[Let's Read] The AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide (1e)

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Scenario #2 --
"Do you think we should risk using the horseshoes, without being sure they aren't cursed?"
"Sure, why not, we're 10 minutes walk from the local Horses Depot..."
Being cursed, wouldn't they be impossible to take off without Remove Curse?

And I posted a handful of cursed horseshoes to the second Fantastic Elements thread this morning. Some are low hanging fruit and others not so much.

LordofArcana

Validated User

And I posted a handful of cursed horseshoes to the second Fantastic Elements thread this morning. Some are low hanging fruit and others not so much.
I believe the implication is that it would be cheaper to get a new horse.

Though it would be fun to curse the Horseshoes of the Zephyr so they can't fall off.

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I feel a magic shoe that makes the horse super intelligent and gives them a hatred of their rider would be fun. If only I could think of a better name than Horseshoes of Bad Horse.

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
I feel a magic shoe that makes the horse super intelligent and gives them a hatred of their rider would be fun. If only I could think of a better name than Horseshoes of Bad Horse.
... The Thoroughbred of Sin...

Horseshoe of the Bucking Bronco?

WistfulD

Validated User

There are very few cursed items which cannot be removed from a corpse, particularly if you don't care about leaving the body in a raise-able form. All of which is a roundabout way of saying that cursing an expendable steed* does not have the emotional resonance as cursing someone's PC** or even deeply-invested-in henchmen.
*And we've already been commenting on just how expendable AD&D tends to make steeds.
**Although, frankly, we're also making jokes about just how much you shouldn't get attached to PCs in AD&D.

David Howery

Validated User
cursed horse shoes? Ooh, my nasty DM brain is kicking in now. Shoes that make your horse always try to buck you off. Shoes that turn your horse into a huge flaming demon while you're riding it (or a nightmare... or an acid secreting festering demon... or a giant wild boar). Shoes that drain your levels while you're riding and give them to the horse. Shoes that kill your horse in mid-gallop. Shoes that teleport your horse (but not you) while you're riding it... or that teleport you both to the nearest deep ocean... or to Asmodeus's palace in the Nine Hells. Shoes that make your horse rise up and up in the air with every step, until you reach a nice high elevation and then suddenly stop working.

okay, I'll stop now.

Sirharrok

Validated User
cursed horse shoes? Ooh, my nasty DM brain is kicking in now. Shoes that make your horse always try to buck you off. Shoes that turn your horse into a huge flaming demon while you're riding it (or a nightmare... or an acid secreting festering demon... or a giant wild boar). Shoes that drain your levels while you're riding and give them to the horse. Shoes that kill your horse in mid-gallop. Shoes that teleport your horse (but not you) while you're riding it... or that teleport you both to the nearest deep ocean... or to Asmodeus's palace in the Nine Hells. Shoes that make your horse rise up and up in the air with every step, until you reach a nice high elevation and then suddenly stop working.

okay, I'll stop now.
I like the shoes that drain xp from the rider and give them to the horse...

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Horseshoes of Centaur Form: Anyone who stays on the horse for more than an hour cannot get off the saddle.

Horseshoes of Polymorph Horse: Roll on a table to see what the horse turns into. Of course, this activates in battle or when riding in a dangerous situation.

Horseshoes of the Fey: These silvered shoes transform an ordinary horse into a unicorn, which is fine as long as its rider is a chaotic good elf or human. In all other cases you've at best lost a mount.

Horseshoes of Frau Blucher: These horseshoes don't do anything for the horse, but whenever someone says a certain keyword within a league of the animal every horse in that radius becomes hysterical. The Horseshoes of Frau Blucher can destroy an agricultural community quickly, especially if the keyword is something common like "straw" or "rain."

Top Bottom