• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Let's Read] The Palladium Roleplaying Game, AKA Palladium Fantasy First Edition

Spikey

Mean Mm-Mm Servant of God
Validated User
Ogres hearken back a little to fairy tale and folklore ogres, as well as the ogres in RuneQuest, that are a little more human-like than the ogres of D&D.
Yes. I don't remember the rape from fairy tales but I'm sure it was in the subtext. The one-drop-of-blood racial essentialism, not so much.

Rupert

Validated User
Ogres only get two dice each for MA and PB but four each for PS and PE (so, as far as attributes go, just like dwarves except faster on their feet). They can use their claws in combat for 1d8 damage (plus any PS bonus) and bite for 1d6 damage (without a PS bonus). They live for ninety years, stand six to eight feet tall, weigh 180lb-300lb and are hairy and muscular. their skin is ‘warm grey to tan’ and sometimes scaley or flakey.
According to a note in the weapon pirce and damage lists they, like trolls and wolfen, get to use gient-sized weapons, which do an extra dice of damage.
Ogres are hostile to all other races, apparently, and like to eat humans, elves, dwarves and faeries (ninety-nine percent are cannibals).
Mine says they like Orcs, because they can bully them round. They make trolls seem like nice chaps.

Spikey

Validated User
According to a note in the weapon pirce and damage lists they, like trolls and wolfen, get to use gient-sized weapons, which do an extra dice of damage.
Yes. I haven't got there yet. I'm trying to cover all the material on the main races in one go but covering all the rules and rules conflicts it brings up will have to wait until I get to the rest of the book.

Mine says they like Orcs, because they can bully them round.
Yes, mine says that too. It says orcs are impressed by ogres' strength, despite them rolling the same number of dice for PS. Maybe orcs are just easily impresssed?

They make trolls seem like nice chaps.
Indeed. It's interesting how the various playable races are characterised as good or evil (such as the wolfen being more civilised in their international relations than humans, trolls killing passers by for fun, or the gratuitious rapeyness of ogres) when
  1. they're all playable, which would seem to position all of them as potential protagonists, and
  2. there's a separate alignment system that covers this sort of thing and no race is barred from any alignment.
I'll have more to say about this once I've covered alignments.

Last edited:

Rupert

Validated User
Yes, mine says that too. It says orcs are impressed by ogres' strength, despite them rolling the same number of dice for PS. Maybe orcs are just easily impresssed?
Given that they're willing to work for just about anyone as long as they're about the same height, aren't weak (2d6 Strength), and are either smarter (3d6+ IQ) or 'stronger', I'd say that Orcs are indeed easily impressed. Oh, and Orges might not have a higher PS stat, but they do use higher-damage weapons. Add in the extra PE and an Orc of equal level, gear, etc., probably loses to an Ogre.

Spikey

Validated User
Orges might not have a higher PS stat, but they do use higher-damage weapons. Add in the extra PE and an Orc of equal level, gear, etc., probably loses to an Ogre.
In single combat, yes. But orcs love fighting just for fun whereas ogres are passionate in love, hate and anger so I can well imagine the ogre would be more upset about the fight afterwards.

Erik Sieurin

Translemurist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Given that they're willing to work for just about anyone as long as they're about the same height, aren't weak (2d6 Strength), and are either smarter (3d6+ IQ) or 'stronger', I'd say that Orcs are indeed easily impressed. Oh, and Orges might not have a higher PS stat, but they do use higher-damage weapons. Add in the extra PE and an Orc of equal level, gear, etc., probably loses to an Ogre.
Didnt Orcs have a low ME stat? Couldn't that count as "easily impressed"?

Spikey

Validated User
Didnt Orcs have a low ME stat? Couldn't that count as "easily impressed"?
ME isn't described in that way: it's pretty much a mental counterpart to PE, which is basically the same as AD&D's constitution stat. Besides, ogres (along with elves, dwarves, trolls and wolfen) only roll two dice for MA, which is the mental 'impressing people' attribute, and (along with dwarves, goblins, hob-goblins, kobolds, trolls, troglodytes and changelings) only roll two dice for PB, which is the physical 'impressing people' attribute. Basically, the book says that orcs, 'being slow-witted', are impressed by ogres' 'size, strength and stamina', which works to an extent (orcs are of below-average intelligence, ogres are taller and heavier than orcs and roll more dice for physical endurance) but ogres are literally less impressive than orcs both physically and mentally.

Last edited:

Erik Sieurin

Translemurist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
ME isn't described in that way: it's pretty much a mental counterpart to PE, which is basically the same as AD&D's constitution stat. Besides, ogres (along with elves, dwarves, trolls and wolfen) only roll two dice for MA, which is the 'impressing people' attribute (along with PB).
Huh. So what does measure your ability to withstand peer pressure etc in Palladium? I'd think it was something like "willpower" which is how would I would classify "mental constitution". And what part of your personality is affected by 2d6 ME, an average of 7?

Spikey

Validated User
Huh. So what does measure your ability to withstand peer pressure etc in Palladium? I'd think it was something like "willpower" which is how would I would classify "mental constitution". And what part of your personality is affected by 2d6 ME, an average of 7?
It's debatable, obviously, but the description of ME in the front of the book says it 'indicates how much mental and emotional stress the character can withstand' and the bonuses from exceptional ME are to save against psionic attacks and insanity. The warlock and mind mage classes have ME requirements. The air warlock spell 'Clap of Thunder' makes characters with low ME nervous. A character's ISP score (the pool of points spent to use psionic powers) is based on their ME score. Characters with low ME cannot save against 'Limited Telepathy' or 'Extended Telepathy' and ME score determines how quickly memories are regained after a psionic 'Mind Wipe'. Summoned creatures have to roll over the summoner's ME in a 'battle of wills', which does support the 'willpower' idea, but I think, on the whole, it's more like 'mental stability'.

And nothing measures your ability to withstand 'peer pressure etc' in Palladium: for one thing, it's partly written as an old-school player-skill-based game. The following paragraph from p16 is headed 'OCC and skills':

Many systems have provisions for such skills as street sense, diplomacy, bribery, gambling, haggling, and so on. While these skills do indeed seem appropriate I feel that their inclusion eliminates the players' freedom to role play. I feel that such skills actually reduces the degree of role-playing and restricts the imagination. A player with skills like those mentioned above will tend to rely on his rolled statistics ("oh, he has to believe my character because his diplomacy skill is 80%"). Instead I would like to see a player actually concoct some wild, but convincing yarn or scheme that creates and promotes real interaction between characters. If a character wants to haggle on the price of a sword then let him. The name of the game is role-playing. The more you put into it the more you will get in return.
For another thing, the bonuses given for exceptional MA and PB respectively are percentage chances to 'invoke' trust or to intimidate (for MA) and to charm or to impress (for PB). None of the target's stats is involved in those chances: they're based purely on the stats of the character doing the 'peer pressure etc.'

Last edited:

Erik Sieurin

Translemurist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ah, OK. Since people tend to say that it's still useful to roll stats even if everything below 16 is the same, because "you can use them as a guide for roleplaying", it's good to know what that means. (I have some issues with exactly that paragraph, but not many)

Top Bottom