• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Watch] everymanHYBRID

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
Hello Other Media! You'd probably like to know what this thread is all about. I'll clarify for you.

1) What is everymanHYBRID?

It's a web-original series organized as a chaotic fiction / alternate reality game. Three "everyman" college guys decide to make an amateur fitness/health video series and post it on YouTube, but along the way it seems they attract the attention of the Slender Man, a frightening supernatural force. They enlist the help of their viewers on the Internet (that is, US) to help them figure out just what's going on.

2) The production values seem kinda low.

They are. This is an amateur production with next to no budget. At the beginning I think they were shooting on a Flip and editing with Microsoft Movie Maker (!). Things do get better, production-wise, but it's always going to be a bunch of amateur college friends puttin' on a show. They manage to make some scary shit even so!

3) Is this a "Where I Watch" thread?

No, it's a "Let's Watch" thread! All of the relevant media will be embedded here when possible and linked from here when not, so it won't just be me watching the series - we'll all ideally be watching it together and discussing, pointing out clues, speculating, and criticizing as we go. Your participation will help make the thread fun and cool, so please join in!

4) Can I take part if I've already watched some or all of EMH?

Absolutely! I just ask that we all do our best to limit spoiling folks on stuff that has not yet been posted or linked in this thread. I'll try to maintain a good pace so it's not too onerous to wait to expound on your favorite theory.

5) Do I need to have watched anything else?

If you've seen some or all of Marble Hornets, you'll catch on to what's going on quickly - and MH is totally worth watching anyway. Not necessary, though. If you want, go check out the wikipedia article on the Slender Man, but stop reading before you get to the "Mythos" section, which contains story spoilers for EMH.

6) How often will stuff be posted? I don't have as much time to participate as I'd like.

I'm going to start pretty aggressively and get the introduction and first five actual episodes up ASAP - I have a reason for doing so. Once that's done, I plan to post one or two episodes at a time, with at least a day between each posting. I'll vary the pace based on how much discussion and/or excitement we get going, and I'm happy to take your input about any of this.

7) What does EMH involve besides YouTube videos?

There's the main everymanHYBRID YouTube channel, plus later the WickedStickyAlex channel and several one-off videos from other channels. There's also the EMH twitter account (and later, a couple other twitter accounts) - important tweets will be reposted here in the thread. There are several archived live video streams that I don't think I can embed; if I'm right I will link them from here (and summarize them, since a couple are pretty long). There's one tumblr blog that I believe I'll have to just link to. Twitpics, and other random images, text files, and videos will be embedded, linked, or reproduced here as needed. This is an ARG, so multiple channels and media are pretty standard stuff.

8) You suck at anticipating my questions!

If you want to know anything else, just ask. :p

Okay then! Hit your "subscribe" button. Put on your glasses. Rev up your conspiracy theory synapses. Go pee *before* you start watching. For best effect watch alone, at night, in a dark house.

Let's watch!

Topher

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
All right, let's get started!

March 21, 2010
everymanHYBRID #1: Introduction

[video=youtube;JS7GZhNb7eM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS7GZhNb7eM[/video]

Followed by the first EMH tweet: "We've finally launched the intro video! Tell us what you think. We're still getting the hang of the editing tools so bare with us#nowplaying"

Pretty straightforward stuff. We meet our host, Vinnie, the "nutrition expert" Evan (and the first appearance of his trademark knife fetish), and cameraman/editor Jeff.

Stuff to note: Creepy trees? In the intro to a fitness series? >_> Also note the appearance of an "unintended" clip at the end, with audio distortion. From this point on, keep your eyes wide open, as things are going to get a bit "Where's Waldo."

Topher

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
March 26, 2010
everymanHYBRID #2 - The Night Jog

[video=youtube;kLPGbpuUnlA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLPGbpuUnlA[/video]

The first actual episode. Those of you who are at all into personal fitness will quickly realize that these guys have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to personal fitness. :D Check out Evan on his yoga mat...in jeans and a sweater. *facepalm* It's also a bit disappointing that we don't actually get to see much of the "night jog" that is ostensibly the focus of the episode!

Check out the right side of the road at around 1:23, when there's a bit of audio static. Also keep an eye on that glass door Evan is stretching in front of.

Evan's little flex-dance move is perhaps worth the price of admission by itself. But then I'm admittedly a bit of an Evan fanboy. :eek:

ANYWAY. The following day, March 27, we get another tweet: "Just uploaded our second video! We want your feedback, HYBRIDS! http://tinyurl.com/yknutvl #FF #Health #Fitness"

Topher

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
Just as a note, starting with this next video we no longer have to put up with that corny "opening credits" sequence. ;)

April 5, 2010
Episode #3: Dreams & Eating

[video=youtube;hX2yT-hEF28]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX2yT-hEF28[/video]

The YouTube post is quickly followed up by a couple of tweets on the same day:

"Dreams & Eating: How does it affect you, HYBRIDS? http://bit.ly/cEaFtw Check it out, tell us what you think! #Health #Fitness #Dreams"

"Sorry for the delay this week, HYBRIDS - our guy Evan seemed to be getting over a small ailment. No worries now, you saw him, he's okay! :D"

Aside from two instances of audio static, there are no "special appearances" in this one - although some people claim they can see a tall dark figure waaaay at the end of the aisle behind Evan just before the bit with the mouse toy. Vinnie's description of his dream, though, and especially Evan's reaction to it, fit right into the SM mythos. As does mention of Evan being sick - wonder if he had a cough?

