• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Watch!] TribeTwelve

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
With this thread, Other Media will have covered all of the "Big Three" Slender Man Mythos video series (check out the other two threads! Marble Hornets and everymanHYBRID).

TribeTwelve was actually the second series to be created, as far as I know, and started out as very much a ripoffhomage to Marble Hornets. Luckily it found its own voice fairly rapidly and by the time of "Night Recording" and especially "My Grandfather Karl" it starts blazing its own trail. The series is well-known for its innovative special effects - some of the best out there in Slendervlogland - and for its use of the carpet f-bomb tactic (seriously, Noah cusses like a sailor - don't watch these at work). Also for stabbing bushes. But we'll get to that.

This series is less of an ARG than, say, EMH, with less communication channels. There's basically the YouTube account, the Twitter account, and a Formspring. I loathe formspring because it sucks for archive binging; most of the time Noah just uses it to be an ass to people, so I will likely ignore it except for the occasions when it's important (at which point I will quote and/or summarize).

So let's start out with the Twitter of one Noah Maxwell, college student living in his family's summer home in Florida...

May 18, 2010

"My twitter account has officially been created."
"Started working on my final project for Mrs. Thomas's class on the Twelve Tribes of Israel. I'm new to this tweeting thing, so bear with me."
"Procrastination will be the end of me."

May 19, 2010

"I am done studying for the night. Staying up later than 3am to work on reports always makes makes me light headed. Sleep beckons me."
"I can't beleive it, I'm really confident about this video report. I have a feeling that I might actually get an A+ for once."

May 21, 2010

"Mrs. Thomas just canceled the project. I was almost done and actually tried hard for once. I even made a YouTube account for it. Oh well."

June 2, 2010

"I just learned that my cousin, Milo, has died and no one knows how or why yet. I'm in shock, we were such good friends. I feel terrible..."

June 5, 2010

"I'm uploading a memorial video to my YouTube channel and will be posting video of Milo from 2008 in the coming days. Rest in peace, Milo."
"The video is up."

Introduction - In Memory of Milo Asher
[video=youtube;aBpDRPlPR4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBpDRPlPR4I[/video]
In Memory of Milo Asher.
1988 - 2010
Edit: Milo was actually born in 1988, not 1990. Just rectified it.

* Okay, so right off the bat I think there was some indecision about how old the characters were going to be. Milo referring to his "teacher" rather than "professor" and as "Mrs." so-and-so, followed by the revision of Milo's age to make them two years older, leads me to conclude the series was originally going to be about high school students and was then revised at the last minute to put Noah in college.
* Nicely moody, atmospheric footage for the first episode.

Hope you guys enjoy this one. Won't be as long or byzantine as the EMH thread, I promise!

Topher

prankster_dragon

Something Terrible
Validated User
Lets face it, few things in the slenderverse are as byzantine as emH ended up (Caughtnotsleeping possibly being one of them). T12, for the record, does have one of my favourite "episodes" of any slender series.

Let's do this.

Edit: Oh, and I have a response for one video lined up already.

Last edited:

Wolfwood2

Validated User
Looking forward to this. Right off the bat you have to ask, how come the first post of the 'memorial' video for Milo contained exactly zero footage of Milo besides a still picture?

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ah, this ought to be good. The SFX of T12 really set it apart from the others, and I appreciate the fact that you can follow it without having to jump around to a dozen sites.

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
June 7, 2010

I'm not going to quote the tweets where Noah basically says "hey, I just uploaded a video." Instead let's just get right to the videos.

Submission #1
[video=youtube;nuXVXJqo0Ks]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuXVXJqo0Ks[/video]
Milo was acting kind of weird.

* This series wastes no time. Right off the bat we have audio and video distortion, Milo freaking out at a camera, and Milo with a cough (which he's apparently had since he was a kid). Even the title "Submission #1" is screaming "I am a Marble Hornets expy." Bear with me through these early ones.

