• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Liminal RPG. Anyone know anything about it?

ruemere

Validated User
Went for the Color Liminal. It does not really say if the order includes all PDFs, though hopefully it does.

Already considering a crossover with my City of Mist campaign.

dr_mitch

Maths Sensei
Validated User
Thanks everyone. Just to confirm the colour Liminal level does contain all PDFs. Also, anyone who's just ordered has perfect timing; I've just released the pre-release version of the main book PDF to Kickstarter and Backerkit backers.

vitruvian

Validated User
It's the fantastic in the modern UK. Basically urban fantasy though it's not all urban. There are magical societies, the Fae, werewolf gangs, ghosts, and vampires, along with a division of the police who investigate "Fortean crimes". The fantasy elements draw heavily on local history and the landscape.

The player characters are Liminals- those fully aware of the supernatural, but still rooted in the everyday world. They form a crew who work together and take on cases from the factions of the Hidden World, helping ordinary people caught up in the supernatural strangeness, or following their own goals.
I was going to ask here if it bore any resemblance to Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant/Folly series, but went to the Kickstarter page and saw that you specifically reference not just those but also Harry Connolly's Twenty Palaces work.

So, that's a sale, now I just have to budget for it...

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
The art, as stated, is gorgeous. The system is simple and traditional but seems to do its job well. It's not revolutionary of anything but appears (based on reading only) to be satisfactory and not pointlessly crunchy, actually fairly light.

I like the material. I like how it makes guns a big deal (because it's set in Britain), meaning that characters should be discouraged from simply responding to problems with overwhelming firepower. The setting material is interesting, good interpretations of classical faery tale lore into modern context. For example, I like how they solve the "fae cold iron" issue of either it being absolutely everywhere or something mystical - they simply substitute bronze as the kryptonite metal. That way, the things you need are not trivially available everywhere you are but neither is it some magical super-metal. That's the sort of thing you see in the setting - good, modern interpretations of the classical mythology in a way that makes them playable in the modern context. The setting also covers the gamut from street urchins with some magical abilities at their disposal to mystical dragon ghosts residing in spirit world pockets, trying to break free. So there's plenty of scope to it.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
For example, I like how they solve the "fae cold iron" issue of either it being absolutely everywhere or something mystical - they simply substitute bronze as the kryptonite metal.
I've not read it, so I don't know if they make this point, but since the usual reason given for iron being a bane is that it represents human advancement and civilisation, bronze - an alloy humans made - fits that role much better.

Snumpus

Validated User
This sounds marvellous, and a simple but traditional system is right up my alley. Just put in a Backerkit preorder at the all PDF tier.

dr_mitch

Maths Sensei
Validated User
By the way, if anyone who's just preordered on Backerkit doesn't have access to the pre-release PDF, please shout out. I'd screwed that up but it should be fixed now, and you should have it.

Apologies.

Top Bottom