• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] The AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide (1e)

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I just realized there are no cursed horseshoes. I suspect it's a psychological thing; it's fine to instantly kill a PC with a cursed cloak, but making a horse sad is beyond the pale.

Dalillama

Validated User
I just realized there are no cursed horseshoes. I suspect it's a psychological thing; it's fine to instantly kill a PC with a cursed cloak, but making a horse sad is beyond the pale.
Look, the horse never asked to go on this adventure, ok? Y'all human-types go off and do all kinda foolhardy shit and just drag the horses along will they nil they to places full of horse-eating monsters, and now you want to curse them too?

SuStel

Validated User
Horseshoes of Speed: Magical horseshoes that do not wear out and double a steed’s speed. However, every seven leagues traveled there’s a 1% chance of losing a shoe. If one’s lost and isn’t noticed to reshode, then the horse travels 1.5x normal speed; if two are lost they lose their effectiveness.

CharOp question: Given that a Paladin can never have more than four miscellaneous magic items, is this a good choice for their warhorse?
Does it count as a paladin's magic item if the warhorse has it?

(Answer: yes.)

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yes. The four horseshoes are a single item for this. A paladin could, for example, have a Deck of Many Things and three other magic items besides weapons, armor and shields (which each have their own limit).

Rangers can only own what they can carry or fit on their mount, so it's a great treasure for them. They also have a chance* of getting centaurs or a pegasus followers who would probably benefit from the magic items, though I don't know if the pegasus cares about the properties of either shoe.

* Not a good chance, but it's on their chart.

Davies

Validated User
Interestingly, the only ones in the Encyclopedia Magica come from a BECMI product, so you may be right.

Ryric

Validated User
It's tough enough being a horse in AD&D; no scaling hp means eventually any random fireball or breath weapon is instant death. I had a friend in college who just named all his horses "Ghost" and numbered them. One campaign he was riding Ghost XIV.

WistfulD

Validated User
Or it simply isn't very much of a threat.

Scenario #1 --
"Do you think we should risk using the item, without being sure it isn't cursed?"
"I don't know, that's quite a gamble..."

Scenario #2 --
"Do you think we should risk using the horseshoes, without being sure they aren't cursed?"
"Sure, why not, we're 10 minutes walk from the local Horses Depot..."

Top Bottom