• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Liminal RPG. Anyone know anything about it?

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
Yes, mechanically. There are no hard restrictions on the various supernatural types so it’s easy to build a power set however you like.

Settingwise, there are no slayers per se. There are hunters and bodyguards with supernatural abilities, most via a pan-religious organisation.
In addition, the tone is much more sombre. It's not something that couldn't be overridden by the group, of course, but there's little to Buffyverse that's specific to it except for the tone.

I mean, being a Slayer could just be considered a two-point trait and that's about it. (Or maybe three or four. Point being, adding slayers wouldn't exactly be hard.) You'd have to ignore or re-interpret most of the setting material in the book, though, due to tonal differences.

HumAnnoyd

Validated User
Honestly speaking, the Buffy The Vampire Slayer Roleplaying Game does Buffy the absolute best.

The game is regarded as one of the best examples of roleplaying games that succeeds so perfectly in simulating the subject matter that it's a masterpiece.
Angel is as good if not slightly better in my opinion. But I couldn't agree with this statement more. I have had a lot of fun playing Buffy/Angel and it really does capture the shows well.

Cargocultist

Validated User
I’m very excited about this game because I live in South London and want to run it at our club here. The one thing that I’m a bit perplexed about is that according to the quickstart book the Pax Londinium stipulates that no supernatural creatures are allowed south of the river, and I’d like to run a campaign in our area. Obviously I could ignore the canon, but I wonder if I should wait for the publication of Pax Londinium and see how to run a south London campaign respecting the setting.

Shan Andy

One man and his giraffe
Validated User
I’m very excited about this game because I live in South London and want to run it at our club here. The one thing that I’m a bit perplexed about is that according to the quickstart book the Pax Londinium stipulates that no supernatural creatures are allowed south of the river, and I’d like to run a campaign in our area. Obviously I could ignore the canon, but I wonder if I should wait for the publication of Pax Londinium and see how to run a south London campaign respecting the setting.
You could set something south of the river, but have it as a something in breach of the pax. Something that would cause major problems if word got out...

Cargocultist

Validated User
Yes, that’s a good idea. After all people or groups up to no good would find it easier to hide their operations in a place with less supernatural activity. Or it could be an ancient awakened force that cares nothing for the Pax. If I keep it small scale I could then fit it in the published canon.
Or it might be funny to have a group of P-Division misfit rookies just arrived from the Mine sent south of the river as a punishment, to investigate pet parrots that suddenly started speaking in Latin, ghost apparitions reported by drunks, and other minor cases like that - while their odious colleagues rub shoulders with the Council of Merlin in Mayfair clubs and get all the important cases.

Shan Andy

One man and his giraffe
Validated User
Yes, that’s a good idea. After all people or groups up to no good would find it easier to hide their operations in a place with less supernatural activity. Or it could be an ancient awakened force that cares nothing for the Pax. If I keep it small scale I could then fit it in the published canon.
Or it might be funny to have a group of P-Division misfit rookies just arrived from the Mine sent south of the river as a punishment, to investigate pet parrots that suddenly started speaking in Latin, ghost apparitions reported by drunks, and other minor cases like that - while their odious colleagues rub shoulders with the Council of Merlin in Mayfair clubs and get all the important cases.
Aye. And getting word out or keeping it quiet might be just the kind of thing a crew would get involved in.

HumAnnoyd

Validated User
Or maybe there is a more mysterious reason for the Pax keeping supernaturals out of south London. A confluence of tainted ley lines maybe, or a powerful spirit or an ancient and vengeful god who has slept beneath the city for a thousand years. Of course no one believes that but there are tales...

dr_mitch

Maths Sensei
Validated User
If you backed the Kickstarter, you can grab a text only "almost final" version of Pax Londinium under update 55. It will also be the first supplement coming out (not counting the Quickstart and the $1 case notes).

The Pax Londinium doesn't mean there's no supernatural activity south of the river, just that it has to be more subtle, as there are forces seeking to oppress it.

And in crossing the river, those who are close to the supernatural have to be a bit sneaky and subtle. All part of the fun and a way to have two settings in the same city, one more blatantly supernatural than the other.

Cargocultist

Validated User
I didn’t know about the Kickstarter, but happy to wait to buy the supplement as soon as it’s published. I like the idea of London as two settings in one, it opens the way to a lot of intrigue and covert ops south of the river.

Astronocky

For those interested in developments, dr_mitch dr_mitch posted the following news on The Gaming Tavern
I've posted this across social media, but thought I'd also share what's currently happening when it comes to Liminal here.

As you all know, it's currently available in PDF and print on demand forms. The Quickstart and two case notes are also currently available in PDF.

Anyway:

(1) Colour print copies for the print run are now in the UK distribution warehouse. People will probably start seeing them next week.
(2) Liminal has a distribution arrangement with Modiphius starting next month.
(3) A licensed Spanish translation is coming.
(4) The first major supplement, Pax Londinium, is currently getting the Jason Behnke art treatment.
So lots of good news for anyone interested in Liminal.

Top Bottom