• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] Zweihander Grim & Perilous RPG Revised Core Rulebook

Ministry of Truth

Validated User
Second session was earlier today. There were two combats, or more accurately, one and an ambush.

Combat, in my opinion, was nice. Flowed smoothly. It went a bit slowly because we are still feeling our way around the system. And this dovetails directly into your point about Weapon Qualities.

There are 24 Weapon Qualities. Each confers some variation on the weapon's effects. Some are relatively minor, some are more consequential. So, when you have a weapon, you need to be familiar with its Qualities (and many weapons have two or three) and what they mean, as does the GM. Zweihander's balance really comes into play here, and when a Weapon has an advantage in one area, it will usually have a disadvantage in another. Understanding how these Qualities work, not only separately, but in combination, is key to "getting" Zweihander's Combat system. This, coupled with the Action Point system, leads to a style of play that encourages a certain tactical depth without being overly complicated. For me, it's just about right. There is a bit of a learning curve, as my group and I are still internalizing the Qualities, but my group likes it, and so do I. And this is a group coming from Labyrinth Lord. YMMV, as always.

I would agree that it's doesn't seem very "flashy" or "swingy" on its surface, but it worked at our table. The Qualities did give each weapon a different "feel" and in-game utility.

In short, I liked it, it seemed to flow very well, and I think it'll get much faster as we stop having to look up what the various Qualities do.
Thanks for specifically addressing your in-game experience with Zweilander combat.

It sounds like it would be something I like, just in terms of keeping crunch and flash at a manageable level.

Broda

Validated User
Thanks for specifically addressing your in-game experience with Zweilander combat.

It sounds like it would be something I like, just in terms of keeping crunch and flash at a manageable level.
Zweihänder does that, and well. It also allows for "out of the ordinary" results that seem to occur with just the right frequency to not swing things too far in any direction (i.e., too heroic or too hopeless), if that makes sense. In Zweihänder, I always feel like the characters have a chance. A fighting chance, but a chance just the same.

Last edited:

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
The only issue I have with magic is that I wished there was a chance of chaos mishap even without pushing for a bonus to casting. Sure that makes spells less likely to be successful, but I would prefer there always to be a risk even if it’s a small chance.

Broda

Validated User
The only issue I have with magic is that I wished there was a chance of chaos mishap even without pushing for a bonus to casting. Sure that makes spells less likely to be successful, but I would prefer there always to be a risk even if it’s a small chance.

I'm assuming you mean above and beyond the baked in (non,-Chaos) penalties for Critical Spell Failure

furashg

Validated User
Great thread, yet it doesn't answer the question "How can we get them to produce a concise Zweihander essentials"?

MistahJ

Validated User
Excellent thread. Bookmarked/Subscribed. A long time ago I got a pdf of Zweihander and was rather daunted by trying to learn it. This thread's making it a lot more approachable.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
Great thread, yet it doesn't answer the question "How can we get them to produce a concise Zweihander essentials"?
That’s a tricky one as the core rules chapter are already short and concise. All you would end up doing is removing ancestries, careers, monsters and talents from the available pool and find that the rules in play would be the same complexity.

Broda

Validated User
Excellent thread. Bookmarked/Subscribed. A long time ago I got a pdf of Zweihander and was rather daunted by trying to learn it. This thread's making it a lot more approachable.
Glad to hear it. Once you realize that the rules are small, but the options are big, it becomes less scary.

I do t know anything, nor am I affiliated with the publisher or author, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of starter set eventually.

Top Bottom