Let's talk brushes

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Use tweezers to tease out the offending hair, trace it down to where it meets the ferrule, and cut it off near there.

Don't pluck out the hair, as it will loosen the remaining hairs and hasten the disintegration of the brush.
Arethusa, is there a purpose in mini painting for anything but the round? I've seen other shapes like the flat, or the angled or cats-tongue. Just wondering if these can be used to improve on anything?

durecellrabbit

Validated User
Use tweezers to tease out the offending hair, trace it down to where it meets the ferrule, and cut it off near there.

Don't pluck out the hair, as it will loosen the remaining hairs and hasten the disintegration of the brush.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Arethusa, is there a purpose in mini painting for anything but the round? I've seen other shapes like the flat, or the angled or cats-tongue. Just wondering if these can be used to improve on anything?
I use cats-tongues to get some of my basecoat colours done faster and for drybrushing. I also have some other different flat shapes for drybrushing.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
{As a piece of history trivia, until relatively recently all artists brushes were round. Most of the other shapes seem to date to no earlier than the late nineteenth century. (I haven’t been able to trace the history of flat housepainting-style brushes.)}

I don’t think most other brush shapes offer much on the scale of miniatures. Once you get that small the shape difference is negligible between a round, a filbert, and a bright. And rounds are pretty good for the job.

I do use a few flats, on the order of roughly 1 cm width, to stipple large areas on bases, mostly.

Asmodai

Warrior Kobold
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I use a large flat brush (around 1.5-2cm) for doing the sides of 40K tanks. It saves time and seems to leave fewer brush-marks than round brushes or similar size.

Top Bottom