Submission #2
[video=youtube;9zm-fe1FH3o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zm-fe1FH3o[/video]
Milo was behaving more paranoid than usual.

* Gosh, it sure is boring out here where nothing ever happens and it's just kind of dull.
* O HAI operator symbols. "Look Behind U" indeed.
* The boardwalk and the observation tower at Victor Park will be very important recurring locations. Definitely both beautiful and creepy.
* And we have our first Thin Guy appearance.

June 8, 2010

Submission #3
[video=youtube;mY4J4r_vIXg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY4J4r_vIXg[/video]
This footage of Milo is getting more and more disturbing.

* Pills here!
* Another blink-and-you'll-miss-it Where's Waldo moment. We're still feeling very MH-esque at this point.

June 9, 2010

Noah tweets: "I didn't sleep last night. I'm still thinking over the footage I posted in Submission #3."

Toph

Anaguma

Social Justice Fishwife
Validated User
S'funny, TT was the first SlenderMan ARG i started watching, but then dropped it after a few episodes...i guess i didn't get it at the time. It wasn't until i got hooked on Aliasi's MarbleHornets thread that i wanted to go back to it...so thanks for starting this one up! :)

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
June 9, 2010

Submission #4
[video=youtube;R9a1AHnb-Cs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9a1AHnb-Cs[/video]
I should have kept in touch with Milo.

* The nature trail at Victor Park will also be an important location.
* First mention of the "dead kid" that the park was intended to memorialize.

June 10, 2010

Noah tweets: "I have a massive headache tonight. I'll continue viewing the tape tomorrow. To my memory, there isn't much footage of Milo's visit left."

June 11, 2010

Noah tweets: "I slept in, but I'm feeling much better."

Submission #5
[video=youtube;L907S9x4-I8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L907S9x4-I8[/video]
This tape is almost finished.

* The A/C unit kicking on is a classic jump scare. I would love it if that was a happy accident. :)
* Milo's obviously scribbling an operator symbol in his journal. He also seems determined to keep Noah out of any slendershenanigans, which is nice (if rather futile).

June 14, 2010

Noah tweets: "I'm uploading the last bit of footage on the tape in Submission #6 tonight. I am very confused about all this."

Submission #6
[video=youtube;uhB93k-egnk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhB93k-egnk[/video]
This is the last footage on the tape.

* The Alabama reference is probably a nod to Marble Hornets (which feels a little silly to point out since the entirety of the series to this point is a nod to Marble Hornets).
* Time/space shenanigans!
* Goodbye, Milo. We hardly got to know you.

June 17, 2010

Noah tweets: "Going to Miami for the weekend to clear my head. What I'm finding in the footage is hard to believe. I'm seeing new things on the tape."

Tape Analysis
[video=youtube;od-z7tJENho]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od-z7tJENho[/video]
A brief analysis of the tape. I am very confused and afraid.

* It's a bit early for a clip episode, but...
* ...in case you missed them, here's a list of all the Where's Waldo moments we've had so far!
* This is the last pure-homage episode. Starting with the next one, we begin to transition into something more unique.

Topher

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
Next up are a bunch of tweets.

June 25, 2010

"I have not been able to sleep well for several days. The fact that I have to question the validity of Milo's paranoia is making ME paranoid."

July 1, 2010

"I've been called upon to attend Milo's funeral in New York. His family has a burial plot there. I'm catching a plane tomorrow."

July 3, 2010

"My flight was delayed due to some technical difficulties, then canceled. Taking the July 3rd flight instead. The funeral is on the 5th."
"Boarding my flight now. I'll be in New York in a few hours."
"Just arrived at La Guardia. Had a good ride. It was a bit turbulent at times though."
"@DraveShift I brought my camera."

July 6, 2010

"Went to the funeral and then to saw my grandfather, Karl. Had a very odd day. A video will be posted soon. I need to get back home."

July 7, 2010

"I'm flying back to Florida Friday evening. New video will be posted during the weekend. Sorry about the typo on the last tweet, I was tired."

July 11, 2010

"New video will be posted tonight."
"YouTube is being very cranky on my end. if I can't upload this video tonight, I'll try again first thing tomorrow. I’m exhausted."

July 12, 2010

"I'm attempting to upload this video again, my internet connection hasn't been functioning properly."
"Sorry for the delay, I called up my cable provider and got things cleared up."

Milo's Funeral
[video=youtube;QJ-rFDuZoRU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ-rFDuZoRU[/video]
I hope he's at peace now...

* Not much to say here, this is mostly exposition. The bit at the end is interesting, though. Noah seems to be very anxious to leave the cemetary.

July 13, 2010

"New video will be up tomorrow if my internet connection holds out. It involves my grandfather, I'm having a friend translate what he said."

July 14, 2010

My Grandfather Karl
[video=youtube;GobkLd9_HXE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GobkLd9_HXE[/video]
I have more questions than answers.

* This is the episode where T12 really started to blossom, just because it's so very NOT MH-esque.
* "Der Großmann" and the connection to the Schwarzwald - and pretty much the entirety of Karl's story - are references back to the original Something Awful thread where the Slender Man was created, but elements that most other vlogs don't do much with.
* Tentacles! This is another area where T12 uses an element of the original mythos that others often ignore (for practical reasons - tentacle effects are hard).
* If you're confused about Karl referring to Milo as Noah's "friend," this may clear things up: Karl is Noah's dad's father. Milo was Noah's mom's sister's son. No real reason for Karl to know who Milo was.
* This may seem like a throwaway infodump episode, but Karl and his history are going to continue to be important in the series.

Topher

prankster_dragon

Something Terrible
Validated User
Ah yes, Noah's decent into paranoia. I need to rewatch these but I seem to recall it isn't entirely obvious who Slendy is monitoring in the early videos. Milo clearly thinks it's him, but I'm pretty sure it can be read as either (or both).

Topher

RPGnet Member
Banned
Ah yes, Noah's decent into paranoia.
Speaking of...

July 20, 2010

"I can't walk around my house at night, it's nerve wracking."

July 25, 2010

"I literally have not had a comfortable night of sleep in weeks. I think about the tape every night. That guy in the suit. Insomnia."

July 31, 2010

"I didn't sleep at all tonight. I kept hearing noises around the house. I don't think it's the house settling, these sounded different."

August 2, 2010

"These noises are scaring the shit out of me. I'm filming tonight so I can try and catch what I'm hearing on tape. Posting my findings soon."

August 3, 2010

"Last night's footage was disappointing. None of the sounds in question were picked up, but I definitely heard them. I'll try again tonight."

August 5, 2010

"The camera finally picked up some audio during the night. Also found something outside. Video will be posted within the week, God willing."

August 9, 2010

Night Recording
[video=youtube;oxZJ_S2-fqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxZJ_S2-fqY[/video]
I don't feel safe in my own home anymore.

* As far as the initial noises go, it sounds like our tall friend needed a drink of water, and then later tripped over something in the dark on the way to the bathroom. When he made it back he became fascinated by the camera's lens cap and batted at it like a kitten. ^_^
* Then HOLY SHIT WHAT. After some distortion we're in an indoor swimming pool area during a thunderstorm.
* Back to Noah, and he's coughing. By the way, if you ever inadvertently find yourself starring in a Slender Man series, don't ever cough. People who cough are screwed.
* It's interesting that when the lights go out, the power has explicitly not gone out - the ceiling fan is still running.
* Noah's tiny little switchblade and desperate fronting amuse me.
* HARK! A BOX!
* At about 8:30 we get one of the series' most infamous scenes, as Noah ineffectively stabs a bush.

So what's in the box? A viewer asked Noah that on Twitter, and later that night he replied:

"@DraveShift Honestly, I've been way too afraid to open this box. It's been sitting in the corner of my room for days. I'll do it tonight."

Topher

Top Bottom