• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] The AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide (1e)

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
Assassins, the game claimed, were not a class because assassin was a profession, not an archetype. This was clearly nonsense, since the other classes could be thought of as professions too. The real reason they were dropped was to try to clean up the image of AD&D.
The rationale was was clearly self-censorship, but this is one case where I liked the result: Evil priests, wizards, or warriors make great assassins; and the assassin class wasn't terribly interesting anyway.

For the Ioun Stones, I never really liked the orbiting your head thing, it just seemed over the top or something. I would have preferred if I could just slap one into my forehead (like Moondragon, the Marvel character).
After you find a few, your forehead will start to look cluttered. IIRC, the original version trailed the owner, more like a cloak. They also didn't come in multiple colors.

MacBalance

Validated User
I always assumed ioun stones were popular because they were a way to get enchantments that weren't tied to a magic item slot, but I'm so bad at D&D charop that I'm not even sure of that anymore.
I'm playing the Infinity Engine Baldur's Gate games, where they're annoying a Head Slot item, so can't be paired with magic helmets/hats/other ioun stones, etc. I think they may have added some extra bonuses to them, though.

Strictly speaking, the bard was a class in the rogue group. Sub-classes were promoted to full, optional classes, and they were collected into super-classes called groups.
Yes. I remember even when AD&D 2e was current thinking this was a somewhat underused 'structure' they built in the PHB. The Class Groups were presumably intended to help simplify things like items that could only be used by certain classes (or spells that had class-based effects) but I also feel there was an intent to add more classes to the existing groups, but we didn't see many classes added as Kits took over (which I think launched in the early Class books?) as the 'added customization' method for the system.

The rationale was was clearly self-censorship, but this is one case where I liked the result: Evil priests, wizards, or warriors make great assassins; and the assassin class wasn't terribly interesting anyway.
I think the Assassin's biggest problem was one of it's key features was basically a table to automate the fun parts of the game. The whole "Roll a random chance to kill someone" instead of playing out the mission seems like a poor design idea looking back at it.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
I'm playing the Infinity Engine Baldur's Gate games, where they're annoying a Head Slot item, so can't be paired with magic helmets/hats/other ioun stones, etc. I think they may have added some extra bonuses to them, though.
One stone at a time certainly isn't tabletop rules! F Felix does this book tell us exactly how many stones an individual can have orbiting them at once?

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
There doesn't appear to be a limit. They're found in batches of 1-10, so nothing (except the laws of probability) seems to prevent you from getting +1 to all stats, the ability to regenerate, an extra level, 12 levels of stored spells, and the ability to absorb of to 80 spell levels of 8th level or less simultaneously.

SuStel

Validated User
The whole "Roll a random chance to kill someone" instead of playing out the mission seems like a poor design idea looking back at it.
For a game that centers around groups plundering dungeons, exploring wilderness, and managing realms, it makes sense to cover the assassin's solo missions with a die roll. You keep the other players in the game. If your DM was willing to run a solo game for you and your assassin character, you could skip the table.

David Howery

Validated User
although it would be weird to have 10 stones orbiting around your head. Not to mention, it might make enemies target you first...

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
There is a Dragon article that has a couple dozen more Ioun stones and the author wrote a file that is on Dragonsfoot that has 600 more. Never need to worry about players memorizing their shapes and effects with that.

Beckett

Golden Wyvern Adept
Validated User
I did not know that, thanks for the info. Sad to hear. It has become my favorite healing poultice as it is so versatile.
Not the only real world name to make it into the game, but I only came across it a few years back when reading Empire of Imagination, a Gygax biography.

Ioun stones, looking up some of the art, I feel like they'd be a distraction, constantly seeing something out of the corner of your eye. But, might be okay with something more static, like Elrond in the Rankin-Bass movies https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5c/07/e8/5c07e8b3b4ade0cf788d34f08bb46e40.png

koaraeakqdramo

Validated User
There is a Dragon article that has a couple dozen more Ioun stones and the author wrote a file that is on Dragonsfoot that has 600 more. Never need to worry about players memorizing their shapes and effects with that.
I love that 600 Ioun stones document, so many wacky effects.

Top Bottom