• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro [Let's Read] The Known World/Mystara - ALL of it, from the beginning

Davies

Validated User
So Tomb of Annihilation includes some Mystara references. Each time it mentions alternatives to the Realmsian setting, Mystaran locations like Specularum, Slagovich, and the Savage Coast come up. I found it a bit thrilling to see Specularum mentioned in the same breath as Greyhawk and Sharn, but your mileage may vary.

NPCDave

Validated User
So Tomb of Annihilation includes some Mystara references. Each time it mentions alternatives to the Realmsian setting, Mystaran locations like Specularum, Slagovich, and the Savage Coast come up. I found it a bit thrilling to see Specularum mentioned in the same breath as Greyhawk and Sharn, but your mileage may vary.
That is very cool, and the Piazza has a thread with further discussion on the possibilities of setting the adventure in Mystara.

And just as cool is the following release by WotC at DriveThruRPG

2017The Tortle Package : Tomb of Annihilation Supplement

This brings tortles to 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Edition as a player character race, having last appeared with 3.5 D&D.

While these are tortles in the Forgotten Realms, the supplement does acknowledge their origins in Mystara and their first appearance in X9 The Savage Coast. This supplement also provides an adventure location which includes a small tortle settlement and, while small, it is more fleshed out and detailed than anything tortles have gotten before.

The adventure location includes some monsters which are noted for first appearing in BECMI D&D, including the decapus, the geonids (who are now back to their B/X and 2E incarnation), and topis.

I could go into more detail, but there is already an extended review of the Tortle Package on YouTube you can peruse.

And to top it all off, one of the miniature releases for Tomb of Annihilation, which is also included in the board game(I think?) is a juggernaut miniature.

While we never discussed miniatures in this thread, the first time I saw this miniature it brought me straight back to my memories of X4 Master of the Desert Nomads, and its cover picture...

A huge wave of nostalgia crashed over me and a few days later it still feels like 1983.

QuadOfThay

Stay frosty.
Validated User
I'm a big fan of those modules, but the first thing I think when I see that art is a thought bubble over the juggernaut's head about how it took a wrong turn at Albequerque.

yar

It took me about three weeks to read most of this thread. Wow. That's a lot of information. Someone out there besides me likes the setting. :) One of the posters asked about where to base the characters and Darokin was mentioned. I'm sure you can base your players' characters anywhere you want. The suggestion I remember reading about was in Threshold probably because it's near the first several B and X modules suggested placements.

http://www.pandius.com/expert-set-known-world-24-original-colours.png

Motorskills

RPGnet Member
Validated User
As most of you will be aware, Thorfin Tait is an accomplished gaming cartographer, and has been doing insane work to update and harmonize the Known World (including using computer technology to create a 3D model of the planet, complete with the Hollow World).

This week he came across something amazing, a hidden-in-plain-sight map, essentially a watermark on pages 2-3 of X9, no-one had noticed this before, Bruce Heard was unaware. :)

Zzrryll

Validated User
We're really in the dregs now. How much more is there to go through from Official Sources? I'm sure we've spent more pages and words on Genesis Games and paragraphs in spell books than the main section by Blacky!

When will the madness end? :)
Yeah. It’s kinda weird how this goes from “we will cover the changes to the setting that occur in these products”, to, in some cases like the later Dragon Magazine stuff, write ups/synopses with a word count that is arguably much higher than the source material.

Or, in the cases like the later Almanacs, a listing of literally everything that happened in the book.

It feels rather self indulgent.

Kinda sad how that buries the pertinent stuff.

So it goes.

Top Bottom