• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] The Nightmares Underneath

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
If I don't put this out in 2019, it'll be cuz I fucked up real bad.
I don't know if it makes sense to have two Patreons, but I'd happily pay monthly for TNU monsters and essentially pay you to build the book over a year, if the numbers work out for that. I don't do the Patreon now b/c I don't think I have a need for Dungeon World or LL monsters, and I think I'm poor, and the two don't mix that well.

Johnstone

Validated User
Doing that patreon was mainly a way to get Nathan to agree to do another project with me, because he wasn't going to commit to a whole book off of nothing, and even now it works real good for creating deadlines. But in terms of being an excuse for promotion and a money generator, it's not doing enough* to make me want to rush out and start another one just for my own stuff.

*(I mean doing enough for me, personally, a guy who hates doing promotion to begin with, I don't mean in general)

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Wow, I didn't even have to say his name three times and he still appeared! :D

As for a monster book, I really, really, really want one. That would be the cat's meow and something different from the other OSR bestiaries out there.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I always love more bestiaries and monster manuals, even for systems I don't use.

Atlictoatl

Validated User

Questing Beast with a video review of The Nameless Grimoire. "One of the most thorough and complete magic supplements..."

Last edited:

Bobus X

King of the Bobites
Validated User
Finally got my copy this Saturday. About 1/3 of the way through, and this game is already one that gets my imagination going more than most of my other games. For pure excitement, only Blades in the Dark and Fate of the Norns got me more hyped.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Finally got my copy this Saturday. About 1/3 of the way through, and this game is already one that gets my imagination going more than most of my other games. For pure excitement, only Blades in the Dark and Fate of the Norns got me more hyped.
Congrats! What's some of the stuff that's grabbing you?

For myself, my players are just now entering their first incursion, and I'm really enjoying Johnstone's procedural stuff in Chapter 6: Raiding the Nightmare Realms and Chapter 8: A World Full of Nightmares. Having the organizing principle of Nightmare Incursions allows dungeons to make much more sense for me, and also allows them to get weird and strange and off-kilter, which is more fun for me. And, as with all the stuff in this book, TNU manages to make this stuff eminently playable. Things like light sources aren't too fiddly and they work for play, while also allowing for some tactical decision-making, and the manner in which random encounters mix in with the 'countdown to nightmare' allow for a constant ratcheting up of dramatic tension. It's a ruleset that's working overtime, and on a few different levels, and I'm just super-pleased with how fun it is to run.

Bobus X

King of the Bobites
Validated User
Congrats! What's some of the stuff that's grabbing you?

For myself, my players are just now entering their first incursion, and I'm really enjoying Johnstone's procedural stuff in Chapter 6: Raiding the Nightmare Realms and Chapter 8: A World Full of Nightmares. Having the organizing principle of Nightmare Incursions allows dungeons to make much more sense for me, and also allows them to get weird and strange and off-kilter, which is more fun for me. And, as with all the stuff in this book, TNU manages to make this stuff eminently playable. Things like light sources aren't too fiddly and they work for play, while also allowing for some tactical decision-making, and the manner in which random encounters mix in with the 'countdown to nightmare' allow for a constant ratcheting up of dramatic tension. It's a ruleset that's working overtime, and on a few different levels, and I'm just super-pleased with how fun it is to run.
A huge part of what is grabbing me is actually the mechanics for interacting with society when you aren't on adventures. This is a big part of what I love about Blades in the Dark, is having actual systems to show how the PCs adventures and off time affect the rest of the world. Also, the nightmare design system looks very interesting and provides awesome tools for generating adventures without too much of a brain tax.

It certainly helps that the book is very well laid out, and has an overall clean and easy to read appearance, but still has plenty of art and graphics. This has always been a big deal to me. It is just plain a pleasure to read.

Atlictoatl