• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] Zweihander Grim & Perilous RPG Revised Core Rulebook

furashg

Validated User
I'm very happy with my purchase. I still wish there was a way to represent NPC in a simpler way

smarttman

I do some stuff
Validated User
I do t know anything, nor am I affiliated with the publisher or author, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some kind of starter set eventually.
We are currently working on a Player's Guide of a sort that'll help that out. It'll at least concentrate the actually fairly basic player's rules in a less-imposing format

furashg

Validated User
All I was getting at was that it has a particular writing style, but I would also buy a tight, concise dry rules reference in Pelgrane-press style formatting for use at the table and while I'm doing prep. Something with high information density and easy to reference. This isn't a criticism of the current book

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
I hear you on NPCs. The stat blocks are large. I like how they repeat all the trait info though.

Broda

Validated User
Yeah, I'm personally not a fan of monsters/NPCs needing the same statblocks as PCs. Not if chargen takes any amount of time.

furashg

Validated User
Even the simplified method they put in Main Gauche takes a long time. I'm sure someone w/ good math skills and understanding of the game could come up with a way to represent non-PC's easily.

Broda

Validated User
Even the simplified method they put in Main Gauche takes a long time. I'm sure someone w/ good math skills and understanding of the game could come up with a way to represent non-PC's easily.
I have not yet seen Main Gauche. I suspect that when I run self-written adventures for Zweihänder, I will just use the NPCs from the Bestiary in the core book, or from other adventures, and tweak them.

One of my favorite games is the original Prime Directive. It's rules are deceptively simple, but it's chargen is LABORIOUS. At first glance, I wondered why the rulebook had stats for so many NPCs (there are a ton). But once I started making my own character, I knew.

bleys21

Validated User
Finally got the physical book Friday. And in my head, I thought "a 700 page book is going to be big" but that doesn't really do this book justice. Its enormous. Bigger than all of the college textbooks I've had to purchase for two kids in college. But similar to those textbooks, its put together really well, and doesn't seem like its going to fall apart or anything. I like that it lays flat too, pretty much no matter what page you're on.

Anyway, carry on, looking forward to the rest of it, as you have time, and I'll start following in your wake...

Broda

Validated User
Finally got the physical book Friday. And in my head, I thought "a 700 page book is going to be big" but that doesn't really do this book justice. Its enormous. Bigger than all of the college textbooks I've had to purchase for two kids in college. But similar to those textbooks, its put together really well, and doesn't seem like its going to fall apart or anything. I like that it lays flat too, pretty much no matter what page you're on.

Anyway, carry on, looking forward to the rest of it, as you have time, and I'll start following in your wake...
I'm gonna try to cover a little bit more of Chapter 10 tonight.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
I have not yet seen Main Gauche. I suspect that when I run self-written adventures for Zweihänder, I will just use the NPCs from the Bestiary in the core book, or from other adventures, and tweak them.
I just reskin the existing stat blocks from the bestiary. Given the bestiary is massive, the lack of NPC shorthand is an inconvenience but not a game breaker for me.

Top Bottom