Eagle-eyed viewers may have noticed that every time we see Vinnie's artist's mannequin, its position has slightly changed (its arms are moving downward). ^_^

Topher

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
April 7, 2010

A new tweet: "New episode: upper body, a light outage, and a bad Arnold impersonation? Heck yes, HYBRIDS! http://bit.ly/cH7rp9"

There seem to be some issues with the video, though, and it's quickly deleted for a few days. When the channel is next updated, it's been replaced by a different topic. The "upper body and light outage" episode will turn up later, despite having been shot first. We can theorize about reasons for this when we talk about Episode 5. But meanwhile...

April 11, 2010

Another tweet: "Some minor technical difficulties but fun nonetheless! Enjoy, HYBRIDS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHHg7VExr9I #Health #Fitness #Free"

Episode #4: Cardio & Outdoor Activities
[video=youtube;xHHg7VExr9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHHg7VExr9I[/video]

This is the one that typically makes viewers go "wait a minute, seriously?" :D

* The thing Evan is playing with when we seem him sitting on the rock gets explained at the end of the video.
* Check out the end of the path when Vince is jogging backwards, near the pole.
* Same pole, with Vinnie and Evan. Audio distortion, and Evan is leaning on someone behind the pole, for gods' sake!
* Watch the door behind Vinnie in the exercise room, the whole damned time.
* We can all throw our hands up in the air and yell "No, really?" as a group during the car-pushing segment.

The doll is a pretty blatant Marble Hornets homage.

If Vince and Evan are pushing the car and Jeff is steering it, who's taking the video? For times like this they have a backup cameraman, their friend Paul (who we have not yet seen on-camera to date).

If this one seemed especially over-the-top with all the Slender Man stuff...well, keep watching.

Topher

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
Oh, man. I'm not sure how they kept up a straight face during "car pushing".
I know, right?

April 20, 2010

The guys tweet about an upcoming episode that for whatever reason never actually gets made: "Whats up Hybrids, its your friendly neighborhood Everyman! this week we'll be coming at you from Dorm rooms to give tips on fit college life"

April 26, 2010

Perhaps because the dorm episode fell through, the crew seemingly has to fall back on reposting the episode they pulled earlier: "Ah, the technical minutia has been worked out - now let's work on those arms! http://bit.ly/9aMvh1 #Cheap #Free #Health #Fitness #Exercise"

Episode #5: Upper Body and Arms
[video=youtube;jo6zNgn6730]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo6zNgn6730[/video]

Pay attention to the back window of the basement at about 1:55, and you'll see a certain someone walk past - and then suddenly reappear, just before the lights go out. ^_^

Starting from about 2:55 a shadowy presence can be seen in the back corner. Personally I think it's kind of significant that up until now, every appearance of the Slender Man has been completely ignored by the guys - even blatant ones like the car pushing or up-close ones like the pole. So I find Evan's reactions in the latter part of this video pretty interesting. My suspicion is that in this last part, we're seeing why the guys originally decided to pull this video.

Line of the episode has got to be Vince: "You know what happened, my muscles exploded and blew out the power."

Topher

Pyrephox

Sheepish
Validated User
This is awesome. Thank you for doing this thread. I love these horror web shows, but rarely have a chance to see other people's take on them.

The pole was really gratuitous, I have to admit. The 'car pushing' doesn't bother me so much, because if you're focused on what you're filming, I can see not paying much attention to the background. But the pole? That's just /bizarre/.

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
This is awesome. Thank you for doing this thread. I love these horror web shows, but rarely have a chance to see other people's take on them.
I'm interested in your take, too, so feel free to participate! That goes for all you folks, I see the view-count going up so I know you're out there. :cool:

The pole was really gratuitous, I have to admit. The 'car pushing' doesn't bother me so much, because if you're focused on what you're filming, I can see not paying much attention to the background. But the pole? That's just /bizarre/.
:D Episode 6 makes things retroactively make much more sense.

Speaking of. We're now at the point where the next two videos - which I really need to post together - give us a WHAM! game-changer and, from a certain perspective, kick off the "real" series. My question is, do I post those tonight and then stop for discussion until tomorrow night, or do I go ahead and stop here and post the WHAM stuff tomorrow? I'm leaning toward posting 'em tonight if only because I think they add a ton of conversation fodder, and the "introductory" set doesn't lend itself to as much discussion...but I'm interested in your feedback.

Topher

Pyrephox

Sheepish
Validated User
Speaking of. We're now at the point where the next two videos - which I really need to post together - give us a WHAM! game-changer and, from a certain perspective, kick off the "real" series. My question is, do I post those tonight and then stop for discussion until tomorrow night, or do I go ahead and stop here and post the WHAM stuff tomorrow? I'm leaning toward posting 'em tonight if only because I think they add a ton of conversation fodder, and the "introductory" set doesn't lend itself to as much discussion...but I'm interested in your feedback.

Topher
My insomnia votes now now now! ...my desire not to have exceedingly strange dreams tonight votes 'perhaps tom...no, now now now!' But then, it's used to being tortured late at night. One night, I mainlined Dionae House for the first time. And then I turned off my light to go to bed. You see, at the time, I had my bedroom in FROG, which was also the attic access. My grandfather had been up in the attic earlier that day, and had left the light on. But in the daylight, and when /my/ light is on, you didn't notice. But when I turned off the light for the night?

The door was open. (Or, rather, the door was glowing, which was not a distinction I was capable of making at that moment.)

Top Bottom