Let's talk through recommendations for the Evil Hat clearance sale - anything unsold will be pulped in November.

mrlost

Hi I'm Lost
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I ordered a second copy of Atomic Robo, since I got the first copy signed by Mike Olsen and Scott Wegener who I managed to find one year at SDCCI. Now I'll finally have a copy I'll feel comfortable leaving the house with + the pdf.

The Unshaven

Validated User
Thanks! I like the post-apocalyptic (or maybe just apocalyptic?) fantasy flavor, and the morally ambivalent gods. My son might not love the muppets in chainmail idea (he's a 9-year old boy in the US, and going through a phase where he's allergic to anything remotely "cute," despite my best efforts to undermine that gender stereotype), but he likes miniatures and battle maps. Regardless, it sounds like even if I don't get around to playing it (or can't entice my son to play with me), it'll have plenty of material for inspiration. From your description, it sounds like it checks enough of my boxes in terms of setting and theme that it'll probably be worth it, even just for the read. I guess I won't be able to chip away at my cart total, and I'll just have to suck it up and scrimp somewhere else.

Of course, even though I'm already pretty much sold, if anyone else wants to try to sell me on it, I'd still love to hear what you have to say.
The setting is... impressively grim. Impressively. Grim.

It's a problem that's not of anyone in particular's making - there's no Sauron here - but it's a significant enough world-spanning disaster that the knock-on consequences could erase the civilisations as we know them. The fact that there's no Sauron makes things worse, because it's not a problem that can be as concretely defeated as finding a way to thwart/destroy a dark lord.

In effect: massive climate change is driving the world into an ice age, and there are a wide variety of potential reasons why. None of the reasons MATTER so much as what the effect is, which is that less and less of the world's land-masses are habitable, driving different otherwise-POTENTIALLY-reasonable factions (who are not necessarily given to being particularly reasonable) to be very UNREASONABLE because their survival hangs on being the ones occupying that space.

At the same time, the cold is driving an army of all-consuming fiends down out of the north who are more resistant to the cold than average... but not enough to just STAY there.

Basically take some of the broad sweep of Game of Thrones' "winter is coming," add a dash of Ragnarok complete with actual gods, and have the entire cast (including the gods) be muppets - with all of the emotional stability and good sense that suggests.

seanairt

Validated User
I might have said it before in this thread, or maybe I just imagined that I did. While I'm sure the miniatures rules are a draw for some people, they don't even factor into the game for me, because I don't use minis. Even given this, the War of Ashes book is a grossly under-appreciated gem of a game. It's good, all on it's own. And if you have the means and the merest hint of interest in it, then do yourself a favor and pick it up. I picked it up entirely on a whim, and was shocked to find a beautiful, high quality fantasy Fate build that nobody's talking about.

Corvinity

Validated User
Well, I just pulled the trigger, and these were the contents of my cart:
Aether Sea (because $2, so why not?)
Do: Fate of the Flying Temple (because I love Avatar: The Last Airbender and I often game with at least one kid, sometimes several)
Don't Read This Book (because I love off-the-wall horror, and also $2. If it hooks me, I'll get the PDF of Don't Rest Your Head)
Fate Worlds: Worlds Take Flight (mainly for Gods and Monsters, but the rest of them look pretty cool too)
War of Ashes: Fate of Agaptus (because read the last few posts on this thread).

That's a splurge for me, but, even with shipping, it's still less than the cost of a single D&D book. A pretty good deal, I have to say.

devlin1

Human Paraquat
Validated User
I ordered a second copy of Atomic Robo, since I got the first copy signed by Mike Olsen and Scott Wegener who I managed to find one year at SDCCI.
OMG, PK, you've been hoodwinked by an impostor! What'd he charge for the signature? Fifty bucks? A hundred? Next time I see you I'll sign it for twenty. Friend discount!

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I feel weird. I've never heard of *any* of this stuff.

How did I miss a whole chunk of the RPG industry?

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I legitimately don't know. Fate products have been pretty big for years.
Ah. That'd be why! I've never touched the Fate system so I don't know any of the spinoffs.

BUT!

Pulp stuff? Sky pirates? Super-genius apes and talking dinosaurs? I can find room in the closet for this, even if I never play it.

Now I just wish I knew about the $79 free shipping before I finished my order. Remember kid! Read the whole thread before posting!

JetstreamGW

Seeker
Validated User
Ah. That'd be why! I've never touched the Fate system so I don't know any of the spinoffs.

BUT!

Pulp stuff? Sky pirates? Super-genius apes and talking dinosaurs? I can find room in the closet for this, even if I never play it.

Now I just wish I knew about the $79 free shipping before I finished my order. Remember kid! Read the whole thread before posting!
Atomic Robo is the best and it’s criminal that it didn’t sell out every time.

RadioKen

mailed a second mongoose
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And everything's here! (priority mail because I ordered Zeppelin Attack and they couldn't ship it book rate) Can't wait to sit down and give it a solid look.

Top Bottom