• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Let's talk brushes

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Any tips for avoiding paint drying on the brush? That seems to be how I kill most of mine. Should I regularly redip it in water, dry it on kitchen towel and then go back to the palette?
I think what Arethusa wrote in post #10 will help you. Or you can just use a rule of thumb like me and regularly swirl it around in the water pot.

One thing that will help too is a wet palette. Keeps the paint from drying so fast, so will keep moister on the brush.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Cool, thanks guys. I don't often go into art supply stores, and when I do it's for something specific (like a new brush) rather than browsing.
Whereas for me it's like going into a candy store...

Ogrob

Validated User
To continue the metallics discussion: for water based (like Scale 75), separate pot of water and synthetic brushes only. You will see how the water goes sparkly very quickly from rinsing brushes.

For alcohol based metallics, like Vallejo liquid gold, I got the advice to thin and clean them with isopropyl alcohol. I use a separate palette for this, and again synthetic brushes only. The isopropyl evaporates very quickly, so if you splash a little on the palette and then clean your brush, you don't need to worry about storing alcohol. Ventilation is good though ;)

My brush routine is clean thoroughly in water, shape to a point with some saliva and store flat. I'm a bit lazy, so my brushes die a little faster but a good kolinsky still lasts for a long time with that simple care.

For natural hair brushes, remember they are natural hair. If something is bad for your hair or your skin, it is bad for your brushes. You wouldn't rub metallic flakes on your scalp or wash your hands with just alcohol, so don't do it to your kolinsky ;)

durecellrabbit

Validated User
So I have a brush question, what do you do with a hair that sticks out of the brush's point?

Leaving mean dealing with paint out of sync with the rest of a brush stroke. I've tried cutting the bit that stick out off with a hobby knife but that has tended to break the brush's point. I really want to know the right way to deal with it.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So I have a brush question, what do you do with a hair that sticks out of the brush's point?

Leaving mean dealing with paint out of sync with the rest of a brush stroke. I've tried cutting the bit that stick out off with a hobby knife but that has tended to break the brush's point. I really want to know the right way to deal with it.
Use tweezers to tease out the offending hair, trace it down to where it meets the ferrule, and cut it off near there.

Don't pluck out the hair, as it will loosen the remaining hairs and hasten the disintegration of the brush.

Top Bottom