• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] The AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide (1e)

Voros

Validated User
Look at the artist's name.

Yep.

Now take a second look at the body proportions.

It's an interesting piece. It's not great art, and it's a standard cheesecake shot. But it's from a woman's pen, and based on a realistic female body type, and thus very different from a lot of male gaze art.
I wouldn’t consider that a cheesecake shot at all just because it has a bit of nudity. The body type is one reason, the general strangeness another but also note the pose itself is nicked from a Gustave Dore piece.

Thanks for the Let’s Read F Felix .

Last edited:

David Howery

Validated User
I greatly enjoyed this "let's read " and I would love to see more on the MM and the MM2. Thank you for this!
Second this. This thread is by far the 'Let's read.." thread that I have participated in the most. Even though I lost my 1E DMG years ago and haven't played 1E since the Reagan administration, I have fond memories of the game back then....

Ryric

Validated User
I have also enjoyed this Let's Read and want to congratulate you for finishing it. I've seen a lot of these get abandoned halfway through so it's quite nice to see one get to the end. Great job!

If you're going to do monster books next I'm going to be the oddball apparently and suggest Fiend Folio. IMO it has the weirdest monsters.

Davies

Validated User
If you're going to do monster books next I'm going to be the oddball apparently and suggest Fiend Folio. IMO it has the weirdest monsters.
You're not wrong, but there's already been a well-received Let's Read of the original Fiend Folio, here.

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I am glad you all enjoyed this let's read. It was fun. After some careful consideration -- which involved rolling a die, of course :) -- I have decided to do the MM2 as my next Let's Read, probably starting in a day or two as I catch up on some non-RPG things in life before beginning the thread.

One minor thing I'll be bummed at not getting to bring up is the Drow. There was a thread not too long ago about whether it was time to get rid of them, and I find it interesting in the first MM they didn't formally exist, but were just listed as rumored to be around in a sub-entry under elves. Now, I know the real reason was that TSR was getting ready to put out a series of modules starring them and probably hand't quite finished statting them out or had already decided they'd be in the FF. But I really like the concept of a monster manual filled with urban legends, and that drow might really be a rumor created by races who hate elves -- "You think they're so goody goody, but you don't see the real ones."

Top Bottom