition Tauther Guide is pretty much truth for Ardothians, who are the most "cosmopolitan" of humans on Jorune. And, it does leave out a lot of information. Combining everything into the single 3rd edition book did a disservice to why the 2nd edition was laid out in separate booklets.

Really, the general Ardothian only knows some about Woffen, Bronth, Thivin, Thriddle and Salu. Maybe Corastin. But, what they know is very limited, and mostly is related to whatever trade goes on between these races. The rest - Shantha, Cleash, Scarmis, Croid, Crugar (and Cygra), Blount, Acubon, and Tologora - are mostly learned from (tall) tales and hearsay. And, as I have said before, having the Thriddle as the main source of information regarding all of these races may be a huge source of misinformation.

But, again, as I slowly work on my port of Jorune to BRP, I am doing some rewriting as well ...

Ian

Kagemusha

Takeda Shingen's monkey
Validated User
I can see that. Unconventional in as much as I can't off hand think of any other RPGs which come with two versions of the setting to use. I think it would clash as well with Andrew Leker's attempts to distance Jorune from "hack and slash" gaming. But certainly an idea with a lot of merit to it (even if personally I'm more attracted to the idea of "modern" Jorune than Colony era, I can see how the Colony would be a lot easier to get in to).
You know you had me thinking and it was the most obvious one I have.

Call of Cthulhu.

6th Edition supports play in 1920's, 1890's and modern era.

Dig around and you'll also find Cthulhu: Dark Ages and various monographs, Cthulhu Rising (In Space!), Frontier Cthulhu / Devils Gulch. (Wild West), Cthulhu Invictus (Imperial Rome) and possibly a few others.
But I agree with some of the other posters. The Core book should be about 'present day' Jorune centered in Burdoth or Thantier ( for the human centric start).

Colony era should be a supplement aimed as a stepping stone to full on Jorune goodness.

RuneQuester

Validated User
Wow. Incredible thread! Does anyone know if the articles that were hosted at 'www.jorune.org' are still hosted somewhere else? Because the Jorune.org site appears to be gone or at the very least all of those articles are no longer hosted at the site. I am in the process of locating and purchasing the various White Wolf "Segment Jorune" articles again through ebay but it would be nice to find these (and other sources of Jorune information) online somewhere.

Kagemusha

Takeda Shingen's monkey
Validated User
Wow. Incredible thread! Does anyone know if the articles that were hosted at 'www.jorune.org' are still hosted somewhere else? Because the Jorune.org site appears to be gone or at the very least all of those articles are no longer hosted at the site. I am in the process of locating and purchasing the various White Wolf "Segment Jorune" articles again through ebay but it would be nice to find these (and other sources of Jorune information) online somewhere.
Try here. http://jorune.oakandlotus.com/

Treblig

Validated User
That's an interesting post. A fair bit more ambitious than vision of the Tech level. Shame the post did not generate more debate.

Like I said, I'm not looking for widespread firearms, but to include basic firearms within the 'Earth-Tec' umbrella.

If this cannot be so, eg cannot reproduce the propellants, fine. I would just like to know why.
I once thought of the reason why gunpowder does not exist on Jorune.

Isho. Gunpowder is quite explosive. Perhaps Isho weather sets off concentrations of gunpowder or other explosive things.

Sedenya

Validated User
Nope. That was the first one I tried actually. Links are dead to everything on that site apparently.
The White Wolf Jorune articles originally came from me, so I still should have them somewhere!
Let me check, though it might take some time, having hard drives spread over various flats.

As for the rest of scans - should have them too fairly complete. Will check as well, dropbox will be your friend!

Cheers!

Top Bottom