[Let's Read] The 4e Monster Manual and Monster Vault

ESkemp

Validated User
But then where would Sigil's signature power couple, A'Kin The Friendly Fiend and Shemeshka the Marauder be?
4e provided the ravaasta in Manual of the Planes, which are not-quite-arcanaloths that seem to have been specifically designed to comfortably fit into the A'Kin and Shemeshka roles of plotting fiend-types that you're more likely to encounter in a social context.

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
I like most of the Yugoloths as individual monsters, though i'm perfectly fine with them not being a specific category. I very much like the categorization of them as mercenaries. I mean as fiends go they're no where near as boring as like.. well basically the entire grouping of Devils.

-Naxuul

Eklev

Validated User
I think yugoloths can work just fine in a Planescape game, but anywhere else I do think they’re out of place. They work well as demons in 4e.

Mezzodemons were updated in Book of Vile Darkness, but I think it was a simple numbers update.

MoutonRustique

Validated User
This mezzodemon is a sad departure from what I always thought of them : the "beetle soldiers" from The Crystal Shard (or, I guess, Neverending Story 2(or 3?))

On the other hand, they get an excellent purpose and role. Plus, they're really easy to see as corrupted elemental bugs! Awesome all-around.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
This mezzodemon is a sad departure from what I always thought of them : the "beetle soldiers" from The Crystal Shard (or, I guess, Neverending Story 2(or 3?))

On the other hand, they get an excellent purpose and role. Plus, they're really easy to see as corrupted elemental bugs! Awesome all-around.
You mean The Dark Crystal?

Lord Shark

Varoonik!
Validated User
I've never thought of mezzodaemons as being particularly bug-like, but that's because my mental image of them is Russ Heath's Fiend Folio illo, which makes them look more like a chitin-y pit fiend with a bat head.

MoutonRustique

Validated User
You mean The Dark Crystal?
Yes, yes I do... Man... I think I lost twice the Internet points I've ever had...

More on the Mezzodemons (to try and obfuscate my earlier blunder) - I've had great success in using them as super-sticky bastards. If you can get one of them to the back row and skewer the leader, watching all the party converge on it just in time for it's breath attack is a thing of beauty. :evilgrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom