Cave Bear

Banned
In another discussion, on another forum, I was just reminded of a game of D&D 3.5 I played a while ago. I wanted my character to be bisexual because it just fit with the whole adrogynous glam-rock Bard thing he had going. The DM disallowed it "because of the setting". However, he was perfectly fine with the girls in the group going to the elven brothel for some "hot girl-on-elf-girl" action. Uh, yeah, right. Eck.

Anyway, I was just wondering how many people play sincerely gay/bisexual characters or use them as NPCs. I'm not talking about bisexual stripper-ninja elf babes, I'm talking about... I don't know, maybe like a Spartan-style Paladin avenging the death of his partner or something.
I'm not talking about cheap gags either, where stereotypes are exploited for humor, but just...
I dunno.

Gay characters in a fantasy setting (any system). Your experiences. Go!

*edit*

Additionally,

How many people actually incorporate homophobia and gay cultures into their stories and settings? What are your settings like in regards to same-sex relations?

Last edited:

asmkm22

Warder
Honestly, I don't think there's a need for even introducing sexuality in most RPG's. Why would you even bother stating your characters sexual preference? Is it such a significant part of who he/she is that you need to specify?

Voidnaut

Carcinogeneticist
Validated User
Honestly, I don't think there's a need for even introducing sexuality in most RPG's. Why would you even bother stating your characters sexual preference? Is it such a significant part of who he/she is that you need to specify?
Sexuality is not the same as explicit sexual content. The latter is, indeed, not appropriate for most RPGs -- I might even be so bold as to say any, that aren't being played by sex partners, in the bedroom. :) Sexuality, on the other hand, does indeed permeate many facets of life that people like to include in RPGs -- the most obvious of which is romance. If there's going to be a love interest for your character, their sexual preference does indeed matter.

-Voidnaut

Cave Bear

Banned
Scenario:

The beautiful princess has been captured by the evil dragon. You must rescue her.
Congratulations! You have defeated the evil dragon and rescued the princess!
The princess would like to marry you, sir knight.
"Oh, uh... Thanks, but no thanks."

That actually happened in a game I was in.

Anyway, what if a player actually does want their character's sexual orientation to be an important aspect of their character, and they actually have a good justification for it? I would allow it.
I mean, if you don't need to specify it then don't, but if you do, then do. You know?

Wolfgar

Validated User
Well, if I'm supposed to run any kind of romantic subplot, I like to know if the PC prefers girls or boys.

It's not the sort of thing that's important in all games, but it does have some significance. It's like say, a PC's family or job. In a dungeon crawl, it's probably not important. Otherwise, I think it matters.

Oblivious ignorant elf

And beware the dwarves
It's not the sort of thing that's important in all games, but it does have some significance. It's like say, a PC's family or job. In a dungeon crawl, it's probably not important. Otherwise, I think it matters.
Real munchkins are asexual to avoid both Incubi and Succubi special attacks.

Wolfgar

Validated User
And not to sound prejudiced, but I think transsexualism in any expression is going to be any important character trait.

Themiscyra

Amazon Princess
Validated User
Because if the game is going to involve any romance at all, it helps to know who the character is romantically attracted to, and a certain percentage of any population is likely to be romantically attracted to the same sex.

I would also argue that sexual orientation is not quite the same as sexual 'preference'. I agree that I have no need to know if the party's paladin is into bondage or roleplaying (...no, the other kind), but as a GM, certainly, it's useful for me to know if he'd be more interested in a furtive courtly romance with a lord as opposed to the favor of a lady. For instance.

Nelzie

Validated User
It's no big deal in my game world.

Sexuality isn't important enough of an issue to the people living in my game world to have that define and be everything that a person can be. If two men (or two women) love each other, that's no big deal to the people around them.

Top Bottom